Cowes, Isle Of Wight

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

BR crimson - one of the most difficult colours to get right! And I bet we all see it differently and those of us who can remember it probably have our memories warped by colour photography which can be all over the place when it comes to red. I find the colour of the primer is vital to getting a shade of red I like, and so far pretty much every one of my crimson coaches has come out a different shade. 

All different shades is probably prototypical! 

I've just had a look in Peter Paye's Isle of Wight Railways Remembered and plate 263 shows two LBSCR 8 ton vans on the Island (one of them upgraded to 10 ton and used for fish traffic). The caption says  the two vans lasted into BR days, one as plumbers' tool van No.393S, and the other as departmental 388S. Both were withdrawn in 1955. In the SR era picture they don't have the horizontal band.   There's also a well-known picture of 10 ton van 46939 in 1950 (it lived in the siding at Godshill for many years). It describes the hoop as a "strengthening bar". It doesn't look like it was ever re-painted out of SR brown, though it had pretty much faded to unpainted wood!

Chris

Thanks - the Southern Wagons book (and Pete's post below) confirms there's two different versions - wooden framed ones and metal framed, the latter having the band. This kit is for the wooden framed ones...

BR crimson faded very quickly with the wonderful Island sunshine so anybody choosing this colour may be better served dulling the carmine red down, or weather it to look a little jaded.

It wasn't popular with BR which is why they reverted back to green.

I have one coach painted red but as I am modelling 1950/51 I can probably get away with it looking 'fresh'.

Pete

That's why I prefere the precision "faded" colour - to me that looks right, going on the photos and the colour of the ones painted crimson at the IWSR. As Chris says, everyone sees colour differntly anyway!

None of the Island LBSC vans were Stroudleys, they were all later builds.

However the visual differences are minimal.

Diagram 1433 is the relevant one, most IOW examples being uprated to 10 Tons.

Diagram 1436 is virtually identical, these also ran on the Island,

The ones with the end bar are to Diagram 1434, these have steel underframes.

Most were withdrawn or transferred to departmental use between WW2  and 1955.

Some traffic vehicles did last to the end of steam but these were very rarely used.

Pete

Thanks - Perhaps I'll make this a departmental one then, or paint it in SR colours for when I'm running the layout in 1930's guise...

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After much deliberation over the last few months, and having realised that I've not done anything on it for a long time, I have decided to dismantle 'Cowes', and re-start with an easier project - given the large number of buildings that would have needed to be built, I simply don't feel that I have the time or skill to do it justice.

The boards will be dismantled and either sold (would a half-built layout with track, boards and wiring have any value?) or stored (if I can find space)

I'll start a new thread for the new project once it gets started - the plan is for a freelance ex-LBSCR through station, inspired by the Horsham-Guildford line. Hopefully being freelance means I won't feel the need to get it "exactly right" and can use more kits etc to get started - I've already got most of the stock it would need.

I'll still be building IoW stock though, even if most of it sits in a display cabinet or gets run under "rule 1"...

What track is it Nick 00 EM or P4? It is a shame that you have had to abort Cowes. I have researched it for 20 years on and off and haven’t laid as much as a sleeper down. 

Good luck with your new venture.

pete

Edited by vectispete

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2019 at 13:22, Nick C said:

After much deliberation over the last few months, and having realised that I've not done anything on it for a long time, I have decided to dismantle 'Cowes', and re-start with an easier project - given the large number of buildings that would have needed to be built, I simply don't feel that I have the time or skill to do it justice.

The boards will be dismantled and either sold (would a half-built layout with track, boards and wiring have any value?) or stored (if I can find space)

I'll start a new thread for the new project once it gets started - the plan is for a freelance ex-LBSCR through station, inspired by the Horsham-Guildford line. Hopefully being freelance means I won't feel the need to get it "exactly right" and can use more kits etc to get started - I've already got most of the stock it would need.

I'll still be building IoW stock though, even if most of it sits in a display cabinet or gets run under "rule 1"...

It looks to be very good so far. Definitely of value to someone if they like the IoW as a prototype.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, vectispete said:

What track is it Nick 00 EM or P4? It is a shame that you have had to abort Cowes. I have researched it for 20 years on and off and haven’t laid as much as a sleeper down. 

pete

At a guess, the first post answers that question:

So far, I've built the main station baseboards, and am now starting on the trackwork - using SMP OO flexitrack and copperclad points. - photos to follow soon!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, vectispete said:

pete

Hi Pete,

It is 00.

Aborting it wasn't a decision I have taken lightly, it's something I've been deliberating for several months now.

