A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

The layout is now set up in my place of work, to allow me to spend time during my lunch hour doing a bit of modelling.

Don't forget, if you're in the Crantock area on June 22nd, come and visit the show.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The layout is now set up in my place of work, to allow me to spend time during my lunch hour doing a bit of modelling.

Don't forget, if you're in the Crantock area on June 22nd, come and visit the show.

If only.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've now put the rear loop in place, with correctly positioned live and insulating fishplates and all is working well.

I tried to install a Peco 009 uncoupling ramp, but am not overly happy with it as a retro fit ( after the track) so may resort to a more home-made, bodged-up mechanism instead.

Next up is the pipework for the tanks and over the std gauge entrance. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

First lighting rig added, using a strip of LEDs.

I think it needs a second one, across the middle of the layout.

lights_1_crop.jpg.85aaa145ed65ede18e21eab6f28dc9dd.jpg

Hard to tell from a screen image Stu, but to me that has just the right look for a wintry sky full of snow.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was actually more interested in how the "punters" phone-phots would turn out in terms of the shadows cast.

(Left to right weighting depending upon which end you were nearer.)

Another point of view - literally!

Kev.

(Great stuff Stubby)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, SHMD said:

I was actually more interested in how the "punters" phone-phots would turn out in terms of the shadows cast.

(Left to right weighting depending upon which end you were nearer.)

Another point of view - literally!

Kev.

(Great stuff Stubby)

One of the problems I've had before with presenting layouts is not having the top covered. This lets in the lighting from the venue, which has cast unwanted shadows on the back or side screens.

This first strip of LEDs lights up the front of the layout (but not quite far enough forwards yet, as the Nissan hut door is not lit properly), but leaves a lower level of light nearer the back, so I think a second strip will help.

Power comes from the 12v dc regulated output from the back of the H&M Clipper, so the light level can be adjusted if required. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pipes.

pipes_1.jpg.b200eba95fe37a946536227fa46d6d07.jpg

pipes_3.jpg.3eb216089c38d2824a769edf712e090d.jpg

Needs painting and a valve wheel added to the outlet pipe.

And a ladder over the wall.

And an inlet pipe to the main tank.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Stu, please forgive me, but the bund round the tank needs to be oil or water tight, to contain any potential spillage. It therefore really needs a back wall - I don't think the stone wall behind is sufficient.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Stu, please forgive me, but the bund round the tank needs to be oil or water tight, to contain any potential spillage. It therefore really needs a back wall - I don't think the stone wall behind is sufficient.

Al.

I quite agree Al, it will be added.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

And a Peckett..

I went looking for a Peckett today, in KMRC. Sadly, they only had Terriers, P2s,  07s, Sentinels and other such unwanted stuff.

Ah well.

I've got fleets of 08s, 03s or panniers to use instead.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

That's basically what I'll be doing. The facia has bowed slightly, due to only painting one side, so I might try a T piece to straighten/strengthen it, on which I will also stick the lights.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not too sure about the two glare areas at the back corners. I need to add a full cover which will remove any room lighting. Happy with the slight coldness too, as mentioned it suits a wintery day.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Not too sure about the two glare areas at the back corners. I need to add a full cover which will remove any room lighting. Happy with the slight coldness too, as mentioned it suits a wintery day.

The one on the left could the wintry sun, trying to shine through the clouds.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A Peckett would add to the overall picture in a pre-modernist overture to the post - modern dictatorial homage which nods at the  totalitarian approach on the subject of light and shade. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3