Towed diesels

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched online a video of some diesel locos being towed back from the Swanage diesel gala.

Now, undoubtedly I'm way wrong on this but I thought if an electric motor was driven it turns into a generator. Traction motors are geared to wheels so if my first statement is correct then the traction motors will be generating current. If that is right what happens to the electrickery so generated.

As I say I'm undoubtedly talking out of the place where the sun don't shine....

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

The motors will not generate unless a voltage is applied to the field windings. In a permanent magnet motor you can't turn the field off as it is provided by the magnets,  so it will always generate if rotated. However on a traction motor (and indeed on anything other than small motors) the field is created by energising field windings. No field means no generation.

• Like 1

Electricity also has to have a complete circuit to flow. When the power controller's at 'off' the Traction Motor Contacters are open - they're only closed by selecting 'first notch' on the controller, so with no circuit the motors can't generate. Hence you can also coast even when the engine is running

Electricity also has to have a complete circuit to flow. When the power controller's at 'off' the Traction Motor Contacters are open - they're only closed by selecting 'first notch' on the controller, so with no circuit the motors can't generate. Hence you can also coast even when the engine is running

I think you'd find volts on the terminals if the motor was turned with the field coils energised and no circuit.  In fact I think this might be a risk of damaging the motor by overvoltage. 

I think you'd find volts on the terminals if the motor was turned with the field coils energised and no circuit.  In fact I think this might be a risk of damaging the motor by overvoltage.

You would, if that was to be the case. Except that it isn't.

With few exceptions (Class 60), locomotives with DC traction packages use series wound motors, so once the supply contactors are open there is no circuit to provide excitation to the field coils, so no volts across the armature terminals. For the few locomotives with separately excited DC motors, all that is required is that the field supply is off.

The same principle applies to AC traction motors- no excitation equals no generation.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies. This new fangled electrickery is puzzling stuff.

No, it's very simple.  You switch the switch, and the light comes on, or whatever is supposed to happen.  It might as well be magic beyond that as far as I'm concerned...

• RMweb Gold

Stay away from that 3rd rail stuff Phil!

You might look at it at Alton, but 'tis the devils work, I say!

Funny you should say that...when out on the mainline with various locos the one thing that really, and I do mean really, concentrates and exercises my mind is when I have to step over the third rail. Obviously we look for a break in it to cross but sometimes you have no choice. Again, although we have the 3rd rail guards which fit over it, when you have to water with the hose(s) just above it that makes you think hard too.

We spend nominally a full day on it when doing the Sentinel card course, but when you come to do it for real, well, as I say...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i hate 3rd rail!

i had to speak to the signaller on the LUL lines outside moor park one day from the spt and that was between the shared NR/LUL main line and met proper lines, had about 3ft wide walking route between both live rails to get to the phone, scary stuff

i believe in 'the olden days' as part of PTS you had to get hold of a length of live rail with rubber gauntlets on to pass the course!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with 3rd rail or 4th rail, I've worked on both long before the elfensafetea days and never got damaged by it, but then I never touched it!

You would, if that was to be the case. Except that it isn't.

With few exceptions (Class 60), locomotives with DC traction packages use series wound motors, so once the supply contactors are open there is no circuit to provide excitation to the field coils, so no volts across the armature terminals. For the few locomotives with separately excited DC motors, all that is required is that the field supply is off.

The same principle applies to AC traction motors- no excitation equals no generation.

Jim

Thanks for the information.  I was clarifying the previous point "with no circuit the motors can't generate". 

i believe in 'the olden days' as part of PTS you had to get hold of a length of live rail with rubber gauntlets on to pass the course!

Seems a pretty severe test. On the other hand, those who fail presumably don't come back for a retest!

i hate 3rd rail!

i had to speak to the signaller on the LUL lines outside moor park one day from the spt and that was between the shared NR/LUL main line and met proper lines, had about 3ft wide walking route between both live rails to get to the phone, scary stuff

I had to do the "3rd rail course" when a Traction Trainee, (remember them) at Kings Cross, for the 3rd rail into Moorgate and going across the North London Line. As well as having it drummed into us, "watch were you step" when getting off a loco, we had to go down to Drayton Park station where a short section of 3rd rail track (not live) had been set up so we could show off our prowess with a short circuiting bar. Simples in those days.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

After those overhead warning notices began appearing on everything that moved on BR, I used to get a sort of grim amusement from the mental picture of some hapless soul on the Southern (other live rail systems were and are available but in my head it was always the Southern) looking above him for the mythical overhead wires too avoid and not where his feet were going on the ground...

An early example of elf and safetea gorn mad, actually creating a dangerous situation.  Southern Region emus which would never see an overhead wire were plastered with the 25kv notices as well!

After those overhead warning notices began appearing on everything that moved on BR, I used to get a sort of grim amusement from the mental picture of some hapless soul on the Southern (other live rail systems were and are available but in my head it was always the Southern) looking above him for the mythical overhead wires too avoid and not where his feet were going on the ground...

An early example of elf and safetea gorn mad, actually creating a dangerous situation.  Southern Region emus which would never see an overhead wire were plastered with the 25kv notices as well!

How about the Yards with 650 Volt overhead for the benefit of those locomotives with pantographs!

• RMweb Gold

How about the Yards with 650 Volt overhead for the benefit of those locomotives with pantographs!

Our hapless soul would have been perfectly sate looking upwards in them, as there was no third rail for safety reasons.  Mostly colliery sidings in the Kent coalfield I believe, and made obsolete by the introduction of the E6000 Electro-Diesels, which nowadays would be called 'Bi Mode'...

Our hapless soul would have been perfectly sate looking upwards in them, as there was no third rail for safety reasons.  Mostly colliery sidings in the Kent coalfield I believe, and made obsolete by the introduction of the E6000 Electro-Diesels, which nowadays would be called 'Bi Mode'...

No he would still have the changeover area to trip over!