Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

• RMweb Gold

Well I must admit I spent some time playing with Eric's idea, However the resolution of the image just isn't good enough for print in 4mm scale! Although the idea could work with a better image.

As for the layout I have sanded down everything so that it is ready to take some paint and scenery. although no photos of that as it's a bit boring

However I have been playing with some ideas for a low-loader to pose my 009 stock on for photos until I have a layout for them.

I have 2 options for the wagon at the moment. Both are Tri-ang wagons, there is the 8 wheel well wagon and the 12 wheel well wagon used with the battle space sets. My idea is to cut away the middle of the wagons so that I can sink the tracks into them so the railhead sits where the existing top of the well is. I will then fill in the top giving a solid base surrounding the track.

The question is which wagon does everyone think would work better for this purpose??

8 Wheel:

post-22762-0-14747300-1496137675_thumb.jpg

12 Wheel:

post-22762-0-81290600-1496137689_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It might be easier to cut away the plastic sleepers and web where it fouls the structure of the well wagon, plus a bit more, so that the rails look as if they are bolted/spiked to timber packing between the cross-members.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Following the discussion here and on my Oak Hill thread the well wagon has moved on, a bit!

I have cut a new deck for the top which fits around the rails giving what I think is quite a nice finish:

post-22762-0-83879500-1496755914_thumb.jpg

I have also decided that the best route for lowering the wagon to remove the extra 2mm that Tri-ang put in was to replace the bogies so some new ones were ordered from Cambrian, they are a SR design but are similar to an LSWR design so I was happy with this, what I didn't realise at the time is that the axleboxes are a separate fitting, this means I get get some of Chris Cox's (5and9models) LB&SCR ones to make it that bit better (I just have to decide what else to order to justify the postage cost):

post-22762-0-46193900-1496755926_thumb.jpg

As you can see these bogies have the same wheelbase as the originals:

post-22762-0-44932700-1496756130_thumb.jpg

To go with this I have got some Alan Gibson 10.5mm solid disk wheels giving me something good to get going with:

post-22762-0-76248200-1496756161_thumb.jpg

I am now considering how to finish the deck, my preferred option at the moment is to scribe planking into it to represent a wooden deck, and then also cut some plasticard to cover the sections above the bogies and do the same. What does everyone think about this??

Also if I did take this route what colour would the deck be?? The rest of the wagon would be in grey as that was the colour The Brighton used but would the wooden deck be grey as well?? or would it have been unpainted?? or something different??

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

Following the discussion here and on my Oak Hill thread the well wagon has moved on, a bit!

I have cut a new deck for the top which fits around the rails giving what I think is quite a nice finish:

attachicon.gifdeck.jpg

I have also decided that the best route for lowering the wagon to remove the extra 2mm that Tri-ang put in was to replace the bogies so some new ones were ordered from Cambrian, they are a SR design but are similar to an LSWR design so I was happy with this, what I didn't realise at the time is that the axleboxes are a separate fitting, this means I get get some of Chris Cox's (5and9models) LB&SCR ones to make it that bit better (I just have to decide what else to order to justify the postage cost):

attachicon.gifbogie.jpg

As you can see these bogies have the same wheelbase as the originals:

attachicon.gifbogieOnWagon.jpg

To go with this I have got some Alan Gibson 10.5mm solid disk wheels giving me something good to get going with:

attachicon.gifwheels.jpg

I am now considering how to finish the deck, my preferred option at the moment is to scribe planking into it to represent a wooden deck, and then also cut some plasticard to cover the sections above the bogies and do the same. What does everyone think about this??

Also if I did take this route what colour would the deck be?? The rest of the wagon would be in grey as that was the colour The Brighton used but would the wooden deck be grey as well?? or would it have been unpainted?? or something different??

Gary

Like what you've don; very much the right answer, I would say.  See my response on Oak Hill for my twopenneth.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I'm glad you posted here as with this "moderated status" thing going on and the eventful evening I have had I think I would have missed your post on Oak Hill had you not mentioned it here.

Gary

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has been over a month since I posted here!! The good news is this project is still very much alive!! In fact I have done some work on it today!

I have cut the turntable well and painted the boards black all over, I have done this since the ground is going to be covered entirely with ash so I think this is the best colour for the base:

post-22762-0-46654000-1499805143_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been able to work on this layout again!!!

