Trevanna Dries - A slice of the Cornish clay industry in EM Gauge

Wayne 37901

The latest loco to join the fleet....

These days it's rare that I buy a new model because the cost just seems to be climbing, even though a manufacturer might not have made any improvements to a model in about ten years.

But with my birthday around the round the corner, this one seemed justified... Well to me anyway.

So yesterday I went to one of the local model shops and walked out with BR blue 37284 by Bachmann. In due course it'll be re-gauged to EM, re-numbered and weathered, it'll also see use on a future project featuring blue locos as I've decided to start a small early 1980s fleet.

IMG_20191126_103759.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I took Trevanna Dries to a small exhibition at Porthcawl in South Wales yesterday, here's a couple of photos taken during quiet periods of driving.

A few people chatted and asked questions, although as I didn't build the layout I answered as best as I could.

It was nice to meet Mervyn of this parish as well.

Cheers

Wayne

IMG_20191215_123517.jpg

IMG_20191215_124604.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Apologies for the lack of updates, just been busy with the job on the big railway and the usual chaos in the run up to the festive season.

Back on the 30th November I took Trevanna to the EM Society AGM and modelling workshop held in Nantgarw. It was a lovely venue in the modern college and would happily exhibit there again, it was great to chat with other EM modellers and I also picked up a couple of invites, although nothing set in stone yet.

I'll be starting work on a small extension to the clay works soon to increase the viewing area, as well as adding some new locos to the fleet.

I only managed one photo of the layout at the show.

IMG_20191130_135150.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Part of my slight alterations on the layout will be to install a conveyer loader for bogie hopper wagons, like the one at Pontsmill.

As I'd recently converted this Bachmann Polybulk to EM I thought I'd try it out.

More soon.

Cheers,

Wayne

IMG_20200406_144112.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 9 months later...

I decided to bring Trevanna out of hibernation today so I could have a play. The last time it was ran was back in November 2019 when I took it to the EM Society modelling workshop, it had a couple of shows booked for 2020 but of course Covid put a spanner in the works.

Pleasingly everything ran okay apart from a bit of jerky running due to dirty loco wheels, I also looked at the layout itself and came up with a couple of jobs to smarten the presentation up. 

The plan is to get it ready for shows again... Whenever that will be! :scratchhead:

Anyway enough blathering on, here's a few pics grabbed during testing. Nothing special, just point and shoot camera phone shots.

Cheers :good:

IMG_20210130_142335.jpg.bfc3f338eb9872721009ba095b714f80.jpg

IMG_20210130_135439.jpg

IMG_20210130_141305.jpg

IMG_20210130_134623.jpg

• Like 11

• 9 months later...

In October I decided that I would give Trevanna a refurbishment, mainly because some of the scenery was looking a bit tired and things were starting to fall off. I also wanted to make a slight change to the clay works to hopefully enlarge it a little to allow a bit more to be seen, this would also mean I could put my own 'stamp' on it.

As part of this I've been putting together some detailing bits and pieces, the first of which was this rubbish skip and some barriers made from scrap bullhead rail.

IMG_20211109_010848.jpg

IMG_20211110_141232.jpg

original_01f26e0f-52f8-46f6-96f2-2e49c1fa1dfd_IMG_20211111_164837.jpg

• Like 6

A quick photo of the finished skip now that it's painted up, just a small bit of weathering but that'll be done when it's planted. You can just make out that it actually has some bin bags in it, as it'll be near the front of the layout it made sense to have some visible as an empty skip wouldn't look 'right' to me.

IMG_20211127_114517.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice  work Wayne have really liked this layout so good to see that your blowing the dust of it and and doing a few tweeks here and there  . it was this layout that, inspired me to do my own china clay  micro  layout  keep up the good work  the skip looks great  :good:

17 hours ago, kevo said:

Nice  work Wayne have really liked this layout so good to see that your blowing the dust of it and and doing a few tweeks here and there  . it was this layout that, inspired me to do my own china clay  micro  layout  keep up the good work  the skip looks great  :good:

Thanks kev.

The original builder suggested I should start from scratch but I wanted to try and keep the character of this layout.

I'm hoping to get more done on my rest days from work, but at the moment the car has decided to break on me.

Cheers.

yes its allways  a juggle between modelling  and work . and yes that happened  to me just as i was about to sort  out some bits for  my latest project  my car needed work for the mot :( such is life . i to have brought the odd conpleted layout from some one ellse  because i liked what they had done and jus added the odd bit here and there . look for ward to see ing  more on this as you go wayne  happy modelling . kevin 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Crikey! It's been a while since I posted in here, sincere apologies to anyone out there who might be remotely interested in the layout.

Today was a breakthrough day! Before that though I took Trevanna to the Cardiff show on the 21st of August, I should have been there Saturday as well but there was a cock up in work with my leave. 

It felt great to get back into exhibiting after three years due to Covid and it was brilliant to catch up with friends again, sadly I didn't get any invites for other shows but hopefully that allows time to finish other layouts.

Anyway, back to today.

A start was made in upgrading the scenery on the layout as the old stuff was starting to look a bit tired. I've done very little with static grass before apart from a little play at home with a cheap electric tea strainer applicator and as such I must give a big thanks to modelling pal Rob @NHY 581 for his assistance with this, I've always liked the way Rob approaches the scenery on his layouts, and although we both model very different eras the skills and techniques apply all the same.

I'll post a picture in the next day or two as I have some fettling to do first.

Thanks again Rob! 👍

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

First of all, apologies for quiet lack of happenings on this thread since the last post (although, sometimes a break isn't unusual here).

Following my tutorial on scenery with @NHY 581 on 15th September I was hoping to get the rest of Trevanna's upgrade finished. However some extra shifts at work got in the way, then as October started my Father became unwell and was later admitted to Hospital. After a six-week brave battle, we sadly lost him on the afternoon of the 27th of November.

Naturally things have been a huge combination of emotions recently as we finalise arrangements.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that and I'm hoping to return soon as many projects as usual remain unfinished. So, if anyone is hopefully still following this thread, I thank you for your patience and if anyone knows me personally, then I hope you'll understand why I haven't been in touch for a while.

Cheers,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning Wayne. 

I'm so sorry to hear of Dad's passing. My condolences to you and your family. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1