Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Yes I think you may be right about the height of the buildings, however it isn't as bad as it looks in the pictures. I measured the building against some Hornby 7-plank wagons I had on the workbench this morning. The building is as tall as 3 of them so while I think the building may be a bit too tall, I'm not sure it is too much, I will get some low down pictures later and have a look from that angle.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure I would change anything Gary.  It is important to remember that this is a works and not just a loco shed.  So there will have been built-in headroom for lifting large bits of metal as well as room for the cranes/lifting gear themselves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have made some more production on Brighthelmstone, and I must say I think it is starting to look rather good!

The walls have started to have details added, and I never realised just how Roman some Victorian architecture could look!!

post-22762-0-64922300-1519337160_thumb.jpg

The back wall has had some detail added as well:

post-22762-0-99275100-1519337163_thumb.jpg

And when put together give a much better look to the scene:

post-22762-0-86902900-1519337165_thumb.jpg

Finally a question, The yard being as large as it is it needs some form of lighting, you can see some lamps on the photo of the works I posted. I have found some of my platform lamps on the workbench this evening, what do people think of these, I only have the 3 so I may need to spread them out a bit more!

post-22762-0-52046100-1519337168_thumb.jpg

That is all for this evening.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone!! I hope you are well?

All I can say about what I have been up to so far is, isn't it amazing how much a coat of paint can change something??

post-22762-0-60636900-1519415684_thumb.jpg

It still has more work to do, but I am impressed with how it is looking!!

Gary

• Like 4

Good evening everyone!! I hope you are well?

All I can say about what I have been up to so far is, isn't it amazing how much a coat of paint can change something??

attachicon.gif2018-02-22 21.46.53.jpg

It still has more work to do, but I am impressed with how it is looking!!

Gary

Nice tones to the brick there, Gary.  Subtle yet warm and nicely varied.

Thanks James,

It is Humbrol number 70 (Brick Red) in a single coat, applied rather unevenly to get the variation in tone. I am hoping that this will give quite a good look under a heavy layer of weathering.

Gary

Which only goes to show how sometimes the simple works the best. You have a good eye for this sort of thing.

• RMweb Gold

Another quick update.I have painted the back wall of the loco yard, and repositioned the lamps closer to the buildings.

post-22762-0-61438200-1519507897_thumb.jpg

It it really starting to look Victorian now!! Just need to leave the paint to fully harden then I will weather it!

Gary

• Like 10

Your platform on CA is a longer distance that the whole of this layout!! so you have beat this one!! Brighthelmstone is less that the length of a piece of flexitrack!!

Gary

Well, yes, but you don't have to accommodate trains.  Yours is a nicely balanced composition.

Thanks to DonW's cunning track plan, I reckon I'll get at least 53" of platform face!

What are you doing about a turn table?  I'm having to address my mind to this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So as mentioned above I have turned my attention to the turntable.

So far this has revolved around the well.

I cut into the sides of the well to represent the slabs around the edge:

post-22762-0-82175700-1519596792_thumb.jpg

and then the whole table got a coat of paint, grey for the stone areas, and brick red for the bricks:

post-22762-0-55293300-1519596794_thumb.jpg

I then re-cut the slabs and gave the grey a second coat, along with adding a tube for the table to slide into, the table will have a rod that fits inside this on the bottom, this will go all the way through allowing a mechanism to be fitted.

post-22762-0-69435300-1519597136_thumb.jpg

After this my soldering iron came out, along with a piece of N gauge rail, which was bent around a former and soldered into a circle to create the rail for the table to run on.

post-22762-0-47699700-1519596796_thumb.jpg

That is all for this evening, it'll soon be time to actually stick the track down on the layout!!

Gary

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well following on from the work on the well. I figured I should start work on the table itself!

I first decided I needed a way of getting the rails the correct spacing, being a 00 gauge modeller who has only ever used ready to lay track I don't own a set of track gauges.

So I built some!!

post-22762-0-53964800-1519682222_thumb.jpg

Very crude but they do the trick!

The next step was to cut up my Dapol (Airfix) Turntable to make the girders for underneath the table:

post-22762-0-68528900-1519682472_thumb.jpg

and with some paint splashed on and positioned on the layout with a bit of track over the top!

post-22762-0-68454600-1519682474_thumb.jpg

So it is starting to look like a turntable, now to go and find out how good my home made track gauges are!!

Gary

• Like 3

Well following on from the work on the well. I figured I should start work on the table itself!

I first decided I needed a way of getting the rails the correct spacing, being a 00 gauge modeller who has only ever used ready to lay track I don't own a set of track gauges.

So I built some!!

attachicon.gif2018-02-25 12.29.19.jpg

Very crude but they do the trick!

The next step was to cut up my Dapol (Airfix) Turntable to make the girders for underneath the table:

attachicon.gif2018-02-25 21.37.29.jpg

and with some paint splashed on and positioned on the layout with a bit of track over the top!

attachicon.gif2018-02-25 22.41.44.jpg

So it is starting to look like a turntable, now to go and find out how good my home made track gauges are!!

Gary

Great stuff, Gary

Where you lead, I shall surely follow!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone!!

I know you must all have 1 question for me!

and the answer is..

YES!!!!

My home made track gauges did work!!

IMG_20180227_214826.jpg

I am hoping you can all see the image OK as I cannot upload! I notice other people with the same issue so I assume RMWeb is having some issues with that!!!

Gary

• Like 6