Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

Good evening everyone!!

I know you must all have 1 question for me!

and the answer is..

YES!!!!

My home made track gauges did work!!

IMG_20180227_214826.jpg

I am hoping you can all see the image OK as I cannot upload! I notice other people with the same issue so I assume RMWeb is having some issues with that!!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Careful, they will have you building track now!

• Like 2

Gary,

You've given me the courage to attempt my own turntable (45') for Hastings when I get the boards made, as I'm a bit too stingy to pay out £70 for a brass kit! Seeing yours and how decently it's been put together makes me think I might manage one myself.

Keep up the good work, me lad!

- Alex

This is all getting very interesting!

Here is Gary with his 50' table, Alex needing a 45' table and me needing a 46' table.   

It will be good to see what we each come up with.

Frankly, I'll be delighted to know with what I'm coming up! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

You've given me the courage to attempt my own turntable (45') for Hastings when I get the boards made, as I'm a bit too stingy to pay out £70 for a brass kit! Seeing yours and how decently it's been put together makes me think I might manage one myself.

Keep up the good work, me lad!

- Alex

I can send you the guide I am using over. It came out of an old MRJ, I can't remember which issue it was off hand, but with RMWeb not letting pictures upload at the moment it will have to wait!!

This is all getting very interesting!

Here is Gary with his 50' table, Alex needing a 45' table and me needing a 46' table.   

It will be good to see what we each come up with.

Frankly, I'll be delighted to know with what I'm coming up! 

It's not a 50' Although the guide I'm using is for a 50' I scaled it down, as the Brighton didn't have turntables that size, especially not in 1870!! I'm not 100% sure but off the top of my head I think it is a 42'

Gary

• Like 2

I can send you the guide I am using over. It came out of an old MRJ, I can't remember which issue it was off hand, but with RMWeb not letting pictures upload at the moment it will have to wait!!

I think that may have been No. 25, p243 on an NER one.   You can see how I did my turntable here .  I could PM the article I wrote on it for the 2MM Magazine to you, Alex and Edwardian if any of you would like it. Unless, of course, there is somewhere on here where you can upload files, of which I'm not aware?

Jim

• Like 2

I think that may have been No. 25, p243 on an NER one.   You can see how I did my turntable here .  I could PM the article I wrote on it for the 2MM Magazine to you, Alex and Edwardian if any of you would like it. Unless, of course, there is somewhere on here where you can upload files, of which I'm not aware?

Jim

That would be helpful, thank you, as the TT is the next thing I'll be head scratching over.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are right Jim! MRJ number 25 page 243.

You article would be very helpful, after all while I may look like I have a plan, I am most definitely making it up as I go along!!

and I was right, Brighthelmstone is getting a 42' turntable!

Gary

• Like 2

I am very taken with the idea behind this model.

Towards the end of the last millenium, I bought a kit from Model Masterpieces in the US for an HO scale 50' turntable. "Converted" to 4mm scale, this seemed close enough to a 42' table (actually 43' 9" to be precise) and, ignoring the instructions, the bits could be assembled into a passable UK model. It was a multi-media kit, with a cast plaster well, a machined central block, cast whitemetal girders and a stripwood top. I wonder if there are still kits around, possibly for the Colorado narrow gauge lines, that could be similarly adapted?  

And coming back to a point that I made in an earlier post, I do wonder if there is a market for a printed backscene along the lines of Gary's Brighthelmstone Works. Am I really the only person with more locomotives than I can use - and nowhere to show them off? 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Eric,

That is rather interesting, although I am not a fan of cast plaster!

As for the printed back scenes, I think it is a great idea, a market may well be there, and you are definitely not the only one with more locos that you can use! After all that is one of the things that inspired me to build this layout!!

Gary

PS. If you want an article once it's finished I am doing my best to keep a good photographic record of the build!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So I suppose it is about time to tell you how I am getting on with the turntable! As you can see in the last picture I uploaded. I had already marked the sides up for the railings to be added to the table. I however then could not find the brass I was going to use for this, the only stuff I could find was to flimsy!!

I spent quite a while looking for this, however after a while I came up with a new idea! Track pins!!

These turned out to be the height I wanted and worked brilliantly! With the flimsy brass forming the bar across the top. I am quite happy with how this has turned out!!

post-22762-0-81550900-1519857469_thumb.jpg

SO the turntable is getting quite close now. Off for some more work and another update tomorrow!!

Gary

• Like 3

So I suppose it is about time to tell you how I am getting on with the turntable! As you can see in the last picture I uploaded. I had already marked the sides up for the railings to be added to the table. I however then could not find the brass I was going to use for this, the only stuff I could find was to flimsy!!

I spent quite a while looking for this, however after a while I came up with a new idea! Track pins!!

These turned out to be the height I wanted and worked brilliantly! With the flimsy brass forming the bar across the top. I am quite happy with how this has turned out!!

attachicon.gif2018-02-27 23.00.21.jpg

SO the turntable is getting quite close now. Off for some more work and another update tomorrow!!

Gary

Ha, Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!

Well done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I suppose you all want to see how the turntable turned out then?

Well, I added the push bars, (not sure what they are really called) and the handbrakes on both sides. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!!

post-22762-0-89628400-1519937224_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-94034800-1519936684_thumb.jpg

So that's that then!! Time for the next bit of the layout!

and Sir Eustace mentioned my new by from eBay, which if you follow the eBay madness thread you will know what it is! but for those that don't it has arrived!!!!!

and it is................

post-22762-0-15917800-1519936687_thumb.jpg

a new yet slightly strangle coloured LB&SCR B1!!!!

David Attenborough voice over:

and here we see a pair of wild Brighton B1's meeting for the first time. They are not sure what to think and stare each other down. If we are lucky we will get to see them accept each other and begin the drawn out B1 mating process.

post-22762-0-33807400-1519936689_thumb.jpg

and just as a comparison, here is the loco posed next to my E5 which is painted with Phoenix Improved Engine Green:

post-22762-0-24400300-1519936691_thumb.jpg

I think I had best get the paint out!!!!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 7