Shuker field micro layout 4ft x 18"

I've just found your thread and it's really inspiring - it's inspiring me to take up fishing or astronomy or volunteer at the donkey sanctuary, anything that doesn't reveal my total inability to emulate modelling that's a fraction of the standard that you're producing. Stunning work!

Yours in despair,

Sun VI

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff. Wonderfully distressed......in fact positively distraught in places!

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree.....

I find it really challenging trying to suggest similar states of disrepair in my modelling.

This guy is jaw dropping...

http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/nouaillier_a.htm

His work has been appearing in Continental Modeller for about 18 months now.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

I've just found your thread and it's really inspiring - it's inspiring me to take up fishing or astronomy or volunteer at the donkey sanctuary, anything that doesn't reveal my total inability to emulate modelling that's a fraction of the standard that you're producing. Stunning work!Yours in despair,Sun VI

No way will I accept your disparity. What about the human resolve? Get your glue and knife and practice!

Going that extra mile when scratch building can really set your work apart from others.

I make all my own brickwork from scratch, using giftware plaster. I used to scribe every model, which would take hours but I now have a negative mould of a sheet of my scribed bricks which I use to cast my walls. In the pictures you can see the clear liquid sitting in the mould. This is a “wet water”, which sound ridiculous but it’s true. Using mixed in soap, the water glides into the silicone and removes all bubbles prior to pouring in the plaster. The plaster is then mixed and the wet water is poured out just before casting. This reduces bubbles by nearly 100%. There nothing worse than a few tiny holes in the middle of a brick wall. Especially at 00 scale.

After an hour I pull the cast out and voila! A lovely sharp sheet of bricks at the thickness of 5mm that is a true-to-life thickness of house and building walls.

This plaster is amazing to work with and paints to a true Matt finish if using the right paints.

I will be using these sheets for my signal box.

I also wanted to see what my signal box would look like with some bricks so I balanced one of my finished models upside down and rested the box top on it. Looks okay! post-21051-0-27095500-1519241952_thumb.jpegpost-21051-0-62249900-1519241967_thumb.jpegpost-21051-0-21705800-1519241991_thumb.jpegpost-21051-0-28693400-1519242011_thumb.jpegpost-21051-0-56343600-1519242039_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...