When was 86401 repainted in NSE

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I have been offered a Dapol 86401 in NSE paint scheme and was wondering when this loco was repainted in these colours?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

For some reason, 86.401 seemed to be one of the more regularly seen 86s at Carlisle - well away from NSE territory. This picture was taken on October 4th 1989.

attachicon.gifBR278 (4).JPG

I think the various classes were originally painted in proportion to the financial contribution required from each sector to maintain/operate the class.  Because of the Northampton peak services, NSE effectively had to pay for approx 1 x Class 86 so got 1 in their colours, even though the passenger ones were sort-of common-user, and could thus appear anywhere.

I think it was repainted from NSE into RES around 1992, later it went into EWS and according to the AC Loco Group website it was repainted back into NSE colours in 2005.

As a footnote for how widely this loco served, the pool of locos for Cobbler trains was also used for parcels trains for a while before they formally became parcels locos and there were booked passenger turns for parcels locos

Similar date to the Bomag's Railway Herald picture above

86401 Euston 17 Jan 1987

post-1161-0-97277200-1494187898.jpg

• Like 1