A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Premium

This little beauty has arrived today:

attachicon.gifh1.jpg

attachicon.gifh2.jpg

attachicon.gifh3.gif

from here : https://www.cwrailways.com/

It needs a Kato 104 chassis, and will be put to work underground.

I found this on another topic, a bit expensive though!

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Cast-Mould/Coatings/Item/XTC-3D/ITM7368

I have not tried it yet.

• RMweb Gold

A Kato 104 chassis was purchased today, along with a Peco N-gauge 15ft chassis kit. I'm not sure how long I can stretch this to, to form the chassis of the low-loader, before the wheels are too far apart to traverse the points (although using N-gauge long points would help here).

This weekend should see the baseboard holes cut for the hoist, followed by the completion of the main baseboard. I will need to consider how to attach the two Fiddle areas, plus position the track exits and consider how/where to add the control panel (for the mechanical rather than servo powered items).

Then there's the lighting to consider, plus the rest of the overall presentation framework and information areas.

Further thoughts on the buildings will probably see the removal of the boiler house, as the hoist winch can be electrically powered, rather than steam. This removes the need for coal-in, ash-out freight movements, but, from my experience with Wheal Tiny, viewers are more interested in the hoist than the prototypical train movements.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress.

post-7025-0-40194800-1518284314_thumb.jpg

Both the open's wheels are in a filed dimple in the U channel. I'll need to see if this is enough to hold the wagon in place whilst being moved around the NG track.

There should be enough room to couple the loco directly to the low loader, if not I can use a match truck.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Dilemma time:

Do I:

Buy the track from Track Shack & pay the postage

Buy the track from Kernow and pay higher prices but no postage

Rip up Treamble and re-use the track for free

Hmmmmm...

Support your local retailer.

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad I didn't actually cut the hoist holes at the weekend, as further thinking reveals they would be too close to the right side, with not enough room to get the winding house in.

So I'll move them another couple of inches to the left. this will mean a slight compression of the lower grounds levels, with an empty void to the right of the hoist - not sure what to do about this yet.

I've also made a start on painting the body of the Hunslet.

post-7025-0-37309800-1518439413_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-87941500-1518439413_thumb.jpg

The original colour was going to be bright yellow, but images of the Dean Hill version were some sort of dull green, so I've sort of compromised between the two...

I still need to add the wasp strips front and rear, and possibly add a couple of small LEDs.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Support your local retailer.

That appears to be the general consensus, so a trip to Kernow it shall be.

Over the weekend I also experimented with the raised track to access the NG low loader. One option is to raise the whole standard gauge track area, possibly on 2 x 5mm foamboard, to reduce the incline. This would also give a couple of levels to the baseboard, breaking up the monotony a bit. I also think I can get one underground siding on the top level, so this too will change the terrain.  This siding should also be accessible from the main FY, so allowing a change of wagon / load.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Winding houses - these appear to be completely non-standard, styled as the mine owner saw fit / could afford.  Some of them are very ornate, some are massive.

With only about 5" to play with (approx. 30ft) the length of the building is quite short. But there should be enough room to get the main frame, the shear legs and the building in the corner.

History (fictitious-ish) now comes into ply.  Was the armaments store in use in Victorian times? Or was it established in more modern (WW2) times ?

A Victorian building would be far more ornate, but could have used electric motors rather than steam-powered winches.

This is too big : http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/96/84/1968421_064a8e50.jpg

This might work: http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/63/90/639091_eaaf7423.jpg

This looks favourite: http://chatterleywhitfieldfriends.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Chatterley_Whitfield_Mining_Museum_-_geograph.org_.uk_-_686583.jpg

But then there's this: http://petebridgwood.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/HETTYPIT-MASTER.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Using the South Wales winding house as inspiration, I hacked some card into some vaguely mine buildings shape today. 

post-7025-0-10845900-1518527398_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-69482300-1518527398_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-23338300-1518527399_thumb.jpg

By moving the hoist hole another inch inwards, I can have a 2" gap between the hoist and winding house, plus a couple of inches behind before the sidescreen.

Although the prototype is built on a falling hillside, hence needing substantial foundations, I might reverse this and embed the lower part of the winding house in a low hillside.

post-7025-0-29258900-1518527844.gif

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hope you don't mind me saying this but it's a little "parallel with the front edge" Stu.  Is that the look you're after?

There are plenty of prototype examples and lots of layouts that work well in this style but I've always felt a slight change of angle introduces some added interest.

• RMweb Gold

You're right Rob, it is parallel, and for the lower two levels this deliberate, especially given the limited visibility.

The board shown is the middle one, which is narrower than the other two.

The upper, or ground, level will be more conventionally skewed, for both gauges.

• RMweb Gold

I'm still debating which buildings I'll need on the ground level.

I quite like the little Traverse sheds at Dean Hill, so could add some with abandoned n/g track. I would also need a high earth bank around them, and the back of the layout - quite a convenient edge to the backscene.

This is the latest plan...

post-7025-0-44330300-1519132523.gif

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3