Piedmont Blues - O scale 2 rail exhibition layout.

2 hours ago, DanielB said:

Thanks Jason. I'm leaning more toward it just having unfathomably dirty wheels, as myself and Ford had a tinker with it in Saturday and managed to get it to move about 6 inches in both directions in between it stuttering and cutting out. I reckon a keep alive might be in order, once we've given it a good clean.

Check the decoder wiring too. I had an issue with one of my locos intermittently losing some of it's lights. One wire was broken, but it took close inspection to find the break!. A bit of soldering cured it.

But I reckon you're right - the wheels sound like the problem.

Well, after some thorough cleaning we have signs of life! It's going to need a lot more work. I think one of the gear towers is sticking as Jason suspected.

Still, on the short bit of track I had cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol it shows a marked improvement.

Thanks guys :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good progress ... if you take the base-plates of the trucks off you should be able to lift out,  inspect and clean all the wheelsets and their gears.  If there's a broken gear, let me know which axle. 

Must admit if I get a say in choosing any forthcoming grand-daughter's name, I would mention Savannah!  Yes, I know, even the daughters-in-law would be able to guess by now how it got my vote  :mosking:  Hmmm ... twins ... Atlanta ...?  There is the tale of the twins born on a D&H passenger train who ended up with middle names Delaware and Hudson!  And of course the girl giving birth on the slow train being scolded for boarding the train so pregnant, retorting "When I boarded this train I wasn't pregnant!"

Jason

• Funny 3

Hey Jason, how about Veranda Turbine for your grand-daughter!  :P

Looking good Daniel!  A bit of fine tuning the decoder will smooth out the starting and slow runnng. When you open the trucks you may find some of the original oil and grease has hardened around the worms/axle gears which is an easy fix.  As well there's a nose bearing below the worm on the motor shaft which can cause some binding. It can either be reamed out a bit, or tbh I just remove them if too bad. No issues so far...  

I know reading the MRH article is a PITA but I really do highly recommend not using IPA or other polar solvents.  See below extract from the article for why.   

Pete

image.png

Edited by GP9u
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice chaps, there's plenty there to consider. :)

As a thanks, here's an update! :lol:

I'm still not used to how RMWeb works as an image host from mobile, so the photos will follow the text rather than be interspersed within it.

Not quite as impressive as Jordan's efforts, but I'm hoping to get the neglected track look down.

I also picked up a few things from Marcways last week, including some Bachmann police officers. As such I turned to eBay to find a suitable police car. Going to have to paint out the doors though!

Finally, I've been working on some background flats to go along with the backscene, when it's done.

First up is this one from a kitbash of Clevermodels' Central Camera kit. Long way to go on it yet, but it's a start! :)

IMG_20191019_205959.jpg

IMG_20191021_154824.jpg

IMG_20191021_154852.jpg

IMG_20191022_171108.jpg

IMG_20191022_171113.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2019 at 15:25, DanielB said:

I also picked up a few things from Marcways last week, including some Bachmann police officers. As such I turned to eBay to find a suitable police car. Going to have to paint out the doors though!

IMG_20191021_154852.jpg

Broderick Crawford, where are you?:biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been working on an office to fit inside the upper floor of Harbbaker's Garage, and this is the progress so far.

The window on the wooden structure will line up with the window on the cardstock structure.

There's a ways to go yet, with a walkway and stairs, plus a steel girder support frame to attach to the underside of the wood office - made from plastruct parts, naturally!

Hopefully I can get more done before I head back to work on Thursday night. :)

IMG_20191102_062718.jpg

IMG_20191102_062712.jpg

IMG_20191102_062657.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2019 at 20:25, DanielB said:

I'm still not used to how RMWeb works as an image host from mobile, so the photos will follow the text rather than be interspersed within it.

Type your text, Tap the screen where you want the photos to go so the blue cursor flashes there and then scroll down and tap the + on the bottom left of the photo. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but I've been busy, as those who follow the facebook page will know. :D

So... progress update time! :D

First of all, I've recently tidied and shuffled around my layout room to give me the space to build a new layout to go along with PB, this one in HO scale. For now the HO layout will be on shelves opposite PB, but eventually I'm hoping to build a support trestle that will allow PB to be raised up to allow for staging for the HO layout to run underneath it. We shall see how that develops, but I already have the timber for it. :D

Anyways, photos of the newly tidied layout room:

IMG_20191118_133211.jpg

IMG_20191118_133216.jpg

• Like 3

The Central Camera building is starting to take shape now that two of the backscene boards have been painted and fitted to the layout:

IMG_20191119_193503.jpg.9be66ad59b7efdf283855397d65e3be9.jpg

I've also been working on some little details for the layout, namely a small bus stop and the pumping equipment for the fuel unloading on the team track:

IMG_20191024_064036.jpg.546cf961f5ce066de9a08870cff729a3.jpg

IMG_20191024_064050.jpg.eeffb41a07e08c1b1a38ba0f2da5211e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On the rolling stock front, I've been putting the ends together on this Williams caboose. It might be a little messy but it's scratchbuilt from wire and styrene. It's getting there, I reckon. Eventually it'll be an ex-Savannah and Atlanta cab.

IMG_20191024_064639.jpg

IMG_20191024_064648.jpg

IMG_20191027_093302.jpg

• Like 3

Last of all, I've started building this papercraft depot kit I found online as a free download. It's based on an E L Moore design. I replaced the paper platform with stained coffee stirers and have been working on detailing the interior as well as looking at adding lighting and furniature. Quite happy with how it's turning out. :)

FB_IMG_1574570235387.jpg

FB_IMG_1574570239234.jpg

FB_IMG_1575935541522.jpg

• Like 3

Just found your layout DanielB, loads to like about it, the weathering, buildings and groundwork are great and I love the unevenness of the track, I'll be following this with interest, great stuff! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DanielB said:

Some serious kinks in that track. (Oooh matron!)

Another view at the same location:

IMG_0873.JPG.a1c393bc9fdfb57f9df3e5597b2195f7.JPG

And a view of the extremely colorful  power at a different crossing:

101_0084.JPG.b97147478e260942aa1db7b836f8afb7.JPG

The track photos are at a crossing about a mile or so beyond this one.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...