Piedmont Blues - O scale 2 rail exhibition layout.

Hi Andrew,

The white cobbles are individual self adhesive squares from a company called "The Craft Place". I simply peeled them up from their backing and stuck them down, one at a time.

The black cobbles are 5mm foam core board with one side of the backing paper removed and the cobbles carved with a sculpting tool.

41224851061_1d1306d86e_c.jpg

27350911458_575c28f682_c.jpg

41224851381_56c2379735_c.jpg

It's mind numbing, but it does make for great results. :)

• Like 6

Brilliant Daniel! The result will be realistic.

A french friend of mine has made him self his cobblestones to make a paved road. It was a boring work. You way is very good! And match the modern stones! Great!

• 2 weeks later...
Bingham show is now over, and it was a truly great little exhibition. Definitely worth the visit for the public, I think.

Piedmont Blues did us proud. With only small issues of dirty track and an overexited servo powering one of the turnouts, plus rusty wheels on the RS3 and GP35 needing a good clean, the show went really well.

All the minor issues were fixed respectively with a thorough cleaning with a block of wood and some isoproyl alcohol,  disconnecting the servo and operating the turnout by hand for 20 minutes to allow it to cool down, and then running the layout using the Plymouth switcher for a while whilst the two 4 axle locos had their wheels serviced.

Not many changes were made to the layout whilst we were at the show - with the exception of a couple of crossed ties at the end of the Georgia Hardware spur to stop cars running off the end of the layout.

Instead, we were focused on taking turns running trains, and whilst one of us was doing that, Ford would work on lighting the buildings, and I was working on freight car projects.

Speaking of:

27628732638_61e870e3d3_c.jpg

With the exception of adding the running numbers to the car ends, this one is now ready for weathering. Hopefully I'll have that done, and a full loose load of woodchips done by Seaboard Southern in September.

The car was set up on the end of our layout tables as a display piece for the public.

41500376571_db045a436e_c.jpg

We're planning to have a full information display ready for September as well, showing prototype photographs of the area we are modelling.

On the subject of photographs, here are a bunch I took showing the layout set up in it's (current) entirity...

40789806244_c48a299904_c.jpg

26632773017_b4ef3618e3_c.jpg

40609570425_8a96774daf_c.jpg

27631602048_a42514dd9e_c.jpg

39694180200_bfdae69f38_c.jpg

40609566585_9049dd0c2c_c.jpg

27631596268_82fb22260d_c.jpg

26632764177_f4b2c3c06c_c.jpg

40609560975_15c20433ea_c.jpg

41503024831_d1004f0710_c.jpg

41503017231_55e7773407_c.jpg

41503007731_78d74a75f3_c.jpg

41503001881_3404dc26cb_c.jpg

26629993517_95f5c71c69_c.jpg

26629985957_093a031627_c.jpg

41458918322_45db592627_c.jpg

Lots to do between now and September, but before anything can happen with the layout, I need to finalise purchase of my new house and get moved in, as I'll have the space to have the layout set up permanently so I can work on it. :)
  • Like 11

Great stuff, Dan - nice to see the whole set-up. Will you be doing backscenes eventually?

I don't quite know why, but some of these photos remind me of a sticker I saw on the back of a Pick-up Truck in Orlando...

"Speed up! I hear Banjo Music!!" :jester:

Honestly, no backscenes for shows - we simply don't have the room in the car to fit them. Once in the new house, I absolutely intend to add backscenes to the layout. Plus a lighting rig, and several extensions. :)

I've been looking at photographs of Georgia, and speaking to several modellers from the state, and they seem to think we've managed to capture the look of the state. That's high praise indeed, in my book!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers chaps! :)

Look what turned up in the mail from Mr. Dickie!  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

41528610292_909c89ef33_b.jpg

Which immediately went into the paint shop, and now looks like this:

27843193628_27b8ffe5de_b.jpg

Interestingly, #100 was the first RS3 built for the L&N by Alco, way back in... November 1951. No idea what became of her in the end, but on Piedmont Blues she still lives! Or she will do, when I've finished weathering her up. :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Here she is after further application of Pan Pastels. Almost unrecognisable from her B&M origins.

Which I was going to lament, until I looked at the superb job you have made of it.

Also, the shed-on-stilts over rail-in-cobbles shot a day or two back immediately put me in mind of photos of Savannah!

Thanks Simon. :)

The Southern RS3 I have is going to be similarly - though nowhere near as heavily - weathered. The GP35 will be getting a very, VERY light weathering job to show a month or two of service.

What are you doing about the handrails for the Weaver RS3, Dan? The plastic ones as supplied aren't too robust - at least the ones I had with my Weaver Geeps weren't, but the stanchions are correct for the RS3, whereas I've just accepted that on my Atlas RS3, they're horribly inaccurate; one of the 3-rail legacy compromises on an otherwise nice model.

