Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Postcards from Pendon

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for these wonderful photos of the timeless Pendon landscapes and buildings. Just an observation that they were created before 'static grass' and indeed most plastics existed. The pub in the 4th and the shed in the 8th pictures are minor masterpieces. And what happened to Morlands Ales of Abingdon......now brewed in Suffolk!

Thank you

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see a picture of 'Shannon'*** (WTC No 5)  Don't remember seeing that at Pendon before, although thinking about it, it's quite some time since I've been there. Better put it on the "To do" list again.

*** Shannon is the original locomotive from the Sandy & Potton Railway of 1852, absorbed into the Bedford & Cambridge and then the LNWR.

• Like 2

Morland Bitter doe not taste the same since they moved the brewing to Suffolk and as to the Morland Brewery it is now very expensive flats. Abingdon has not been the same since the closure of MG's and the Brewery. From someone who used to live there.

• RMweb Gold

That model of Parson's Tunnel signal box is sensational.I don't suppose there's a shot anywhere of the Pendon washhouse as modelled by Bachmann in their rtp range.

I had the pleasure of attending yesterday's Photographic Workshop run by Pendon and led by Andy. It was a very enjoyable and educational day, well run and paced, good company and the opportunity to have Pendon, my first visit, to ourselves.

The glass panels protecting the layout were dropped for us, a rare privilege, and the scene really 'popped' into life.

I can exclusively share the first learning point of the course.

Take your camera, then spend a week looking for the manual, and then READ it.

When the lights dimmed for the 'night' photography session was the wrong time to wonder where the info screen backlighting button was....

Seriously, if you're working with, say, manual aperture settings it's rather useful to know how to set it.

I arrived to see a chap sat there, Keith, who I'd met at Missenden a couple of years back. Small world. He's the guy featured in one of Andy's photos above.

So, yeah, thanks to Mick, Graham and Mike for the hospitality at Pendon and to Andy for a genuinely interesting course.

Highly recommended if you get the chance.

I'll post some photos though it won't be until next week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mick

I'm afraid that I chose to experiment with my 2nd, less familiar, camera at that point, however, I seem to have two that are almost presentable!

Tony

More than just presentable, Tony. These show the 'night time' scenes very well.

A note for those who weren't able to participate in this workshop - the opportunity to take photographs with the vale scene lights out was offered for the first time and, we think, was very successful. Nobody tripped over anybody else's tripod! :boast:

• RMweb Gold

As we were all in the dark I was spared the sight of Mr York mooning, however I think a flash went off to my left. Worked out well!

The other one is spoiled a bit by the fact that you can see the bulb, which limits the flexibility of "exposure" adjustments.

• RMweb Gold

just a couple more to finish from me. These are me learning what my smart phone can do. As we learned on the course, these are amazing for depth of field and ease of use, but their very small sensors lets them down over larger areas. The close ups are pretty effective but the wider landscape shots have an oil painted effect about them where the lack of pixel data shows up.

As this is the last few shots from me I just want to reiterate my thanks to Mick and the team at Pendon, and to Andy for his knowledgable but accessible style and to say to all of you - if this chance comes up again - TAKE IT!  Andy is a brilliant tutor and the close up, private access to Pendon is a wonderful opportunity.

post-12721-0-01160600-1494780780_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-04209500-1494780864_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-09893400-1494780962_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-41277000-1494780974_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-60911700-1494781053_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-69460300-1494781133_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

As this is the last few shots from me I just want to reiterate my thanks to Mick and the team at Pendon, and to Andy for his knowledgable but accessible style and to say to all of you - if this chance comes up again - TAKE IT!  Andy is a brilliant tutor and the close up, private access to Pendon is a wonderful opportunity.

You certainly made the most of your opportunity, Colin. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to show us your results, which must be an indication to others of just what can be achieved with the right tuition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have been meaning to process some more of my Pendon shots, and so here triggered by meeting up again with Mick at Railex a week or so ago, are a couple more:

post-14629-0-25512800-1496754523_thumb.jpg

post-14629-0-75501200-1496754535_thumb.jpg

I confess to having "interfered" with the sky as I was not happy with the Pendon ceiling!

Tony

• Like 15