Trevanna Dries - A slice of the Cornish clay industry in EM Gauge

Wayne 37901

Good Morning,

One item of stock I've wanted to complete for some time was a CAR brake van for a propelling move from St Blazey yard to Trevanna works, this is based on the trip to Pontsmill.

This one key stock item has taken quite some time mainly due to the fact that there's very few photographs of workings to/from Pontsmill so it has been difficult to identify the brake vans. I finally settled on a photo of a weathered railfreight example being used at Riverside yard, it's not Cornwall of course but it'll do!  ;)

A few small jobs need to be done but it's pretty much there.

post-6773-0-61647700-1527320757.jpg

post-6773-0-96063400-1527320783.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember seeing a pic of a SR Queen Mary brakevan on a Pontsmill train Wayne. I'll see what I can find for next weekend! Any expos booked?

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Would be interested to see that as well,

In the majority of photos I have seen it was running with a CAR, which is he option I’ve gone for (along with making a start on a set of PRAs.)

Hopefully these links will work, I have more photos I have collected over the years somewhere...

https://goo.gl/images/kahbcv

https://goo.gl/images/89PYbo

I seem to remember seeing a pic of a SR Queen Mary brakevan on a Pontsmill train Wayne. I'll see what I can find for next weekend! Any expos booked?

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Hi Dave,

Now that's interesting as I've always fancied a Queen Mary but could never justify one!

may have a local show in July but I've not heard anything back yet, although I'm told they're a bit slow. Another development with Trevanna has seen the idea of a removable extension possibly being built, I've seen this done on one of Chris Nevards's layouts but I'm not sure yet as I also have other ideas for small layouts but limited storage space at home.

There is other new stock being built for Trevanna including a couple of S Kits 'Clay Tiger' bogie hoppers, spoil wagons (traffic to/from St Dennis Junction tip!) another couple of vans for bagged clay traffic and I'll also soon start upgrading some Hornby CDA hoppers for the 1988 - 1992 period.

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901

Yes I'm having a little think about the CDAs before I have a go. I need to start soon though as the first loco for the Transrail period will be 37412 which has sat in it's box in primer for too long! I was very fortunate to get hold of some detailed photos of a CDA yesterday and as I have a rake of six wagons I'll use one as an experimental protoype before I tackle the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to show the completed CAR brake van. The last few items on the snagging list included reinstating the bodyside air pipes and some details that needed painting. The only thing left now is to fit a sprat and winkle coupling at the 'inner' end of the wagon.

I've recently decided to build a second rake of OOV clay hoods to enable a through service to run to another clay works along the branch in addition to wagons being loaded at Trevanna.

Cheers

Wayne

post-6773-0-28741600-1528538885.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trevanna Dries is due to attend the Penarth exhibition on the 14/15th of July, more details of layouts, traders etc can be found in the post below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50597-welsh-exhibitions/?p=3203170

The exhibition will mark the 40th anniversary of the Barry and Penarth MRC.

Cheers

Wayne

• 5 weeks later...

Well Trevanna is now away after attending the Barry and Penarth clubs 40th anniversary exhibition. The layout ran well and the only stock that decided it wasn't going to play ball was the 121 bubble car and a single clay hood that was red carded due to a dragging wheel set.

The issue with the Lima 121 is really bugging me. After placing it on the track my Power Cab came up with ''can not read CV'' and despite checking the wiring for any shorts/faults etc and changing the decoder twice it still had the same problem. I think the answer might be a complete stripping of the wiring clean everything up and then re-wire yet another new decoder back in.

Apart from those issues it was a great weekend. Nice to catch up with some familiar faces and of course meet some new ones, I was also approached with two invites to shows but we'll have to see about those.

Anyway here's a couple of photos that were quickly grabbed during a quieter period.

Thanks to my assistant driver Andrew who helped over the weekend, not sure I could have done two days by myself.

post-6773-0-70903200-1531859691.jpg

post-6773-0-57394700-1531859703.jpg

Cheers

Wayne

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

This layout looks really good. May I ask what are the dimensions of it?

Thank you for the kind words. However I can only take credit for the stock that runs on it, the layout having been built by a chap called Dave Tailby who lives on here somewhere.

I really should draw up a proper track plan but it's not hard to work out the plan from the pictures.

The dimensions are about 5' x 14'' tapering down to 7''.

Hope that helps.

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Nice looking project this - happy to have stumbled upon it... :good:

Thanks for the kind words Pete, although I have to say I can only take credit for the stock.

