Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2020 at 14:30, Art Dent said:

Here's my Dapol 57xx - excellently weathered by David Magill.

The pictures are his and are used with his kind permission.

Figures are ModelU and painted by Claudia Everett.

Art

JWB209.jpg

JWB211.jpg

JWB212.jpg

About the only thing that doesn't look real is the painted on shed plate!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

I missed out on the first issue with the unnumbered 8750 version. I was thinking of purchasing the latest issue 9669,  so was wondering how easy is it to change the cab side numbers?

Do they easily ping off or is more work required that may cause damage, can they be overlaid with etched brass plates?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, 70E said:

Do they easily ping off or is more work required that may cause damage, can they be overlaid with etched brass plates?

If they are like the Dapol 14xx I am modifying then you should be able to ease them off with something blunt.

I cannot speak for the 8750 version as I have the Minerva model.

I hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 70E said:

They come off easily. Narrow planet will adjust the size to fit if you quote dimensions - they need to fit inside the moulded lip (see the 14xx thread for photos - exactly the same principle but different sizes!).

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2018 at 17:50, neal said:

For £35 the King works remarkably well. Reasonable sync at low speeds. (Only 2 cylinder sound despite the prototype it is meant to represent)

The TTS round speakers are poor and need an upgrade to get the best from the chip.

Neal

Hi Neal, just found this post and am very interested to see what the results are. Do you have a video of the model in action?

Here you go, a couple of years back.  I have a few panniers, and have tried the TTS Castle and more recently Hall, each have common chuff sounds and work ok. Motor drive is reasonable but lacks fine adjustment.

The best wheeze is the TTS Class 50 in a Heljan loco - not on this Video. This is used as a sound only decoder in parallel with a higher power decoder for motor, lights.  That works remarkably well.

The Class 15 is LLC stock sound, and 31 a continental Sulzer sound file on a Susi chip, with Lens decoder.

Neal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...

I'm ponder one as a treat, I have a smoke box plate from a local 67xx.  But it's from a later build with the 8750 cab.  Other than loosing the front and rear vac pipes, 3 link instead of screw coupling.  What other 'noticeable' visual differences are there between a mixed traffic 8750 and a 67xx?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I'm ponder one as a treat, I have a smoke box plate from a local 67xx.  But it's from a later build with the 8750 cab.  Other than loosing the front and rear vac pipes, 3 link instead of screw coupling.  What other 'noticeable' visual differences are there between a mixed traffic 8750 and a 67xx?

The 67xxs all had riveted tanks.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, you're right. Only the first 50 had rivetted tanks (and I should have added "when built", as a major overhaul, boiler change etc may well have replaced them with non-rivetted tanks).

The last 50 built just before/after nationalisation were built at Swindon, so I assume would not have been rivetted.

What is the number of the engine you're interested in?

Edited by GWR57xx

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring my weathered and details Dapol NCB 'Pannier Tank', No. 7754 edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see No. 7754 action in grubby NCB Green livery, hauling a short mixed rake open and mineral wagons.
Hope you enjoy!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short running session featuring my weathered and details Dapol NCB 'Pannier Tank', No. 7754 edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see No. 7754 action in grubby NCB Green livery, hauling a short mixed rake open and mineral wagons.
Hope you enjoy!

I rather like that! Must fish out my Argo transacord records.

• 1 month later...

added a second to my collection and unlike the first one this one ran terribly with the motor clearly not engaging with the gears . Unwilling to risk £200 worth of engine to the post and stuffed in my plans for an unnecessary journey to my favourite model shop to do a swap because of lockdown I decided to remove the body and see what the issue was . Rapidly became apparent that the motor was not attached and turning a small crew secured it . Tested loco runs like a dream

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, feanor said:

Does anyone have advise on the best way to fit a Dingham coupler to the Dapol O gauge Pannier.

I removed the Dapol sprung hook and glued mine into the buffer beam. 

Graham

FEC2A5B0-27F6-470F-B430-F52FED286A56.jpeg

B9C9D059-317D-41F5-9937-9EAB654F8636.jpeg

Edited by PMP99
Correction

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, feanor said:

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the quick response. How did you go about detaching the hook shank from the spring which is behind the buffer beam, as it appears to be pretty inaccessible to me.

Hi, A while since I did it but I think I just pulled the hook out as far as it would go, then snipped through the hook immediately in front of the buffer beam. This leaves a small hidden part of the hook/spring inside the chassis which hasn’t been a problem to me. Of course it means I can’t reinstate the original setup, but I wouldn’t want to.

Edited by PMP99
Added info