Piedmont Blues - O scale 2 rail exhibition layout.

The ground floor of the bottling plant is done, and I've begun work on mocking up the second floor. :)

The wooden annex at the right will span the plant spur and connect via a freight elevator to the kitwood hill loading dock. Should make for an interesting looking industry. :)

20201125_081309.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

Well I did have a massive post typed out but then my browser crashed and I lost it all! :angry:

So... lets try again.

COVID has killed off any motivation to work on PB lately, and due to lockdown myself and Ford couldn't get together to work on the the layout even if we did fancy it. :(

That said, today I've been tidying my layout room ready to begin the Interstate Railroad project in earnest. If you've missed that one, check my signature for a link to the thread.

Well, during said tidying I had a bit of a brainwave on how to kick the lack of motivation, at least a little. One of the tasks left to do on the layout is to work on some pretty huge background flats, and to be perfectly honest I just couldn't bring myself to start them - which is why the project has stalled.

So, as a way around that, if I can't bring myself to scratchbuild such a big structure, then I figured I could recycle some old ones instead. It's not exactly what I wanted to do, but it's made some pretty hefty blank stretches of layout now quite full. :) Compromise is the word of the day, it seems!

Spurred on by this, I have made a bit of a drastic change to the left side of the layout - I never really liked the original building that spanned the tracks there, as the model never really lived up to the idea I had in my head when I started it. As such, it's been dismantled and used for parts as a new background flat. Much better. :)

Maybe this change will encourage me to work on the layout a little more? Maybe, we shall see!

I do know that I'll be moving PB to the opposite wall of the layout room. I'd had an idea to add a staging track to the back left corner of the layout, but in retrospect it's simply not feasible. The space on that side of the room will be much better suited to the Interstate project, so I'm going to start looking into setting up some better benchwork opposite PB and transplanting the layout modules there once that's finished (hopefully to allow the IRR project to extend underneath PB if I so choose. We'll see, I guess.

Anyway, enough waffle, more pictures: :)

152990749_2777790705816374_2069692577802338260_o.jpg.eea0430c3c940bd0bf78cd32a44cf6aa.jpg153525499_2777790785816366_8679445831470853941_o.jpg.a0f9442bc910b82330b0a8c3912d7bd6.jpg152978648_2777790849149693_7734475333932697993_o.jpg.bc43e4a7553e887c93323b39dd441a68.jpg

• Like 9

Yup Dan, no visitors so no useful comments and reactions and certainly no help ... anyone else find they work better when a fellow enthusiast is around? 

OK, lets sell off some bits I may never use.  When's the next Meet?  Oh - all cancelled.  Never mind ... internet.  Type a description in ... not many more to do.  No don't bother with photos, interested people can always ask for one.  Now where shall I put the list?  Where are the Nth Am modellers here in the UK?  Got any boxes and tape ready?  Can you go to the Post Office for that?  Ah well ....

Don't waste time trying to sell stuff at your age, do some modelling.  OK, I'll just get some washing on and go to the supermarket, need to guarantee some exercise, then ....  

What's that?  Now your retired, there's more non-hobby stuff you've got to do, no avoiding it...

You've got enough time to write all this rubbish.  Yes, but if I was Dan's age I'd have enough energy and focus to b*****-well get on with it!!! :music: Aaaaah...!

ATB, see you soon......ish

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, jasond said:

Where are the Nth Am modellers here in the UK? 

Right here, you should know that by now!!! ;) ....and some of us would really, really like to see a list of your US O bits'n'bobs, as it costs a fortune to get them from over the other side of The Puddle. :rolleyes:

For instance, I was detailing a Weaver Geep to match a modern(ish) loco without class lights, so smoothed them off the shell. One Change of Plan later & I now want to do it as a different loco from the '80s, with class lights!! D'OH!!! :banghead:

Precision Scale do them as details, but $5 for TWO - plus silly shipping costs?? It ain't gonna happen.

Unless someone has some spare, here in the UK.... :scratchhead: :yes:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Right here, you should know that by now!!! ;) ....and some of us would really, really like to see a list of your US O bits'n'bobs, as it costs a fortune to get them from over the other side of The Puddle. :rolleyes:

For instance, I was detailing a Weaver Geep to match a modern(ish) loco without class lights, so smoothed them off the shell. One Change of Plan later & I now want to do it as a different loco from the '80s, with class lights!! D'OH!!! :banghead:

Precision Scale do them as details, but $5 for TWO - plus silly shipping costs?? It ain't gonna happen.

Unless someone has some spare, here in the UK.... :scratchhead: :yes:

I have the same problem in France: the cost from USA are too expensive now. A list from an English supplier would be nice. :boast:

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So, Jordan, I've measured a Weaver nose classification lights, spent hours looking in my World's Largest Biscuit Tin, found nothing that resembles them, certainly not the PSC castings, but I have found 3 pairs of washers. They're about the right diameter 6mm with a big hole so by the time you glue'n'paint the nearest pair they'll comply with the 3ft. rule (OK, OK, for you youngsters ... the .9M rule).

Don't tell me you scraped the mouldings off the end of the long hood too ... did you?

Are you still at B64......?

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jasond said:

So, Jordan, I've measured a Weaver nose classification lights, spent hours looking in my World's Largest Biscuit Tin, found nothing that resembles them, certainly not the PSC castings, but I have found 3 pairs of washers. They're about the right diameter 6mm with a big hole so by the time you glue'n'paint the nearest pair they'll comply with the 3ft. rule (OK, OK, for you youngsters ... the .9M rule).

Don't tell me you scraped the mouldings off the end of the long hood too ... did you?

Are you still at B64......?

Jason

Sounds worth a try :good: I probably have some clear sprue or something I can make the lenses with.

(Don't tell me you scraped the mouldings off the end of the long hood too ... did you?) Yes, I did :banghead: but the decals sheet I'll be using has black rings for the moulded 'blanks'.

(Are you still at B64......?) Yes I am. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

49 minutes ago, long island jack said:

Have you not got that track finished yet, what you been doing in lockdown!!!!!!

Thanks Ray,      :jester:

Unfortunately the track is in the clubrooms , which have been locked since last March.

But I have been working on stock, checking couplers, metal wheel set upgrades & detail upgrades on Weaver cars.

Just doing little bits here and there. Don’t forget, O Scale is bigger than HO by a factor of 8.

You haven’t started your O scale layout yet!:P

• Like 1
  • Funny 1