A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

At the moment, this is just a holding page for the first of my entries. 

The layout will be a simple freight-only shunting plank-type affair, using standard Peco Code 75 and RTR stock.

Scenically, I've not yet decided on what/where I want to base it.

Ok, so I now know that this competition entry will be an improved version of the armaments store first discussed here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45743-armaments-store-shhhh/

Further thoughts and plans will be added as I think about them.

Oh, and I've kept the name, sort of.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

"4mm something" - best layout name I've heard for a while, I hereby challenge you to keep it :)  

Challenge accepted :)

Well that was easy...

Mikkel, try to get him to do something harder :D

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Haha, plans are now formulating, and I'm fairly convinced no-one will have built one of these before.

And, it will definitely qualify for an eye-level layout...

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure on the 'rules' for a cameo layout but would this be one cameo or three cameo layouts?

Either way, I can only follow this thread once!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Is still a holding page?

I am not at liberty to confirm, or deny, whether this is in fact, or fiction, or maybe both, any such information and/or fake news, until such times as, or intended, any physical, virtual, or contemplatory work may or may not have taken place or been considered.

HTH.

• RMweb Gold

Stubby with a post like that I guess you will be standing in the forthcoming elections? Or at least join the civil service. Your talent for written gobbledygook cannot be wasted!! Lol

Steve

May I refer the member for Llanelli to seek several previous posts by the good Cap'n, which have been made in a similar eloquent manner.

• Like 1

May I refer the member for Llanelli to seek several previous posts by the good Cap'n, which have been made in a similar eloquent manner.

At least we know where we stand with the P.O.R.N . Party ( Party of Railway Nutters )

VOTE CAST !

B.Innit

• RMweb Gold

A couple of track plans to help explain my thinking.

Firstly, the ground level plan.  Sited on the edge of an airfield, DM Something (4mm) will have a few military-style buildings and a control tower overlooking the airfield, which is beyond/on the back scene.

Enter stage right will be both  a standard gauge line and a narrow gauge line.

The standard gauge will have a short loop and a couple of additional sidings, plus the exchange siding for the underground stores.

The narrow gauge will just lead directly to the hoist.

Now, obviously the requirements for both standard and narrow gauge track, joining and crossing, would suppose I'm intending to build my own track.  Hah, not a bit, I'll be using Tillig dual gauge stuff.

So, the plan itself:

post-7025-0-71160300-1493898322_thumb.png

The black line is very much based on the track plan for Treamble, but given the board will be somewhat wider than 9" I should get a little more space and the chance to curve the lines from the parallel-to-the-board-edge look. Stock will be vans and covered open wagons, which will be hoisted down to the stores and back (the opens with folded tarps inside). A dedicated stores loco will run between the exchange siding and the hoist, mainline locos will deposit & collect from the exchange siding.

The red line is the narrow gauge. Rolling stock on the NG will consist of some aramaments trolleys (possibly utilising the new Peco Slate wagons), which will run off scene loaded to arm the aircraft and return empty. A single loco will work all of the NG track.

The hoist, therefore will be long enough to accommodate the stores loco and one 10ft wagon, the platform will be dual gauge. The hoist carriage will run against rails place vertically in each corner (O gauge track rail), the rails will also provide the power for the track. A counter-weight and multi-pulley connection will be used to ease the strain on the winding gear.

There will be two lower levels, one standard gauge, one NG, but laid out in a similar formation.  Blast doors (the red lines ) will be operational, and will allow wagons to be removed/replace with unloaded (std gauge) or loaded (ng) ones for the return journey.

post-7025-0-23726500-1493898773_thumb.png

Operation will be from the left/front, the ground level rail height will be approx. 52" from the floor (though having seen Sherton Abbas, 60" would seem possible !)

The whole layout, excluding a FY, will be in one unit, which will be about 5ft x 2ft x 2ft high, including lighting and theatre fascia.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

You could install a smoke unit, lights and speaker behind one of the blast doors connected to a big red button on the front of the layout.

When the unsuspecting punter presses it there is a flash, a muffled 'whump' and wisps of smoke around the door...

• Like 1