A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Well we're in.....book purchased, entry form emailed in.....

Sheffield Grimeside, a glimpse of Industrial Sheffield in the '50s featuring MSW electrics, Sheffield trams and buses in 4mm, EM for both trams and railway sections.

We being  group of three modellers who really first made contact through RMweb.... since then we've all become pretty friendly despite none of us living 'round the corner' from each other...we'll all be involved to some degree with this project.

A Sheffield layout has been gestating for a while but this competition has given it the impetus to actually get our fingers out.

It will be a learning curve for all of us....I've wanted to do something in EM for a while...this is first time ever away from 16.5mm for me, so girder rail tram track in EM should be fun.....!

One item that it will be built round is one of Dave Shkespeare's Tetley Mills buildings, I've been trying to work this into a project for a while...this time to a degree it's based round this.

So more northern grot from myself, but hopefully a bit different.

Not much to show as yet bar a pile of wood....but stock has been in build for a short while....this is one of the road vehicles on its first test....this has been 'EMed' as it features a scratchbuilt front axle to get away from the too narrow HO look!

There are a number of things in prep too the tram fleet will feature a number of 3d printed bodies for the Sheffield fleet.

• Like 13

I also like the sound of this...

Sheffield is basically my second home town as over the last few years I've spent so much time there and I really love the city and it's good friendly people.

Thanks for all the interest fellas....I hope to have something more tangible to see soon....More bits of wood have been chopped and time permitting will be started to be fixed together. CAD for a 1927 Sheffield standard had been completed by one of the co conspirators so stuff is happening albeit slowly!

Just as an aside, are you bending Sheffield railway history a tad, as the closest MSW electrics got to Grimesthorpe/Brightside was the Wicker Arches or Broughton Lane, or am I just being pedantic? :senile:

Mike.

I'm bending it big time....but Grimeside is more a play on Brightside/Grime Street my current Leeds tram exhibition layout. 

Edited by Red Devil

Whilst I'm still surrounded by bits of wood....I thought I'd just have a very quick, very rough test build of the girder rail idea I had that'll be used for the tramway sections,

It's code75 b/h rail with a 1mm n/s bar soldered next to it, with a flange guard rail made from 1.90mm n/s strip which is nominally 0.05mm lower than the running rail....groove is 1mm wide by 0.905mm deep. Overall it's about the same size as some etched tram rail but with a deeper groove which avoids flange running.

A quick application of ready to use plaster which I've found in the past scribes well for setts etc 

post-7067-0-35292600-1494944587_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I'm still surrounded by bits of wood....I thought I'd just have a very quick, very rough test build of the girder rail idea I had that'll be used for the tramway sections,

It's code75 b/h rail with a 1mm n/s bar soldered next to it, with a flange guard rail made from 1.90mm n/s strip which is nominally 0.05mm lower than the running rail....groove is 1mm wide by 0.905mm deep. Overall it's about the same size as some etched tram rail but with a deeper groove which avoids flange running.

A quick application of ready to use plaster which I've found in the past scribes well for setts etc 

attachicon.gif18518653_10154897732148978_1939122346_n.jpg

Thanks.

One idea nicked!!

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress from me in the last few weeks.....Near 80 hour working weeks don't leave much modelling time!

However one of our team, Andy Burrows has completed the CAD for one of the trams needed and first test print has landed.....

This is the 1927 standard....it'll be done in both original and rebuilt lower saloon form....I think I'll build a green one to upset the purists!

Pic, CAD etc by Andy.....

post-7067-0-04999300-1496436861_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-61737200-1496436875_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-20434700-1496436926_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst some of the trams will be 'new technology' others may be donkeys years old white metal kits, albeit revamped...Chris has been busy with this old Anbrico Roberts car.....the biggest issue with this kit is/was....the joints from the recommended building method always showed....So solder up fill all joints with solder as filler then dress back with a big file removing all cast detail, prime, re instate detail etc.

This is Chris's first white metal kit.......!

post-7067-0-79779700-1497386958_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Not much progress from me in the last few weeks.....Near 80 hour working weeks don't leave much modelling time!

However one of our team, Andy Burrows has completed the CAD for one of the trams needed and first test print has landed.....

This is the 1927 standard....it'll be done in both original and rebuilt lower saloon form....I think I'll build a green one to upset the purists!

Pic, CAD etc by Andy.....

attachicon.gif18767852_809284659220744_7228557548766386296_n.jpg

attachicon.gif18835917_809284712554072_8953002610722442702_n.jpg

attachicon.gif18767462_809284655887411_2655452374407157138_n.jpg

would  love to be able to buy a few of these or a copy of the stl file.

would  love to be able to buy a few of these or a copy of the stl file.

