A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Bolleaux, should have bought a Terrier!

Changed my mind  (temporarily), I think this narrow gauge line now needs a Manning Wardle 2-6-2T in Southern Railway livery.

Only trouble is they don't like going around corners. Which to me for a loco meant for a line without many straight bits, is very poor.

On 12/04/2019 at 22:37, Stubby47 said:

It's an HO Lilliput loco ( of some sort). I also have a 3D bodied Dean Hill loco on a Kato chassis, but it's a bit too fast and uncontrollable for slow speed work.

Would you like to use some of my 009 locos at the members day ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mozzer models said:

Would you like to use some of my 009 locos at the members day ?

I'd be very honoured to.

'Sandy Shores' is also a 009 layout, so your locos could have two foreign visits. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I'd be very honoured to.

'Sandy Shores' is also a 009 layout, so your locos could have two foreign visits. 

well i have 14 finished loco's & a railcar 

the smallest is this cute thing its only 30mm long

36742984743_90f2825cf8_c.jpgRustin LA now painted by brian mosby, on Flickr

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Ok, a potential 4 day weekend to finish DM4MS to a suitable standard.

First task is to add some strengthening bars underneath, as the foamboard has a tendancy to sag.  These are from some 3x1 previously used for layout legs.

Current state of the layout is this:

20190419_084157.jpg.292694e4cf5377703179f7be6e526876.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

End of day 1.

As well as the frame, I've ballasted most of the track. I 'm still undecided as to whether to add a concrete apron in front of the factory,  or just leave it as 'rough' ground.

I also plugged in the rear loop and had a testing session. At the Hayle show the transporter wagons were slightly off line, so I've tweaked the alignment and tested the loading and loading of the std gauge wagon and it's much better.

Next to do is finishing the ballasting, then re-grass the layout.

I want to add oil tanks to the middle level with pipes leading to a small valve shed at the end of the underground pipe trench.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I knew it was going too well.

Of the three points, one leads to the transfer siding, which is really the whole focus of the layout.

And it's now shorting. Not a full, 100% short, but enough to reduce the loco to a very slow crawl.

I've removed all the plating that's been added over the point rodding, the extra support at the end for the wagons and most of the ballast has been scraped away, especially if it goes anywhere near the rails,  but still the problem persists. 

Not very happy at the moment.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al. If I can get one this weekend there's a chance I can get it in and sorted. Otherwise I'll replace the layout at Taunton with 'Tinner's Forge'. 

Which probably means another re-build to Mk3.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The good news is I have removed the point and tested it and it's fine.

20190421_070841.jpg.d16fe836920a769880bb008d3b2d8dea.jpg

I just need to replace it on the layout, reballast and hope it stays working.

It must have been a link between the rails due to the pva, so ballasting will now be minimal.

Happy Easter :)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Have just checked the KMRC website and discovered they are closed today...

And I was just about to buy a B4/Peckett/Terrier/Warship... never mind, eh?

Christmas Day and Easter Sunday are the only two days of the year you can guarantee that most shops will be shut! We used to have a good laugh when those intending to go shopping got into town and found that all the shops were shut and they had also just missed the bus to take them back home.  On a Sunday service the buses regularly changed to a different route on arrival.  This led to much moaning by the unhappy passengers.

• Friendly/supportive 1