Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

Well no more has happened to this layout yet I did however receive my order from Andy Stadden which included William Stroudley, who shall take pride of place outside the works, however he will also have to find a spot on my other layouts as well as he sent me 3 of them!!!!!!!

So allow me to introduce the Stroudley Triplets:

attachicon.gif2017-09-01 19.11.00.jpg

This of course sets the scene very clearly as Brighton, and so I think a name change is in order, although I still don't want to call it Brighton Works as it is only inspired by so I am thinking the layout may end up being called "Brighthelmstone Works". For those unaware Brighthelmstone is an archaic name for Brighton in use at the time of the doomsday book, and derives from the Saxon name of the settlement.

Thoughts?

Gary

Finally the truth is revealed, there was no single Stroudley designing locos for the LB&SC.....there were three of them! A different one went into the works each day so as not arouse suspicion, very clever! :P

Seriously though the figures look great, and It will nice to see him make a cameo appearance on you different layouts. I really like the name (mainly because I LOVE anything Anglo-Saxon) and it fits perfectly. :)

Alex

I am rather a fan of Brighthelmstone, as I, too, like the use of Anglo-Saxon for naming fictional versions of real places. 

For instance, I considered a fictional ECML station, GN Section, somewhere near the real Peterborough.  Later it became clear that it could also be the 'mainland' jumping-off place for my fictional Fenland Island and eventually link via Bishop's Lynn to the West Norfolk.

The Anglo-Saxon name for Peterborough was "Medeshampstead/Medeshamstede", which I think is a lovely name, and 'Meadhampstead' (to modernise a little) would suit a railway station!

Tolkien was a great one for taking old words (or inventing them!) and then modernising the spelling, as if the spelling had evolved over time.  Nothing wrong with Brighthelmstone,though it could have evolved to be, say, 'Brightonstone', which is a little less of a mouthful for moderns.

Railways often took up their own spellings of place names, and you could always spell it 'Brighthelmstone', but pronounce it 'Brightonstun' or 'Brightstun', for added verisimilitude!

I suspect, though, you could do worse that leave it as it is.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I do enjoy the evolution of names although I can't see the link between "Medeshamstede" and "Peterborough"!! but "Meadhampstead" does make a good name for a ECML layout.

Just wondering though James, do you intend on modelling the entirety of the British Isles at some point?? With a railway in every town! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• Like 2

I do enjoy the evolution of names although I can't see the link between "Medeshamstede" and "Peterborough"!! but "Meadhampstead" does make a good name for a ECML layout.

Just wondering though James, do you intend on modelling the entirety of the British Isles at some point?? With a railway in every town! :jester: :jester:

Gary

If I could, Gary, I would.  At the moment keeping healthy and solvent enough for long enough to finish Castle Aching seems enough of a challenge! 

Apparently insurmountable financial problems are, once again, crowding round and trying to usher in that black dog!  If CA goes quiet again, it is because I'm busy giving my demons a damn good hiding, though for the present I am able to enjoy modelling vicariously via your efforts!

• RMweb Gold

James,

Sorry to hear the finances are bad again, it is something I am familiar with. I must say I am surprised the house has not sold!! Having seen the pictures, if I had the money I would have it, but something tells me you need more than a tenner though!!!

I am glad my modelling gives you something to enjoy through the dark times, hopefully they will not last long.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Gary,

I assume, although I have no definite knowledge, that as 'borough' was a Viking term, the Vikings actually took over and renamed the town rather than setting up a another town/village nearby which is what usually happened.  According to the modern fount off all Knowledge, Jimo Wales Big Bag of Trivia I am almost correct.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medeshamstede

Just to point out Andy Stadden does neither Saxon or Viking figures to fit in with a Saxon layout named Brighton. :jester:

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

The next step for this layout is what goes under the turntable, on the prototype this was steel with t section strengtheners, I wondered what I could use to make this then remembered i had these:

post-22762-0-97007900-1505246286_thumb.jpg

Looks like that job is sorted and I can get on with making the turntable!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Gary,

I assume, although I have no definite knowledge, that as 'borough' was a Viking term, the Vikings actually took over and renamed the town rather than setting up a another town/village nearby which is what usually happened.  According to the modern fount off all Knowledge, Jimo Wales Big Bag of Trivia I am almost correct.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medeshamstede

Just to point out Andy Stadden does neither Saxon or Viking figures to fit in with a Saxon layout named Brighton. :jester:

My reading is that “borough” is an old English word used to denote fortifications put up to defend against Vikings.

Not that it matters massively.

• RMweb Gold

You could always get a 3D scan done by Modelu  of this lot, seen on our way to the 2014 Brighton Modelworld. Don't let's get into a massive debate on the shape of their helmets!

post-14351-0-68148200-1509257052_thumb.jpg

Of course there is already a railway in Brighton whose name can be traced back to the Saxons -

post-14351-0-65403300-1509258478_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi people!!!!

Weren't expecting to see an update here today were you?

I now find myself in a situation where I can work on this layout a bit more freely, and so I have spent the morning playing and I have re-designed the track plan. I think this new layout works better as the back track is no longer attached to the turntable so trains of supplies and workers (The Brighthelmstone Belle) can be brought in!

Thoughts please?

post-22762-0-06679200-1518870840_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 10

Hi people!!!!

Weren't expecting to see an update here today were you?

I now find myself in a situation where I can work on this layout a bit more freely, and so I have spent the morning playing and I have re-designed the track plan. I think this new layout works better as the back track is no longer attached to the turntable so trains of supplies and workers (The Brighthelmstone Belle) can be brought in!

Thoughts please?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180217_121606.jpg

Gary

post-25673-0-39350000-1518872450.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes the plan is still for this to be a photo plank. I have started work on the low relief backscene. showing the new design for the end wall. It won't be flat when it is finished!!

post-22762-0-70389100-1518885575_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well this is how far I got with the end of the building yesterday!!

post-22762-0-70924000-1518956155_thumb.jpg

I am quite happy with that for a days progress especially as I don't usually work with wood!!!

I have now started working on the back section.

post-22762-0-08380800-1518956150_thumb.jpg

We shall see how far I get with this!

Gary

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

After a fair amount of cutting and fiddling I finally have a back wall to show!!

post-22762-0-96964000-1519221471_thumb.jpg

You can now really get a feel of how the layout will look when it is completed. I have started work on adding details to the end wall, and then shall do the same to the back wall.

I think I will have to put something on the backscene to represent the inside of the works with the windows being so big! However I'm not sure what to do. I also am unsure on how to represent the roof behind the back wall!

As a reminder of what we are aiming for here is the picture of the works that this is based on again:

post-22762-0-76932600-1519221659_thumb.jpg

Any ideas greatly received.

Gary

• Like 10

After a fair amount of cutting and fiddling I finally have a back wall to show!!

attachicon.gif2018-02-20 21.29.00.jpg

You can now really get a feel of how the layout will look when it is completed. I have started work on adding details to the end wall, and then shall do the same to the back wall.

I think I will have to put something on the backscene to represent the inside of the works with the windows being so big! However I'm not sure what to do. I also am unsure on how to represent the roof behind the back wall!

As a reminder of what we are aiming for here is the picture of the works that this is based on again:

attachicon.gifworks old b.jpg

Any ideas greatly received.

Gary

Looking good. You have got to the excitement building level of the project for me.

• Like 3

Gary

I also am unsure on how to represent the roof behind the back wall!

If you could move the wall clear of the back of the module by even an inch, you could include a foreshortened roof (a very steep slope but the slates in perspective) and you would have space to have something vague going on behind the windows.

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a slight concern that you may have your buildings too tall. Theres something not quite right about the proportions of the door entrance. Looking at the picture of the works, I think the door isn't as tall as it seems, look at the open wagon in front and the opening looks lower....

Other wise it really is beginning to look the business, and I like the idea of having the roof as the top of the back scene...

Andy G

• Like 2