As usual it is not much but the turntable well and table have begun to be fashioned.

post-22762-0-13882900-1502831155_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-69005500-1502831145_thumb.jpg

The plasticard used for the edging is the same height as the sleepers SO I just need to cut them off the bottom of the rails and bond them to this, suggestions for adhesive would be appreciated.

Am I a layout yet:

post-22762-0-88324900-1502831149_thumb.jpg

I am rather happy with how it is going.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

Nothing special, I drew circles on plasticard with a compass set to the right measurement. and cut it out carefully with my X-acto knife. The sides were then measured and cut before being stuck onto the base and top, and a strip of brickwork after.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been able to work on this layout this week :( focus has been on Oak Hill. However I did get some real ash taken out of some 7 1/4 inch steam locos for the ballast on this layout:

post-22762-0-51158900-1503423441_thumb.jpg

Now does anyone know where i can get a 4mm William Stroudley?? Once I have one of them I will have pretty much everything I need for this one.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a warning Gary.  Check the conductivity of the ash.

Back in the 80s a neighbouring club decided to use genuine NER ash to represent NER ash ballast.  The layout never worked (well not that bit) because they (eventually) found the ash was conductive and provided a complete short between the tracks.

Your ash may well be very different and not a problem, but as well to check before it all gats fixed down. 

Edited by Andy Hayter

• RMweb Gold

William Stroudle:  I know Andy Stadden did do some for a giveaway when he did some other set, so it might be worth asking him.  If he has none left, (likely), or he does not want to do another run of them then let me know.

• RMweb Gold

William Stroudle:  I know Andy Stadden did do some for a giveaway when he did some other set, so it might be worth asking him.  If he has none left, (likely), or he does not want to do another run of them then let me know.

I have dropped him an email, hopefully I will hear back soon.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

I have placed an order for some other figures and Andy is going to stick a 4mm William Stroudley in with the order for free!!!!

Gary

Gary,

Brilliant!  I deliberately buy stuff from him even if it is not 100% essential, as in 1860s figures, as he does this as a side line.  I am sure he enjoys it but his main work is commissions.  When he does his H0 train crew with detachable arms I will buy some as firstly I want one of them which will have no whiskers and what could pass as a sleeved waistcoat as a single box lad, like in this photo, and secondly I understand they fit better in 00 loco cabs.  I have some H0 standing figures, and some of the ladies will do as teenagers, but I am not sure I can find a use for his standing and now sitting 2mm Edwardian figures.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

Brilliant!  I deliberately buy stuff from him even if it is not 100% essential, as in 1860s figures, as he does this as a side line.  I am sure he enjoys it but his main work is commissions.  When he does his H0 train crew with detachable arms I will buy some as firstly I want one of them which will have no whiskers and what could pass as a sleeved waistcoat as a single box lad, like in this photo, and secondly I understand they fit better in 00 loco cabs.  I have some H0 standing figures, and some of the ladies will do as teenagers, but I am not sure I can find a use for his standing and now sitting 2mm Edwardian figures.

I agree.  Some of the best, probably the best, figures out there.  I went straight for the 1860s figures.  No idea when and how I'll use them, but models of this quality deserve to be bought, and I'll enjoy painting them up.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well no more has happened to this layout yet I did however receive my order from Andy Stadden which included William Stroudley, who shall take pride of place outside the works, however he will also have to find a spot on my other layouts as well as he sent me 3 of them!!!!!!!

So allow me to introduce the Stroudley Triplets:

post-22762-0-28445400-1504615384_thumb.jpg

This of course sets the scene very clearly as Brighton, and so I think a name change is in order, although I still don't want to call it Brighton Works as it is only inspired by so I am thinking the layout may end up being called "Brighthelmstone Works". For those unaware Brighthelmstone is an archaic name for Brighton in use at the time of the doomsday book, and derives from the Saxon name of the settlement.

Thoughts?

Gary

• Like 4

Guest Midland Mole

Finally the truth is revealed, there was no single Stroudley designing locos for the LB&SC.....there were three of them! A different one went into the works each day so as not arouse suspicion, very clever! :P

Seriously though the figures look great, and It will nice to see him make a cameo appearance on you different layouts. I really like the name (mainly because I LOVE anything Anglo-Saxon) and it fits perfectly. :)

Alex

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alex,

That makes 2 of us that love all things Anglo-Saxon! In fact my interest in that period is what made me think of using that name!!

And you didn't really think that just 1 man could design so many great locos did you?! I think it will be good to have him hidden away somewhere on the exhibition layout and have a blurb about him for people to read before looking for him!!

Gary

• Like 4