Berrow and East Brent Timetable

u112540

I remember seeing a Railway Modeller a few years  ago that had a short article on the Berrow  and East Brent layout, including the timetable that was used. For some reason i cannot now recall i didn't buy it  when i saw it.

Can anyone remember which issue it might have been so i can look  for it on ebay or elsewhere?

I've been searching on the internet but as i don't know which edition i might be looking for the words needle and haystack spring to mind. i first saw the layout years ago at the Central Hall Westminster and it has stuck with me. Having just acquired the Xpress Publishing District Controller's View of the S & D I'm curious as to whether his timetable bore any relationship to the real one for the Highbridge Branch.

I remember seeing a Railway Modeller a few years  ago that had a short article on the Berrow  and East Brent layout, including the timetable that was used. For some reason i cannot now recall i didn't buy it  when i saw it.

Can anyone remember which issue it might have been so i can look  for it on ebay or elsewhere?

I've been searching on the internet but as i don't know which edition i might be looking for the words needle and haystack spring to mind. i first saw the layout years ago at the Central Hall Westminster and it has stuck with me. Having just acquired the Xpress Publishing District Controller's View of the S & D I'm curious as to whether his timetable bore any relationship to the real one for the Highbridge Branch.

Have you asked the RM Editorial Office, they may be able to trace it for you.

All the best, and yes I do remember something like that some years back.

Thank you both. 2009 sounds about right. looking back, i think on reflection i saw it in somewhere like WH Smith and meant to go to Harburn Hobbies to buy it, as I prefer to support my local model shop but  by the time i went they had run out or the next month's edition was out.  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to your help I now have the relevant copy of RM and can report that the timetable is clearly based on the Highbridge branch as the pattern of services is pretty much the same  and in some cases the times are very close to those of actual trains. Two main differences:: Berrow has  an Express for "The North" which if you allow for the notional time to reach Evercreech Jn would seem to be able to attach to the Pines Express and detach for the return trip. And there is no perishables train as ran on the Highbridge branch. Clearly research put into it all those years ago. 

If you are referring to McPyrkes Berrow, including the branch to East Brent when I had the opportunity to assist him (he was friend) in operating it at Central Hall, he had no timetables.

The layout was operated on the basis of a sequence.

Edited by john flann

• RMweb Gold

If you are referring to McPyrkes Berrow, including the branch to East Brent when I had the opportunity to assist him (he was friend) in operating it at Central Hall, he had no timetables.

The layout was operated on the basis of a sequence.

The 2009 article credits the timetable as having been reprinted from an earlier account of the layout published in 1963.

That implies that, even if timetable working wasn't employed at exhibitions, it was under other circumstances.

I am rather a fan of this layout and have RM articles on file dated 1958 and 1967 but don't have a copy of the 1963 one. Maybe someone who does can enlighten us.

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Readers may like to see: Famous Layouts - A Railway Modeller Special No.2 (1990).

That has two Berrow articles - one seems to be a reprint of the June 1960 version as well as an all-new one specifically for this publication (Berrow Rebuilt). In that, Mac says: "A fresh timetable is being worked out on the lines of John Charman's  quite classic article in the RM of February".

I was in touch with Mac back in the 80s when I was Publications Manager for the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust and he was very kind to send in some lovely photos. I'll have a look through my files to see if I still have his letter - it may hold some clues about his timetable.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just dug out the September 1958 issue and, towards the end of the article, written by Mr Pyrke himself, I quote:

"Operation is by timetable; workings include local passenger trains from Evercreech Junction, Bath and Templecombe, a through train a day from the north of England and mixed goods trains. Variation is introduced by light engine movements and the moving of empty coach stock between Berrow and East Brent."

The timetable published within the July 2009 article is not in the font used in the rest of the piece and appears to be contemporaneous with the layout plan, quoted as dating from 1963, reprinted on the previous page.

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling

Mac sold Berrow to someone in the Midlands, what has happened since I don't know. As I recall his next layout was St Davids (?)

I can well imagine him considering a timetable but on all the occasions I met with him he never mentioned the subject.