Not much of an update this week, as I've been relaxing and playing xbox, as well as hitting the gym to try and get in better shape for a Tough Mudder event at the end of July.

I've done a little more work on L&N #100, trying to get the model to look more like the prototype photographs I'm working from.

Still a loooooong way to go, so be kind! :)

27988847148_2e132e2114_b.jpg

26989178267_b7b295e4cc_b.jpg

Please ignore the blu-tac covering the headlamps, I'm trying to keep paint/powders off them.

26989178187_a5bb252af7_b.jpg

26989178177_9cf5f1569e_b.jpg

:)

• Like 5

Only a quick update for today. I had an hour this afternoon and managed to fit - and do the initial testing of - an ESU Loksound L V4 in my GP35. I need to build a speaker baffle to better fit the speaker into the fuel tank on the bottom of the loco, which will be a project for another day.

The decoder fitting was surprisingly simple. I do still need to wire in the headlights for the loco though, but again - project for another day! :D

I'm happy - it works.

• Like 2

Whilst bored at work, I've let my mind wander, and taken the rough shape of the "layout room" in the house I've just put an offer in on - 19'9" x 8'9" - and had a bit of a play in SCARM. A "what might be" flight of fancy, if you will.

Now I've been forced to use the templates for the O scale track already in SCARM, so the dimensions are going to be off, but with handbuilt track I should be able to get it all in a bit better, give or take.

So here's the daydream imagining of what PB could look like in that space.

Whether that happens or not (spoiler alert - probably NOT!), it was a fun little exercise that killed a boring lunch break for me. :D

Streetrunning. Streetrunning everywhere!

38940687190_21944a08c6_b.jpg

Hi there,

Just discovering this thread, and I like what I see.  But, I have one comment about this track plan.

The section around 2-5 seems "forced" to have interesting trackwork.   The diamond formed by the 3 switches and the crossing just looks weird to me.  (although I'm sure you can find several prototypes for it)

I think what I would do is remove one of the tracks to the staging yard, the one on "the top".  That would climinate one switch, and the track from 5 could still cross the track to 3.

Something like this...

post-7591-0-23991000-1525546936_thumb.jpg

Maybe play with the angle of #5 so its not as curved...

Thoughts?
  • Like 3

If I'm honest, Mike, it was put in there to create a run around for switching the spurs there. But after your post, you've convinced me that it's not needed. It'd make switching more interesting too - as I'd have to switch facing points on the way back. :)

Thanks Mike. :)

Only a quick update for today. I had an hour this afternoon and managed to fit - and do the initial testing of - an ESU Loksound L V4 in my GP35. I need to build a speaker baffle to better fit the speaker into the fuel tank on the bottom of the loco, which will be a project for another day.

The decoder fitting was surprisingly simple. I do still need to wire in the headlights for the loco though, but again - project for another day! :D

I'm happy - it works.

Very nice job!

Rather than spend time on making your speaker enclosure, could I be so bold as to recommend these:

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-t1-1925s-speaker-module-2-1-2-x-1-1-8--264-944

I promise you will be gobsmacked at the sound quality, especially the almost extra octave of bass. They also offer one smaller unit and several larger ones depending on what you can fit in. All seem to work very well with Loksound decoders.  I'm in Canada these days so Parts Express works as a souce. Hopefully there's a way to get them in the UK. 

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I've had plenty of folk recommend those Tang Band speakers to me now, but as I've already purchased a couple of speakers from another source, those will have to be an upgrade for a future time. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, though! :)

L&N RS3 #100 is into the final stretch now. Once the weathering is finished I'll be adding the number boards to the hood ends, I also need to create a horn bracket to match the prototype photographs I've been working from, which are here:

I've fitted the railings but still need to weather them.

With some rare sunny weather yesterday, I took her outside to get some daylight photographs:

42052114791_abb0d116f6_b.jpg

42052114731_d6a838b8ee_b.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with how this is turning out. Next to be detailed and weathered once this one is finished will be my Atlas GP35. :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
I've fitted the railings but still need to weather them.

A suggestion. Only weather the handrail posts, the actual railings will be kept relatively clean by the action of the crews' hands. Also you might want to consider a clean, shiny band on the long hood where shoulders.arms would wipe along it.

• Like 2

A suggestion. Only weather the handrail posts, the actual railings will be kept relatively clean by the action of the crews' hands. Also you might want to consider a clean, shiny band on the long hood where shoulders.arms would wipe along it.

I've seen that recommended before, too. :good:

Those handrails do look very good and straight, Dan, especially for plastic. :yes: