Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

Is there any news about the Red Panniers, when they will be in the shops? I ordered it at Tower the same day I read the news about it. I wanted a Red Pannier since We build a British 4mm layout when I was a member of the Den Helder Railway Club, back in the 90s. So the 7mm loco was a no brainer.

Now I have to find some nice wagons behind it.

• 3 weeks later...

Having picked up my latest purchase (a sound fitted GW version) and I have been looking it over.

I already have a sound fitted Minerva 57xx and so I have been  able to make comparisons between the two manufacturers.

What is slightly disconcerting is the sound project in the Dapol version and unless I have a badly programmed/faulty decoder the following things are present.

1. F10 is the tank filler closing, all very nice but there is no sound functions for opening the filler and water filling!

2. F11 Short whistle #2. This is not a whistle at all, I cant' quite make it out but sounds like a louder injector or safety valve or loud draincocks.

3.F15 Door slam. Sound is flange squeal.

4. F17 is not documented but seems to be draincocks + a bit of coal shovelling with firebox door closing.

5. F18 is not documented but produces another distant whistle.

The balance of volumes whilst moving off is poor as the automatic draincock sound is far too loud, completely swamping the chuffs etc. It would be nice if the CVs for each sound could be documented with their respective volume addresses so that the owner could adjust to suit.

The firebox glow is on all the time, again better if it could link in with coal shovelling sounds or at least have a function key of its own.

CV8 tells me its a Zimo decoder.

Does anyone have any further information on the sound project?

Regards,

Tim

I just received a factory sound fitted 8750 ‚3716‘ - i have found the very same sound functions as yourself. I guess their paperwork is inaccurate. And yes - how loud is the draincock sound! Haven’t managed to turn it down yet.

I programmed the chuff sync value to 85 - and now I’m getting a perfect 4 chuffs per rotation. The factory value was giving me 5.

All that aside - I’m loving it - it’s a fantastic model for the price.

I’d love to figure out how to tame the draincocks though.

I’ve reported this all to Dapol - it is apparently news to them, they will be getting back to me....

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I have also reduced to sound level of the draincocks. Set CV584 to 50 for a more reasonable sound level.

Regards,

Tim

• RMweb Premium

I am happy I didn't take the sound fitted version but the basic one plus sound and speaker from youchoose. It is the best sound of all my locos. Their sound project is just brilliant.

Supported my Local Model Shop & bought mine from them Saturday. Got my first chance to run it tonight, plain old 12v DC.

Also compared it to my Minerva version, which throws up some interesting points. Overall I'd put the Dapol one above Minerva, but I'd be happy to own either, and as the prices are so good, such a 'dilemma' barely exists and happiness can be doubled by owning both!! :D :yes:

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I have also reduced to sound level of the draincocks. Set CV584 to 50 for a more reasonable sound level.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks for the tip Tim! I’ll try cv584. I think that’s the only real issue I have. I don’t particularly mind the other issues - even that strange mess of noise on F11.

• 1 month later...

A tiny bit of progress with the back dating of 57xx to 1854.

Shortened at front, sand boxes ground off and replaced by casting, new rear buffer beam in brass with Archer rivets, tapered Dean buffers from Slaters and new valance.

Still needs handrails, tank step, rear pipes and front buffers.

Will always be compromised but a little different to break the pannier monopoly.

post-1733-0-63115500-1533436893_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Finally it’s there, but have to say, L92 is a very nice machine. So, I am just happy she is there. But, what train do we use behind her. I found thes pictures a while ago on the Internet, I can use the Connoisseur BR kit for the Brake Van and some Parkside “Grampus” kits. For the 16T Mineral I need the Peco kit for the wagon and the frontdoor from the Parkside 16T. And both “Dogfishes” there are at least 3 options. But, what will you guys do... or allready have?

post-27080-0-82445100-1534544571_thumb.jpeg

post-27080-0-25814800-1534544588_thumb.jpeg

post-27080-0-41546600-1534544611_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Finally it’s there, but have to say, L92 is a very nice machine. So, I am just happy she is there. But, what train do we use behind her. I found thes pictures a while ago on the Internet, I can use the Connoisseur BR kit for the Brake Van and some Parkside “Grampus” kits. For the 16T Mineral I need the Peco kit for the wagon and the frontdoor from the Parkside 16T. And both “Dogfishes” there are at least 3 options. But, what will you guys do... or allready have?

Interesting dilemma. The stock options are probably quite restrictive but she is such a beautiful loco... in servicd LT utilised them on engineering trains but didn't handle any general goods traffic? I think that is right in any case.

Probably a case of "...teaching my grandma..." but I think this is acknowledged as a useful resource: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Panniers-Last-Steam-Underground/dp/1899889299

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

Maybe useful?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90758-freight-on-london-underground-late-1960s/?fromsearch=1

• Like 1

Interesting dilemma. The stock options are probably quite restrictive but she is such a beautiful loco... in servicd LT utilised them on engineering trains but didn't handle any general goods traffic? I think that is right in any case.

Probably a case of "...teaching my grandma..." but I think this is acknowledged as a useful resource: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Panniers-Last-Steam-Underground/dp/1899889299

Yep, “granny” got this one allready and it’s a real “no brainer” for every LT and Pannier Tank fan.

Very basic question but what periods are the 'GWR', 'GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY' and the shirtbutton liveries suitable for? Is there overlap between them over the big four era?

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

This is a good reference source for GWR liveries.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries.html

So for the 57xx, unlined green with lettering "Great Western" until ~1934, GWR roundel ~1934-1942, "G W R" ~1942-1947. Certainly a few years overlap during transition periods.

Thanks for your help, that is smashing. It certainly looks to be an excellent website and a great resource. I never cease to be amazed by the helpfulness and willigness to share from the members of RM Web. Even when questions are asked by those such as myself, which appear so basic and stupid! ;)

Thanks once again :)

What sound decoders are recommended for these? Are any of hornbys TTS decoders similar?

For £35 the King works remarkably well. Reasonable sync at low speeds. (Only 2 cylinder sound despite the prototype it is meant to represent)

The TTS round speakers are poor and need an upgrade to get the best from the chip.

Neal