Piedmont Blues - O scale 2 rail exhibition layout.

17 hours ago, DanielB said:

Have you considered a small whistlestop type thing - essentially just a glorified bus shelter? Or are you wanting a full depot building?

Sort of a hybrid - as small as possible whilst still being big enough to act as part of a view-block for one of the fiddle-stick entrance holes. I have a fair few photos saved for inspiration but I like the proportions of yours.

In my mind's eye I see something similar to yours but with the roof extended at one end to form a canopy over the platform. I really need to get started on this because it's one of the main structures outstanding before I start on scenic work but it's also one of the few that will be modelled in full relief and I'm finding that quite daunting due to my seeming inability to get things square :lol:.

Maybe look for inspiration in Southern Pacific prototypes? There is always the old depot at Abbeville LA that might be worth a look. Not the one currently used as a restaurant, that is actually the old SP freight house, the original depot building is no longer there. I collected a load of old photos of it that I could find online and drew up a rough plan of what I believe it used to look like. :)

Good hunting! :laugh_mini:

Me too, Al. It'd be nice to see you if you could make it.

That said, the NEC is currently being converted into an NHS field hospital, so I'm not so sure it'll be cleaned up and available again by November.

Even if COVID-19 is all gone by the summer, I suspect the NHS will need the space still to deal with the overflow/backlog of patients for a good while yet.

If the show is cancelled, I'll make some effort to record an ops session and post it online. At least it will be available to see, that way. :)

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 18:41, DanielB said:

On the subject of old ghost signs, I just found this wonderful, wonderful website.

Have fun down the rabbit hole! :P

http://www.drkenjones.com/webPageUSMap.php

Thanks, I’ve found a ghost sign on there that I photographed myself - it’s behind the RS18u  (though I suspect the feed mill was still working  in 1989!) 

87E1009E-A8B9-4EF1-AF16-47731EAAA5BF.jpeg

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/03/2020 at 01:43, DanielB said:

Thanks Dave. I have one of the faded coke signs on the side of my Coke plant. :)

BTW, that 1966 is the date that the sign was restored as told to me by the owner of the antique store inside.

On 29/03/2020 at 01:43, DanielB said:

That photo does however highlight something I have got on the to-do list - electrical breaker boxes. Every structure on the layout is getting at least one. :D

The lower box is for cable tv or telephone.

• Like 2

Quick update for the weekend work - I've built this Kitwood Hill models loading dock to go along with the Coca Cola bottling plant. The mocked up cinderblock building at the end is going to be a freight elevator to allow access to the factory building via a bridge over the tracks. :)

IMG_20200331_091318.jpg

IMG_20200331_091328.jpg

IMG_20200331_091336.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

22 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Looks like a lot of work ... but worth it.

Yes it is a lot of work and you have to be careful the posts stay always vertical all the time the glue is drying.

I remember to have make that several times in HO and N scale. It can be a nightmare to do.

• Like 2

Today's finished project is an Ex-Savannah and Atlanta, Ex-Central of Georgia, now Southern cuppola caboose. It is made from a Williams kit that I picked up from Jason Dickie's American O Scale stall at Seaboard Southern exhibition in 2018. It came without couplers, trucks, or detail parts. It was literally just a chassis casting and a body. I filed off the cast on plastic handrails, and have added new ones made from brass florists wire. I then constructed new ends from styrene and more brass wire. It's then been painted and Microscale HO scale decals added as that's about all I could manage to find that was suitable. It's not an exact match for the prototype but it's as close an approximation as I can manage. :)

Now it just needs weathering and glazing added.

IMG_20200405_131257.jpg

IMG_20200405_131303.jpg

IMG_20200405_131336.jpg

• Like 5

Last night's progress saw the Dunwich building grow by three storeys, and the brick and stone warehouse get a backdrop flat behind it, representing the rear of a hotel. Still some more to do to blend those into the backscene, but that will come once all the backdrop flats are finished, so it can be done all at once. :)

IMG_20200408_175704.jpg

IMG_20200408_175715.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I've not done much on the layout for a while - with Warley being cancelled I've slowed down and relaxed for bit, focusing on other hobbies. However, I did get the last piece of the backscene done. I'm hoping I can get the end pieces done next month. Fingers crossed.

It's been painted and clouds added, and I've started adding background flats. These will be a part of the Coca Cola plant. I also shortened the garage in the left hand corner and added the coal dealer building.

I think the structures on the layout are now about... 30% done. I've got a long way to go.

Oh, and I also picked up a 1967 Chevrolet Impala as seen at the front of the picture. It's 2 years too early, as the layout is set in 1965, however I think I can get away with it if I add a couple of figures to represent Sam and Dean Winchester on the layout. :P

Carry on my Wayward Son.

IMG_20200620_144949.jpg.77635a2ff8772848f5e19b33badcf7e5.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1