Piedmont Blues - O scale 2 rail exhibition layout.

Agree with Mick :declare: I have used 'HO' decoders in some O scale locos with motors wired in series; a TCS Wowsound in my GP35, and an HO Tsunami in the single-motor Atlas 1200 Switcher, though I'm no big fan of Tsunamis.

I've used a Loksound L in my Alco RS3 & that would be my decoder of choice; I need 2 more for Weaver Geeps now! It's only a bit more expensive than tbe Wowsound but at 3 Amps is a better 'insurance policy' against overloading, however unlikely that might be on switching layouts.

Funny enough I was looking at German ebay just this week, as Coastal DCC has Loksound L at £140. It was only £110 a couple of years ago! :( such is the problem with the value (or lack) of the Pound recently. I'm still minded to use Coastal as Kevin is great to deal with & very helpful with aftersales help too.

Thanks guys, gives me something to consider. I'd planned to have the layout at 19'x9' in a U shape eventually, so maybe the O scale decoders might be a better shout?

Mick, got any links for those Germany stockists?

• Like 1

Thanks guys, gives me something to consider. I'd planned to have the layout at 19'x9' in a U shape eventually, so maybe the O scale decoders might be a better shout?

Mick, got any links for those Germany stockists?

These are the guys I've used recently, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232675855269?ViewItem=&item=232675855269

The decoder price seems consistent with German dealers, but the postage can vary. If you do an ebay search and select EU you should bring them all up.

The Loksound L V4.0 (ref 54399) is the best I know for O scale (sound and quality).

And for Alcos, they have all the range of motors. See ESU for the exact motor you need.

They resist to a high current consumption. Deutsche Qualität!

In Germany, they sell it for 130 € including the programming of the motor you need. That's a good price.

Edited by JAMO

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's very much appreciated.

Over the last couple of evenings I've started working on weathering the CoG boxcar, using prototype photographs as a guide.

First off, the prototype reference photo for one side of the car:

40032482654_4829893f3e_c.jpg

Next, the progress so far on replicating it. At this stage it's had a base rust colours applied with acrylic paint, then the rust built up with oil paint, and then weathering chalks added to the still wet oil paint.

25871707857_dc6d2a601e_c.jpg

The next steps for this car is to seal the work so far with dulcote once the oil paint has dried, then hit the whole car with a wash of isopropyl alcohol and india ink to dull down the shine on the car sides.

• Like 7

The Piedmont Blues style apparently originated in the area in the 20's - including in Georgia. The name is a reference to the musical style more than the location. :)

It's a blatant rip off of Jon Grant's naming style (Sweet Home Alabama, Sweet Home Chicago, etc) :P

Edited by DanielB

• RMweb Gold

As it includes Blind Willie McTell (from Georgia), that’s a great inspiration.

From Wikipedia, the Piedmont (shaded) is indeed centred on the Carolinas, but extends both north (As far as New Jersey!) and south (Georgia and a bit of Alabama) of them.

Piedmontmap.png

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

Whilst bored at work, I've let my mind wander, and taken the rough shape of the "layout room" in the house I've just put an offer in on - 19'9" x 8'9" - and had a bit of a play in SCARM. A "what might be" flight of fancy, if you will.

Now I've been forced to use the templates for the O scale track already in SCARM, so the dimensions are going to be off, but with handbuilt track I should be able to get it all in a bit better, give or take.

So here's the daydream imagining of what PB could look like in that space.

Whether that happens or not (spoiler alert - probably NOT!), it was a fun little exercise that killed a boring lunch break for me. :D

Streetrunning. Streetrunning everywhere!

38940687190_21944a08c6_b.jpg

• Like 6

Mmmm, street running!! *drooling homer simpson smiley*

On that plan, I'd change the road between 8 and 10 to follow the same curve of the track, rather than go square to a corner, so there's even more sreet running. I know we tend to have this idea than all US roads are straight & based on a grid plan, but it isn't always true!!