They will be available fairly shortly......There's another 3 currently en route from Eindhoven now....including one with the rebuilt lower deck.

Still not that much to show as long working hours are curtailing playtime.....

However the tram fleet will be expanding reasonably rapidly soon with the arrival of 3 1927 std Prints

post-7067-0-99498400-1501616440_thumb.jpg

The woodwork is well on and hopefully will be completed soon, I'm spending  a fair bit of time on this as I want it right.

There's been some development on the MSW fleet too with various items landing and when I get time bought (well no use working long hours if you can't buy the odd new toy!)

After just reading the Rapido/Locomotion GNR1 thread I'd just like to say how glad I am that I tend to model something where we need to produce what we want for ourselves....that and there won't be that many saying 'you got that wrong'.....well, they might but they'll be told to #### off and do something better themselves then... I honestly wonder at times if I'm in the wrong hobby.....then I just get on and build sommat! 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good job the latest batch of standards have arrived.... Chris has just got the first one painted etc.....I'll get the job of fitting the interior and the working bits!

Fabulous.

Memories of rattling down to Page Hall from town in them, then if it was a short working, reversing all the seats.

Mike.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Some tangible progress...work on the main 'scenic' board is nearing completion...this might give an idea of what's planned (initially....) The MSW lines will be on a viaduct, much like the bit from the Wicker heading up to Neepsend, the trams/buses etc running below with a junction which will go down to a single track section....again a bit like Neepsend lane.

The trams, buses etc will run through to holding loops, hopefully using automatic operation involving Gaugemaster 'station stops' lots of magnets and reed switches, more on that as we progress. The reason for the raised roadways is because I want to fit another Magnorail system in it, which will run under the railway viaduct to return....

The board is lots and lots of bits of ply and pretty lightweight. When it's 100% done I'm passing it over to Chris so he can spray it a nice uniform light grey (he sprays stuff for a living!) This'll seal it all and hopefully give me a 'light' background colour to work with on the underside when the wiring goes in....also I want to keep it clean, neat and tidy....yeah we could just brush paint it but why do that when we can get a better finish?

post-7067-0-58851200-1505410877_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the 1500v fleet has started to be assembled....a Triang EM2 and Heljan/Olivias EM1 have arrived, hopefully to be followed by a couple more EM1s.

Elsewhere Chris has been busy on the Tram fleet, with more Roberts cars and pretty much finishing the body on the first of the 3d print stds

post-7067-0-41802600-1505410897_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-95013500-1505410918_thumb.jpg

On that front did I mention the green livery std? Yes it's bloody horrible!

post-7067-0-38593100-1505411205_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

First of the  'girder rail' tram track has started to be soldered up, this being made like the sample shown earlier, code75 rail, 1mm sq n/s strip and 1.9mm n/s strip.

So here we have a badly shot test video of 'girder rail' point, 18.2mm gauge using 12ft w/b wagon with code 88 wheels set to 16.5mm btb, as yet switch rail not fitted.

I think overall I'm quite happy with this, especially for a first time build with this method and first time in anything other than 16.5mm.

As some may know, one of the feature buildings is ex 'Tetley Mills' this being the late Dave Shakespeare's well known model railway.....as Dave was a copper it's going to be lightly re worked into a cop shop......I never knew Dave but I did exchange a few messages about 'Northern Grot' and Utd.....despite him being a Yorkshireman he did have sense to follow a decent team 1f642.png :)

Anyway....the idea, I'd think it likely a building of this size and use would have a cellar, so as it features a demolished end then perhaps a hole in the baseboard for a ruined cellar?

post-7067-0-93983100-1507126859_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

This is the current state of play with the first 'grooved rail' point is this....pretty much built apart from the single point blade which will be fabricated next. Well, very much as a trial build all is ok and the rest will be done in this method.

post-7067-0-71741300-1508158954_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile Chris has pretty much done this workworn Crossley SD42, 'fallerised' chassis etc, this was from a TiNY resin kit.

Not sure I'd fancy heading over Woodhead on this, I think Id be catching a tram to Victoria to try out that new fangled electric railway!

post-7067-0-72273600-1508159162.jpg

Another couple of lumps of old Anbrico white metal also currently being resurrected too..... 

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

Well soldering track continues....the only problem is that building this ‘girder rail’ involves building the same thing three times over!

I don’t think the track gurus have anything to worry about from my efforts but so far it works well enough and when covered in plaster should look ok...(he says!)

post-7067-0-38125000-1510783822_thumb.jpeg

post-7067-0-01582500-1510783852_thumb.jpeg

post-7067-0-81247100-1510784003_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7