LNWR workbench John

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John, 

I think that may have gone into the the Alan Gibson range, with other Microrail kits, but they aren't  now listed in the AGW catalogue as far as I know.

Jol

There is a Gibson one going for £59.95 on eBay just now

Cannot add the link as cannot copy from eBay app on this phone 

Did PC models not do one in 4 mm as well?

Edited by Asterix2012

59 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

There is a Gibson one going for £59.95 on eBay just now

Cannot add the link as cannot copy from eBay app on this phone 

Did PC models not do one in 4 mm as well?

That looks like the small horsebox, which I think is the Microrail one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203692487116?hash=item2f6d04b1cc:g:EOgAAOSwRKthi8UD

There are several LNWR Horsebox kits, for different Diagrams. The LNWRS website lists them, at the bottom of this page;

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/4mmcarriages

The LRM kits for the D438 is still produced, the Wizard D436 is listed but out of stock, the PC kit (D?) regularly turns up on ebay - there are two listed at present as well as a built version of the D&S although it looks different  (shorter) to the photo on the LNWRS website.

John,

it is a brass casting and fits to the RH motion bracket (fireman's side).

1931834358_RHsideweb.jpg.1960fb3eca4c8bf5b28ff0ff6decd869.jpg

Contact John Redrup at LRM, although I know he is waiting for a batch of lost wax brass castings at present. All the down stream suppliers (etchers, casters, box manufacturers, etc.) seem to have long lead times at present.

Jol

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John,

it is a brass casting and fits to the RH motion bracket (fireman's side).

1931834358_RHsideweb.jpg.1960fb3eca4c8bf5b28ff0ff6decd869.jpg

Contact John Redrup at LRM, although I know he is waiting for a batch of lost wax brass castings at present. All the down stream suppliers (etchers, casters, box manufacturers, etc.) seem to have long lead times at present.

Jol

Hi Jol, yes I Will Im going to order some six wheel coaches soon so Ill get him to put it in with them. I live in Spain so ill try to make it as economic as possible 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

..... Do you have a cradle of some sort for the coach when working on the sides? .

Lousy picture, but this is one half of my 'Cradle' the other half is some rolled up lead sheet with a thin/dense foam on it, one part of the circumference being flat so it doesn't roll away, date of the book is 1969, so I've been using this for say 45 years +, better use of it than all the theory. 

The books thickness is about 40mm, just right for 8' wide stock :jester:

Img_5805.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

Hi Peter, they came with the Kit so I don't know

John 

Hi John,

OK.  Yes I think they are and that must be a rather old kit.  My Brassmasters Experiment class came with the cutouts and instructions prepared for Maygib hornblocks but they weren't included.  It also had the cutouts for Studiolith hornblocks which must date back to the 70's. Also not included. I fitted MJT hornblocks but High Level would have done the trick too.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and building my C Class with CSB

Peter

• Like 1

The plastic hornguides look like the Kean Maygib ones. Although the C Class (if it is an LRM kit) was introduced over twenty years ago, I think the KM  guides and bearings were no longer still available then. LRM have never provided hornblocks in their kits as a matter of course but have sold their own design from before the C Class kit was designed. 

I built my C Class with drive to the rear axle, a compensating beam on the front two axles and sprung the third, flangeless wheels, axle. It seemed the easiest option for P4 and has worked well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_3727.jpeg.421ea9cec8152b4a376df98166337637.jpeg

I’ve read quite a bit on here about painting and lining and thought it was time I made a positive contribution. The LNWR livery is extremely attractive but notoriously difficult to achieve. I have tried it on a few models over the years but not had any success, so spurred on by contributions to this and Jol Wilkinson’s thread I have been making a determined effort over the last few weeks and think I am now making headway. The photo is an old Northstar 7mm scale 45 ft full brake, a kit which I have had in the kit cupboard since I bought it in 2004. The painting and lining follow the principles set out in MRJ 52 ( I think this is still available as a back number) except that I have yet to master the bow pen. The body is sprayed with Precision Paint LNWR coach plum and coach white, though I find the white is too blue for my eye and mixed it with plain white.

The yellow lining is Humbrol No 7 applied with a Bob Moore lining pen using a standard plus head. The plum is a mix of Rotring red and black ink (roughly 70/30, but is not really critical) applied with a Rotring pen with 0.4 nib. The transfers are from an old HMRS pressfix sheet and a coat of Precision satin varnish completes the job.

Golden rules which I have learnt the hard way:-

Always draw a lining or tubular pen towards you, never push it or it will dig up minute flecks of base paint which will block the tube/nib

Only ever used gloss paint in the Bob Moores pen, the matting agent in any other paint will block the tube no matter how much you hope you can get away with it.

Only ever use inks in a Rotring pen, never thinned paint as this will ruin it and you will have to buy a new one, don’t ask me how I know this.

Having got this far I’m quite pleased with the result. I know it has errors and blodges but I think you get to the point where you have to stop reaching for the paint stripper and decide that its good enough. Hopefully my next kit will be better, but at least I have finally conquered my fear of the LNWR livery and look forward to my next attempt.

One final word of advice, beware of showing a full brake to your other half as there may be a comment of “very nice but have you forgotten the windows?”

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

IMG_3743.jpeg.8a953d32215c3358a3a0f43ca965d37d.jpeg

Another build which I have been progressing over the last 12 months is this Fourtracks model of a Webb Jubilee  Its recently been painted and now awaits lining which will be pressfix transfers. The excellent artwork for the body etch will be familiar to a regular contributor to this forum. I suspect it was originally designed for 4mm scale and I found bending all the curvy bodywork quite difficult in the thicker sheet used for 7mm but the effort is well worthwhile as its a very attractive prototype.  

One outstanding item is name and numberplate. Since the demise of Guilplates I'm unsure where I can now obtain these, I have thought of asking 247 developments but any advice would be welcome.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

IMG_3743.jpeg.8a953d32215c3358a3a0f43ca965d37d.jpeg

Another build which I have been progressing over the last 12 months is this Fourtracks model of a Webb Jubilee  Its recently been painted and now awaits lining which will be pressfix transfers. The excellent artwork for the body etch will be familiar to a regular contributor to this forum. I suspect it was originally designed for 4mm scale and I found bending all the curvy bodywork quite difficult in the thicker sheet used for 7mm but the effort is well worthwhile as its a very attractive prototype.  

One outstanding item is name and numberplate. Since the demise of Guilplates I'm unsure where I can now obtain these, I have thought of asking 247 developments but any advice would be welcome.

The Jubilee artwork was originally 4mm and etched in .015" n/s. John Shelley asked for it to be "blown up" to 7mm for his FourTracks range. The artwork was amended for correct bearing hole sizes etc.  but it was all produced in .018" N/S (rather than redesigning it for different thickness materials to keep the artwork costs down)

When John Shelley retired and moved to France the FourTrack kits were sold on (which included some other London Road Models that had also been produced in 7mm) and are know available through Dragon Models.

I can't help with a name/number plate supplier for 7mm but suggest you contact Dragon Models as they may know of someone. I had some NER number plates produced by Narrow Planet (which may now be https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/custom-etched-products), perhaps worth a try.

This is the first time I've seen a build of a 7mm kit. The attached shows my own 4mm version.

LNWR Jubilee.JPG

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Amended text
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

19 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

That Jubilee looks good, maybe show us when it is finished. 

IMG_3750.jpeg.ef41bb84adff6769a27d569a6bc656b8.jpeg

Lining has started so the end is in sight. The camera is cruel and shows up the warped platform. The accepted advice is to always use an odd number of plastikard lamination, this is a good example of what happens if you think 2 layers will be OK.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2