LNWR workbench John

1 hour ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi yes as sold by  LRM. Like you I have put a High Level gearbox in it and it has med a Big difference to the running 

John 

Hi John

Which version of the gearbox did you go for.  I seem to prefer the Road Runner + Compact.  I've got a small Jumbo in the works too a the mo but have not finally decided on gearbox.

Peter

I have only ever used 38, 40 or 50:1 ratios with Mashima motors and never found the need for anything higher (or lower, depending on how you think about gear ratios). I've also mainly used LRM etched motor mounts with their gears (gears supplied by Markits in recent years), but have now tried High Level in one loco and have one of Chris's coreless motor s and gearboexes to tryout.. 

Mashimas -sadly no longer available - run happily with gearing based on a maximum model speed at about 75% of the motors maximum no load speed.

Hi Jol 

Yes im going to try one of the corless motors on the Precursor Tank and if one Will fit on the Lady of the Lake. I still have a Portescap RG4 that I may put in the G 0-8-0 that is also going on at the moment 

John 

Edited by Coal Tank

I have a low loader to go in a GWR 45xx and, as Jol says, I've never gone beyond 60:1

My DX and Coal Engine both have Mashima 1224 with Hi Level 60:1 RR Compact arranged underslung.  Both run sweet.  I have one of Chris's coreless motors in a GWR saddle tank and that is improved over the 1024 that was in it before.  I secure the worms with clear nail varnish so I can get them off easy if I have to swap a motor.

Having said all that, I have very little stock for them to pull so time will tell on the pulling power.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

I have quite a few coaches to get on with and they are my prefered models to make

Looking good and the lining and finishing is exquisite.  I too have quite a few coaches to build but always seem to be drawn to building locos. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Peter 

Thank you for your comments its very encouraging 

John 

John

Can I ask how you achieve such consistent gold/yellow lining around the beading.  Jol says he's doesn't follow the Ian Rathbone technique which I too have trouble with?

Cheers

Peter

28 minutes ago, Brassey said:

John

Can I ask how you achieve such consistent gold/yellow lining around the beading.  Jol says he's doesn't follow the Ian Rathbone technique which I too have trouble with?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

I Just followed Jols articicle in MRJ No 52 I think it was. I remember having quite long conversations with him at an exibition a round about then. I had only Just got back into modelling about then. My only claim to fane was that I was asked by a chap at Pendón if I would do a couple of LNWR coaches for them, I felt too embaressed to do it 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 3

I can't recall how Jol does the lining now, but I've followed Philip Millard's recommendation (from the early 1970's) to first put the 'yellow' (I use to use Humbrol 27) down the beading and then a thin plum down the centre of the 'yellow'.  The final yellow line is thin, but it really lifts the coach livery to a wonderful glow.......

10076460_Dia381AParcelVan.jpg.5708ddbc94e8785b3288ef9f9e262cb7.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Unfortunately the eye sight's gone downhill since those days,
but many thanks for the compliments.
Even the PC screen I'm using has everything in larg'ish font size,
how people can read the text on their ipad phones I have no idea :jester: 
I've moved into that age group that look back, rather than forwards..... 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...

Time to catch UP with this

IMG_20210501_085840.jpg

Very nice.  Just the plumbing to do then!

I have a number of locos stalled at this stage...

Edited by Brassey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi your layout is looking good and seems to be moving forward 

Thanks. A lot of GWR but next stage is to finish off the LNWR stock that is half finished. 

On 09/01/2021 at 13:05, Penlan said:

the 'yellow' (I use to use Humbrol 27) down the beading

Is that right? Humbrol 27 is Sea Grey? whereas 69 is gloss yellow.  Some use Humbrol 7 which is Tan.

Precision Paints also do an LNWR coach lining paint.  Any opinions as to which is best for lining?

As I model the LNWR/GWR joint, I am trying to develop a coach lining technique that is common to both and using the same "gold" would help.

1 hour ago, Brassey said:

Is that right? Humbrol 27 is Sea Grey? whereas 69 is gloss yellow.  Some use Humbrol 7 which is Tan.

Precision Paints also do an LNWR coach lining paint.  Any opinions as to which is best for lining?

As I model the LNWR/GWR joint, I am trying to develop a coach lining technique that is common to both and using the same "gold" would help Hi Peter probably worth asking Jol what he uses now, the technique that Jol uses Will work onGWR coaches 

John 

1 hour ago, Brassey said:

Is that right? Humbrol 27 is Sea Grey?

I've just had a look and it's Humbrol 24 on the 'old' tin (about 30 years old and still useable).
I see I have two tins of 27, both a darkish Grey, but definitely different Greys.
Ones relatively new - English origin and gooy, the others about 25 years old and in good condition.
So, my apologies on that.   Sometimes I have a numeracy block,

which considering I use to be good at Maths, is a bit of a bind.