The original layout was built by Dave Tailby who is on here. It was later sold on and the scenery redone before it came to me in September 2016.

I'm thinking about a small extension to put my own stamp on it and to model a bit more of the clay works.

Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stoker said:

You mention propelling from St Blazey, there was a similarly named kiln not far from Pontsmill called "Trevanney Dry". Would this be where "Trevanna" gets it's name?

Not quite,

I'm told by original builder that it comes from the Trevffry tramway that ran near the site of Pontsmill and Trevanna is a play on that.

Yes the propelling move from At Blazey is based on the one that to Pontsmill, the reason for this is that it would be awkward for trains to run round easily in the works and the nearest loop is further up the line.

Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Not quite,

I'm told by original builder that it comes from the Trevffry tramway that ran near the site of Pontsmill and Trevanna is a play on that.

Yes the propelling move from At Blazey is based on the one that to Pontsmill, the reason for this is that it would be awkward for trains to run round easily in the works and the nearest loop is further up the line.

Hope that helps.

Hmm, maybe it was just coincidence then. The real life Trevanney dry (also called Central Cornwall dry) was about half way between Treffry viaduct and Pontsmill, and was accessed from the siding that diverged from Pontsmill ground frame to the china stone works. It was worked by a simplex locomotive.

One small suggestion I'd have for your layout would be to put one or two orange LED's under the covered loading area to represent the low pressure sodium lighting that was used at these plants.

• Like 2

Hi Stoker,

Yes looking at the lighting does feature in my plans for adding a couple of changes, at present the loading area is equipped with working lights but they're white LEDs.

I'm also looking at extending the works a bit and I'll start planning this soon.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

HI Wayne i have been comeing back to look at  your layout  loads of times i really like the  compact style of it . just like to ask . dus it use a sector plate or a traverser  in the fiddle yard ?  thanks  kevin 

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for coming back, I apologise for not having posted anything new for a while.

There will be an update soon but I've just been busy with the new job and working on an O gauge project for a friend, so please bear with me.

To answer your question, at the country end yes the layout uses a sector plate. The downside is it's only one road so I have to set up each movement before it can run, however this does mean a gap between trains as the layout is on a single track brach after all.

At the clay works end there's a fixed couple of fiddle yard roads, but there's limited capacity so some stock handling is required which I'm not too keen on to be honest but hey ho!

I hope that helps answer your question? If you want to know anything else, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

No problem wayne   thanks for reply  . i kind of thought i could be a sector plate . i realy like watch ing the clip on u tube the whole layout is a real gem . the track plan is nice and simple and only one point as i can see ? . i only build small  layouts my self  so thats what drew me to yours ,i am in the middel of building another micro layout but problems with the traverser have caused me to scrap two atemps   all ready . so mrk 3  might do a sector plate less hassel . all the best  kevin .  ps look forward  to any  up dates  on trevanna dries

Hi Kevin,

No need to thank me I'm happy to help anyone if I can.

Yes I know the clip you mean, that was filmed when the layout was under the management of the previous owner before it came to me.

Yes the layout only has one point, anymore would look wrong on a small layout like this.

I know what you mean about traversers, I was in a group where we built one for our layout but we scrapped it after several issues. In the end we went for cassettes.

I hope you'll stay tuned and I promise I'll post something when I get a moment and there's something worth showing.

Cheers,

Edited by Wayne 37901

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon!

I apologise for the lack of updates on this one, I've been quite busy working on some O gauge wagons for a friend of mine.

Today however saw the arrival of some much needed wagons for the Trevanna clay fleet. I decided to treat myself to some Kernow PRA wagons, these will be tripped to/from Trevanna works by the resident 08 shunter along with VGA vans. This is based on the very same trip workings that ran to Pontsmill.

On first impression the model seems to capture the prototype well and it certainly looks like a PRA, the only slight downside is that the plastic handrails are quite flimsy.

Here's a quick out of the box picture.

IMG_20190914_122230.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quick update on this.

I'll be taking Trevanna to the EM gauge society workshop and AGM on Saturday 30th November.

It's coming to Wales for the first time and it will be held in Nantgarw.

The show will be at the Coleg y Cymoedd, Nantgarw Campus

Heol y Coleg

Parc Nantgarw

Cardiff

CF15 7QY 

Doors will open at 10:00am and members of the public are welcome to the show and admission is £4.00 to non members.

Cheers

• Like 1