I have made a start on the buildings and is an area I really enjoy doing. Coaching stock is one rake away from all that is needed. I might build another 2 O2s. I have 2 E1s and even the E4 that was such a failure. Having recently moved house I now have the garage space I need. Just need the cash to install electricity into it and insulate it. That’s my frustrating part, every additional item built hasn’t go onto the (non-existent) layout. Still, it will come. You can see some of my coaches on Chris Gardner’s post showing his excellent Cowes, Newport et al project.

Do do you have any research material that may be of use that you are willing to share?

Regularity - sorry, I didn’t go back to the start of the thread, I just read the post.

Pete

I have made a start on the buildings and is an area I really enjoy doing. Coaching stock is one rake away from all that is needed. I might build another 2 O2s. I have 2 E1s and even the E4 that was such a failure. Having recently moved house I now have the garage space I need. Just need the cash to install electricity into it and insulate it. That’s my frustrating part, every additional item built hasn’t go onto the (non-existent) layout. Still, it will come. You can see some of my coaches on Chris Gardner’s post showing his excellent Cowes, Newport et al project.

Do do you have any research material that may be of use that you are willing to share?

Regularity - sorry, I didn’t go back to the start of the thread, I just read the post.

Pete

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, vectispete said:

Pete

I know how you feel, I lived in a flat with no room for any kind of layout for years! The shed I've got now is a great size, but not well insulated, so it gets very cold in the winter. Plus now I've got the space, but I don't have the time!

Your coaches are incredibly good though, so I'm sure the layout will be too.

Most of the research material I've got came from Chris, so I'm not sure if I should pass it on without asking him first.

Fully understand. I have spoken to him before via PM but I have never asked for any info.  Pete (IWCR) has been most helpful with all sorts of things (buildings, coaches, general questions). A true font of all IOW knowledge. 

Thank you you for the kind comments about the coaches - can’t wait to actually run them behind a loco!

best wishes on your future layout. I will look out on these pages for its progress.

Pete

• 4 months later...

Grocers  shop was  "John Jefferys & Sons"

Drawing for this now done,  (All properties south side of  Terminus  Road done.)

Drawing underway for the Granville Road terrace which is prominent behind the signal box.

Cowes (N) now has all trackwork complete on the station board, wired and tested. Next stage point control and track painting

Platform and some buildings underway (Royal  Oak,  Grocers,  Ganges,  Fountain  Garage)

Next baseboard (st marys road & bridge) built.

Pete

Yes  can  do.

Just a check:  The  Fountain Garage I have drawn up is the large one to the north of the station building on the opposite side of  Terminus Road  (burnt down in the 1980's.)

I have not yet drawn the Fountain Coach garage which was to the south of the station building in Carvel Lane.  I have drawn the house with archway which originally fronted this (built when it was the mews for the Fountain Hotel)  Probably no use for your timescale as it was bombed in WW2 and the only remaining piece was a stub of wall  next to the station.

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes please. I have a photo from inside the garage showing a petrol pump on the day that a lorry came careering down Terminus Road hitting a Jag filling up! 

The Grocers shop also would be fantastic thank you. You did PM me before with a drawing of the Royal Oak.(which I still haven't commenced yet).

Kind regards

Pete

Ok

Will need to  print and scan drawings, probably Saturday.

The Fountain garage is drawn from original plans and the sole remaining wall, the adjoining semi detached house is included drawn from photos and site visit.  Just done the 8 house terrace in Granville road (behind the signal box), do you want this?

A copy of the photo showing the pump location would be useful, in the only photo I have the building is well on fire and the roof partly collapsed, foreground details obscured by the crowd of onlookers..

Pete

Hi Pete

Excellent thank you.

I have the terraced housing behind the signal box covered.

i will photocopy the page of the relevant photo and get it emailed across to you. It is unusual in that it is taken from inside the building towards the church/Wheatsheaf.

Pete

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I am not a railway modeller but I live in Cowes and I am fascinated by the amount of research you all put in to make accurate, historical models. I'm in my early fifties and too young to have seen most of the Isalnds railways although, every couple of days, I do cycle along the route of the old Cowes to Newport track which is now a cycle path.

I would love to see any photos any of you have of your Cowes layouts, even in an unfinished state.

I came acros this site as i was doing a search to see what i could find about a model railway in the front garden of a house just around the corner from me on Park Road. The sign says 'Swiss Model Railway' and it is an outdoor installation of a bigger guage, maybe of around four inches?

If anybody know anything about that, then I'd love to hear too but mainly I'm really keen to see any photos of your Cowes layouts.

Thanks

Colin

Edited by ColinToogood
I didn't click notify for replies but I would like notification
  • Like 2