Trevanna Dries - A slice of the Cornish clay industry in EM Gauge

Wayne 37901

I was unsure about starting a thread for a layout which I didn't build but as I intend to improve a couple of things I feel that I can show what I intend to do as well as posting things relevant to the layout that wont fit in anywhere else, also there's very little on here about it.

Trevanna Dries was originally built in 2009 by Dave Tailby, later it was sold on re-wired for DCC and the scenery refurbished. 

In September 2016 the layout came under my ownership after seeing it's potential as an entrance to EM Gauge, so far I have exhibited it twice at two small local shows.

Here's a quick couple of photos.

post-6773-0-84295600-1494282192.jpg

post-6773-0-75416600-1494282301.jpg

The builder of Trevanna Dries, Dave Tailby has a thread for his latest project on here called Victoria which is based on a small parcels depot - it can be found here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109877-victoria/

Dave, if you see this then I hope you approve of this thread?

More soon.

• Like 8

hi and welcome, its good to see someone taking on a layout and continuing to keep it running and developing it. As long as you continue to give the original builder the due aknowlegement for the original layout construction then there is no reason why you shouldn't put up photos of any upgrades, changes etc. Afterall this whole site is by modellers for modellers and about learning, drueling and enjoying our hobby.

Never a fan of any road vehicles including abandoned Land Rovers but I agree if you are taking the time to breath life into old layouts its all good.

Capturing the Kernow rurality well  - looking forward to more.

Ian

Thanks for the kind words gents,

Yes I agree about the Landrover as it does kind of get in the way of photos so I'm thinking doing away with it, I also need to do something about the gap between the scenery and the track bed as it's starting to come away.

Will be back with more soon.

Cheers

It would be good to see more of this layout again.

I rather like 90s era China Clay railways.

IF you really must have a land rover, Kernow MRC do a series I in ECC livery which would be rather suitable for the setting. 

Very nice little layout, looking forward to seeing more of it. Most clay production is now concentrated on a few big sites and the clay trains are longer and less frequent, so it's nice when someone recreates a small operation in model form.  I wouldn't worry about the fact you didn't build the original, after all you've credited the builder and he did decide to sell it.  I did the same sort of thing with a small layout in EM gauge, which I have turned into a Scottish scene to allow me to run my class 17s, 26s & 27s, etc.  On the subject of the Land Rover, from what I read in the news I think it would have been "restored" by now.

Edited by D820

• 5 weeks later...

d660,

No further pictures as of yet but stay tuned.

Gordon A,

I've technically decided that the cut off point is around early 1998 so no Land Rover enthusiasts sorry. When I have a look at the scenery as it needs some repair work the Land Rover will taken away as it does rather get in the way of photos.

Cheers

Looking good Wayne. Look forward to seeing it out on the circuit again. Don't forget, no locos under the canopy!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Thanks Dave,

The only credit I can claim though is the stock. I've done two shows with it already and have a potential third lined up. 

Haha! This doesn't apply to class 08s of course! 

Cheers

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Following an excellent visit to DEMU Showcase and getting a close up look of Kernow Models new 'Clay Tiger' I decided it was time I got my Skits wagon up and running so a start was made this evening.

So far I've just been cleaning up parts as there is a bit of flash on some components but overall a good kit.

I'll post a pic or two up during the week.

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well 'Trev' is all loaded up to appear at a small show in South Wales at Porthcawl.

Not had enough build time for the new items of stock so the snagging list will be attended to in the coming weeks.

Cheers

Wayne

Just a few pics from the show last weekend.

A clay hood was added to the snagging list as it lost it's tie bars when I dropped it.

Only two other D&E layouts were present, one representing the current scene which I didn't get the name of and an N gauge one called Micheltown. Sorry for the quality of some, theye were quickly grabbed while my Neighbour watched the layout for me.

post-6773-0-22562700-1503822631.jpg

post-6773-0-43612200-1503822689.jpg

post-6773-0-47211700-1503822715.jpg

post-6773-0-30937100-1503822739.jpg

post-6773-0-06050600-1503822770.jpg

post-6773-0-80457200-1503822792.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 1

All looking good Wayne. Haven't forgotten you need some information from me-just havent got round to it yet! Sorry!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Hi Dave,

I know there was something, but can't remember what it was to be honest. Haha!

Wayne

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Having not had time before it's first show with the Layout in January last year and with no bookings so far this year 37670 finally re-visits the workbench for some remedial work along with some extra detail and a little weathering to be added.

Here it is before making a start.

Cheers

post-6773-0-92793000-1523225754.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901

Hi

Yes know the problem.....

Once had one of our two launch itself on to the layout from a shelf above......

The result looked like a visit from a tornado/hurricane/earthquake.....

Cheers Bill

Had a similar experience but without the woes. Our cat managed to jump down from above and land on the layout without disturbing a thing.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Been a bit quiet with this one but that was down to having a leak to sort out at home and the aftermath that came with it, however...

With a potential show in the offing (any news Paul Rolley? I've heard nothing so far!) thoughts are turning to bolstering the class 37 fleet for Trevanna. So far I only have 37670 which is fine for such a small layout but it can get a bit tedious seeing and driving the same loco, there is 50014 but that isn't quite accurate for working in Cornwall as it needs a Laira black roof!

So in order to rectify this (and the fact that I wanted a 'namer' for the layout) I'm going for 37672 Freight Transport Association. The base model will be one of the Kernow limited edition runs of the same loco but in RFD livery. Mine is being backdated to Railfreight grey and in the process will have the grilles changed as they're incorrect for this loco, even though Bachmann had the correct style when they did 672 in Transrail livery.

The photo below shows the model as it stands.

post-6773-0-01053500-1524593382.jpg

More soon.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 1