Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

Thanks Grahame

I agree about those plastic colours you mention. I shall at some stage lightly waft some black etch primer with an airbrush to tone it all down.

However,  the decision is do I  pre- order their 14XX LOCO ??????????

jOHN

I think that should tone it down quite nicely.

Do you have the / an auto coach ? If so I think the answer is probably yes !

I have their early crest one and other than the large " carbuncle" in the cab for speaker fitting ( which I may remove ) its a cracker.

Grahame

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a 9659 Pannier this week. Sadly, despite two good running in sessions on the rolling road on Dc power im not happy with the performance of the loco.

Very poor slow speed running. Take so much power it jerks into life and then if power is backed off too much, it eventunally stalls at what seems too high a speed, compared to the Dapol Jinty I had.

Looks like this one will be returned sunday.

Any one else had similar?

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a 9659 Pannier this week. Sadly, despite two good running in sessions on the rolling road on Dc power im not happy with the performance of the loco.

Very poor slow speed running. Take so much power it jerks into life and then if power is backed off too much, it eventunally stalls at what seems too high a speed, compared to the Dapol Jinty I had.

Looks like this one will be returned sunday.

Any one else had similar?

Mine is perfect.  But was checked thoroughly before dispatch to me from R.O.S.  Was yours ???

Mine is perfect.  But was checked thoroughly before dispatch to me from R.O.S.  Was yours ???

No  I Picked it up Thursday.

I contacted the retailer today as I will see him Sunday at Bristol o show.

If it needs to go back it can then.

I shall try it on a couple of yards of track tonight.

Its currently back on the rolling road, but being driven off the rear wheels only with the front supported.

Seems to be getting a bit better, but still not to my standards. I can only hope its slowly freeing its self up / Bedding in?

While I know adding the Dcc chip will probably improve things, I want them perfect before I start taking it apart!

• RMweb Gold

No  I Picked it up Thursday.

I contacted the retailer today as I will see him Sunday at Bristol o show.

If it needs to go back it can then.

I shall try it on a couple of yards of track tonight.

Its currently back on the rolling road, but being driven off the rear wheels only with the front supported.

Seems to be getting a bit better, but still not to my standards. I can only hope its slowly freeing its self up / Bedding in?

While I know adding the Dcc chip will probably improve things, I want them perfect before I start taking it apart!

If it were mine i would take it back and change for another.It should run perfectly from the start without any need for lengthy running in.....

Straight out of the box.....

john

If it were mine i would take it back and change for another.It should run perfectly from the start without any need for lengthy running in.....

Straight out of the box.....

john

Gave it a little run on 4 yards of track this morning while the kitchen was clear!

While not perfect, it does seem to have improved with lots of running in. Fairly slow speed was achieved, better forward than reverse!

So i will take a chance that adding dcc will improve things and while its apart will look for any obvious tight spots pluslack or indeed over lube?

Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 9659 Pannier off ebay this week ... however, it was cheap for a reason!!  I'm not sure what the last owner did to it.  One of the connecting rods has been severed in half, all the brake gear has been smashed off and most of the tyres are wonky on the wheels.  Most bizarrely though is that one of the middle wheels has obviously been removed and replaced incorrectly.  All said though, the body work, motor etc is in very good condition, so I don't think it has been dropped!  Most strange, but definitely a bargain if I can get a few issues straightened out.

So ...

1) How do I remove and replace a wheel from its axle without damaging it?  Its the middle axle, so has all the fake motion on it.

2) Does anyone know where I could get a replacement con rod?  I have tried Dapol and DCC Supplies and there are none in stock until the next manufacturing run at the end of this year, or maybe next.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a spare part listed for a Dapol pannier "steam cock" which looks roughly the right shape for something I need on my diesel class 46 but I can't work out what size it is from the photo of the spare part.

Does anyone know where this is on the pannier - I cant for the life of me find it on my own 57xx but it might be something specific to the 8750 or LT versions perhaps!

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Vecchio said:

Can you show us a photo? 

If this works, it’s this!

(not my copywrite)

edit - just realised this could be what I think of as the lance on the smokebox front. Didn’t twig before but perfect for what I need.

92F688DE-B2D7-4BB8-9736-23EAA041D225.jpeg

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but a big thank you to Krok 182 for the info on CV's.

I purchased a sound fitted loco from Hattons and in my case adjusting CV 584 to lower the volume of the blow offs makes no difference whatever value I change the CV to.

Changing the CV 745 RANDOM 1 to 1 fixed the random shoveling issue.

Has anyone else had the same experience?  Is there an alternative CV that controls the volume of blow offs?

p.s. I also found that I needed to change CV267 to get the Chuff synchronisation to 4 chuffs per wheel revolution.  Out of the box it was 8 chuffs per revolution.

Regards,

Trevor

• 5 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting a dead topic, but I would like to know if anyone has any news about the second batch of 57xx Panniers (plus riveted versions). On the one website it claims that expected delivery is about Q2 2020, so with the next couple of months. However, I can't even find an announcement from Dapol about this batch...

35 minutes ago, HereticUK said:

Sorry for resurrecting a dead topic, but I would like to know if anyone has any news about the second batch of 57xx Panniers (plus riveted versions). On the one website it claims that expected delivery is about Q2 2020, so with the next couple of months. However, I can't even find an announcement from Dapol about this batch...

On Dapol's live catalogue which they update periodically it's still showing Q1 2020. The catalogue was last updated with the information on the banana vans, so I'd assume they forgot to change the dates for the 8750s.

Q2 might be more accurate now that Dapol has reopened, but then again they generally like to show off decorated samples before release and we've seen nothing so far (I'm specifically referring to the lined BR 8750 here which is what I'm waiting for).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 15:31, Hal Nail said:

Put it this way, I suspect you will actually be able to see them in the shops :)

Very rare for me to get a prediction right but I believe shops have indeed reopened before these have been released!

I had to smile when I saw Dapol's caption to that GNSRY shot  - "some transport damage sustained to underframe detail, this has been corrected in the main production run".  Hopefully that means they have got the message about improving their packaging. 

On 14/08/2020 at 12:17, dpgibbons said:

I had to smile when I saw Dapol's caption to that GNSRY shot  - "some transport damage sustained to underframe detail, this has been corrected in the main production run".  Hopefully that means they have got the message about improving their packaging. 

They are using the plastic cradle solution they used with the 14xx.