Ha ha that's epic!! :D :good: fair enough mate just ignore me, good luck with the house, because that photo deserves to be modelled!! :yes:
  • Like 2

Ha ha that's epic!! :D :good: fair enough mate just ignore me, good luck with the house, because that photo deserves to be modelled!! :yes:

Or this picture which is doing the rounds, and highlighted to me by Dr Quinn:

post-6819-0-41582000-1520940306_thumb.jpg

"This is Oshawa,Ontario, Canada. The switcher is making it's way from the former GM North Plant on Ritson Road towards Bruce Street and straight on down to the former CN yard and station by Simcoe Street."

• Like 4

Progress last night and today has been a bit scattergun in it's focus, so rather than explain it all I'll show photos. :)

Further weathering on the CoG Boxcar:

40788502611_a87369b629_b.jpg

Coupler repair and weathering on a BevBel New Haven PS2 hopper:

40746371092_525ebed490_b.jpg

Painting and weathering on a scratchbuilt corrugated metal lean-to shack:

40078737654_49bfdd88ee_b.jpg

39893790765_e3d43feb21_b.jpg

39893786685_eb8309b83e_b.jpg

26918586408_87a0e88dcc_b.jpg

Interior added to the Hoosier Mama building's loading dock:

40078740564_2831e5763f_b.jpg

I've also added bricked up windows and capping stones to the same building, then I've cut out one of the boarded up windows on the Habbaker's building, and I've been working on finished the garage with the wooden tower added to the top. I'll get photos of that later, when it' done. :)

• Like 4

Today I've been working on the scenery on the centre board. I'd say it's about 75% complete for now. Once the scenery is done, I'll get started on the structures.

The caboose in the photos is a Lionel 3 Rail model which I am in the process of converting to 2 rail. So far I've done the trucks, next I need to do the couplers and the underframe detail. After that it'll need to add a rooftop solar panel and battery box, then the correct paint scheme to represent a "Local" assigned cab.

26074462187_c012940370_z.jpg

40052990315_06a7a534a0_z.jpg

26074462487_14b618163f_z.jpg

40052990705_51deabd9ba_z.jpg

• Like 6

Weekend update time, I guess. :)

Mostly I've been working on scenery for the centre board, however I've also done a bit of structure and rolling stock work.

First up, I've turned this K-Line 3 Rail boom car...

41001378521_f615cb3ef6_o.jpg

...Into this 2 rail flat car:

39192406620_40c4e3fa24_c.jpg

It still needs a brake wheel, then the lettering painting out and replacing with something more fitting - probably CB&Q :)

Next, the loading dock at the back of the layout. I've been working on a building to go here, but decided instead to put a loading dock here and then potentially add the building in as a flat building by fixing it to a sheet of plywood which would bolt into the side of the benchwork once the layout is set up at shows. Mainly because space is a premium in my car, and I'm not sure I could fit the originally planned building in the car!

40292401554_2e11c2aa0e_c.jpg

Finally, we needed a way to hide the servos used to power the turnout throw bars. I made a ballast bin out of scrap wood and styrene, and a stack of ties from strips of suitable sized balsa wood.

27130603998_b4db84d229_c.jpg

Close ups of the ballast bin. Stanley Knife (box cutter to Americans :) ) for scale.

40292403684_a1b02a0a5d_c.jpg

39192409690_a8e8382259_c.jpg

The hinges, latch and padlock all need painting still.

Hopefully I can get the fencing for the lumber yard finished today.

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 3

With the centre board almost complete, I've turned my attention back to the end board to get that finished, so I can focus my full attention on the sector plate board for the last few weeks before Bingham show. :)

26151506387_1b54269e4d_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been quiet on the layout front as of late, because I've been working on one of the more mind numbing parts of the build - laying cobbles between the rails, and carving the roadway. There's about 30" of this to do, and I'm about half way through it.

Afterwards it'll get sand between the cobbles, then the whole thing will be getting painted and weathered. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week. :)

Once that's done, I can get get started on the Georgia Hardware Company building which will go over and around the cobbled street/tracks.

Between these, I'll be working on ground cover on this module, which will hopefully complete the basic scenery for the whole layout, and with loads of time to get it done ready for the Bingham show in 10 days time. ;)

41173893302_5201ab8aa3_c.jpg

• Like 2