why were the Metro-Vik Class 28s concentrated upon Barrow?

18B

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Stevebr said:

Just finished reading this book. An excellent resource like the earlier book by the same author on the class 21/29’s

0CB351A6-29E4-465A-809A-89AF3BFCC45D.jpeg

Advance copy? The release date that amazon have is the 30th of sept...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2020 at 16:15, BrushVeteran said:

I'm intrigued as to why BR kept D5705 on as the motive power for the tribology research train. There were plenty of Clayton's available at that time which Derby Research had at least three already.

One possible reason could be that D5705 had a much modified power unit in it with more of a normal fuel delivery arrangement. This information was given to me during a visit to the ELR when we were measuring up D5705 for the Heljan model, so it would be interesting to see how different D5705's differs. It would certainly explain its longevity. I remember the majority of the batch used to sound like 'Chinook' helicopters in a similar sort of way.

D5705_Derby.jpg

This is just a guess but the unique co-bo configuration of the class would give a bonus for tribology testing which IIRC is all about assessing slipping and adhesion rates etc. With the co-bos they would receive the advantage of being able to test for any different behavioural characteristics between a 2 axle and 3 axle variant bogie at the same time in identical conditions.  To do so without using a co-bo would have needed two locomotives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Would any mods have been required for use like that?

One of the advantages of the Co-Bo arrangement was the high starting tractive effort, which actually might have been more use for the Trib train. The fact that this loco had received the re-designed engine and was effectively 'free' from allocation to revenue traffic was probably why she was acquired.

Andy G

A guy that worked at Vickers was involved in looking at these engines. Remember, they built all the Sulzer units for Classes 24,25,26,27,33, 45,46,47(not 44-they were Swiss) and rebuilt 'Kestrel' They had previous "experience" of the dodgy power unit in maritime, and I think had similar valve problems. They were sorting them, as happened in the WAGR Australian ones, but BR had enough of the unreliable classes, no longer needed on a shrinking network. They were better driven on the Co end, due to power issues on the uneven wheelbaseand there was a particular issue with notching, due to generator issues but they were said to be superior to a 40 climbing Lindale Bank!

On the EE Crewe had acquired 4 EE 8CSVT like in the Portuguese CP1400 like for re-engining, but official EE documents were unkeen due to cooling issues (so they needed new cooler groups also.)- perhaps they just didnt want their engines in such a disaster locomotive. Crewe had stored several locos for such proposed work In the end int was abandoned, and the timescale suggests they went in the Doncaster/Hunslet Northern Irish 101s, a working one of these a great loss to preservation. as all the other EE varieties of rail engine will be represented if the Baby Deltic rolls off the production line...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Barrow 1967

67 433 020967 Barrow D5716 and D3412

I wonder what the white “board” is by radiator on the shunter.  Never seen anything like that before.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I wonder what the white “board” is by radiator on the shunter.  Never seen anything like that before.

If you click on the photo you can read details of what the 08 was hauling on the flickr page!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

if you zoom in on the large image on flickr, the 'board' doesn't seem to be 'in' the photo, orientation and perspective etc. don't match the loco - i wonder if it was something on the photo/slide when scanned?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, keefer said:

if you zoom in on the large image on flickr, the 'board' doesn't seem to be 'in' the photo, orientation and perspective etc. don't match the loco - i wonder if it was something on the photo/slide when scanned?

If you look on here on the Prototype for Everything thread you will see another photo of the same train - it is the tour train headboard, also carried on the Black Five.

Edited by john new
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

thanks john, i hadn't seen the other pic - still looks weird though! given the 08 won't have headboard clips, the board's probably tied on with a bit of string so it's not sitting square

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One other oddity with regard to SLS specials and Co-Bos is related, with photo, in our latest publication - Internal Combustion A Compilation by R A S Hennessey.

A special ran to the R&ER on 26th May 1968 with various intended haulage options had the scheduled change of loco at ".......Carnforth where Type 4 (Class 40) diesel D316 took over. This locomotive failed at Ulverston on the outward journey and was replaced by D5717........" Probably a very rare instance of a Co-Bo doing the rescuing rather than being rescued!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, john new said:

One other oddity with regard to SLS specials and Co-Bos is related, with photo, in our latest publication - Internal Combustion A Compilation by R A S Hennessey.

A special ran to the R&ER on 26th May 1968 with various intended haulage options had the scheduled change of loco at ".......Carnforth where Type 4 (Class 40) diesel D316 took over. This locomotive failed at Ulverston on the outward journey and was replaced by D5717........" Probably a very rare instance of a Co-Bo doing the rescuing rather than being rescued!

The shame of it..... Being rescued by a Co-Bo! Akin to being overtaken by a 2CV, or towed by a Morris Minor!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rodent279 said:

The shame of it..... Being rescued by a Co-Bo! Akin to being overtaken by a 2CV, or towed by a Morris Minor!

How about a 2CV towed by a Morris Minor? I was the rescue driver in my minor, towing a mates 2CV through the centre of Cambridge about 20 years ago.....

Andy G

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Shame? 

I would have loved to have been rescued by D5717 had I been on the train. I never did have a Co-Bo for haulage. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Shame? 

I would have loved to have been rescued by D5717 had I been on the train. I never did have a Co-Bo for haulage. 

They could go rather well where they had the right piece of railway to allow them to go.  I had some quite nice runs behind them when they were at Barrow and no delays due to failures (which was more than could be a said for an EE Type 4 I was travelling behind on my way back to Carnforth from Carlisle one afternoon which decide to sit down at Low Gill Jcn and led to me almost missing my evening meal in the hotel where we were staying at Grange-Over -Sands (where my parents were somewhat worried by my late return from a day out).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

They could go rather well where they had the right piece of railway to allow them to go.  I had some quite nice runs behind them when they were at Barrow and no delays due to failures (which was more than could be a said for an EE Type 4 I was travelling behind on my way back to Carnforth from Carlisle one afternoon which decide to sit down at Low Gill Jcn and led to me almost missing my evening meal in the hotel where we were staying at Grange-Over -Sands (where my parents were somewhat worried by my late return from a day out).

You were very lucky. I missed them by 2 years as my parents had a holiday at Windermere in 1970, and by then they had all gone. :(

On my allowed day trip I ended up at Preston; but it might have been different if the Co-Bos were still operational. 

• Friendly/supportive 2