Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Wapello Creek, WY layout.

Hello all! This is my first time really on this forum properly and under the encouragement of my brother (Alsager model railway group and Weaver hill). 

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your preference I am a fan of American Railroads over the railways we have here...

Anyway here is my layout topic from start to finish so you can all share the progress with myself, as all models it starts with laying things out on the living room as an idea, and I shall build it up from there. I have some simple objectives for this layout which will be at a show in the Staffordshire area at the end of July so I best get on with it! 

The objectives 

1) This is a layout that is purely here as a place that I can run my models and have some scenery to view them in!

2) The layout will be a "round and round" one as I prefer to be able to leave the layout running and see trains running then spent time "switching".

3) The layout will be a fictional location that I can run whatever train I would like in whatever consist. 
4) To build on my model skills and learn new things to potentially use on other model railways.

The idea of the layout as above is so I can finally have a permanent place to run my models, and not on the Roco Flexitrack whenever there is space to as the clearance on the garage layout is not wide enough to allow for my locos let alone double-stack containers. 

The idea is this will be set somewhere in the North American wilderness, somewhere in the wastes of Wyoming. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Idaho and Minnesota and seen a variety of liveries and cargo's so my collection represents this. The scenery on this layout will be canyon wall with the railroad cut into the rock with a lake lapping up to the side, common in the North. It will be a simple oval with storage sidings on the rear behind a break, this will allow me to base this as a scenic layout with running trains. 

The idea of the name is from a location I used to travel to watch trains called "Wapello" Idaho. Adding the creek makes it entire fiction so allows the license to do whatever I would like. So enough typing and onto some pictures. This is the progress right now, some boards on the floor with flexitrack. Idea is to have a 12ft front to the layout to allow a large run for the models.

I will keep you updated as I progress this layout...

post-11728-0-91565500-1494526887_thumb.jpg

post-11728-0-43131600-1494468366_thumb.jpg

post-11728-0-33047700-1494468577_thumb.jpg

post-11728-0-66203300-1494469000_thumb.jpg

Thank you for you time in reading this.

Seb. 

Edited by SebEIRR
  • Like 3

It was going so well, and then splat: that horrible yellow thing.

The CSX behind it is fine though ;)

Nothing wrong with Union Pacific!  :blum: Definitely my favourite livery I have seen over there, the CSX loco is a new addition to my fleet; I arrived back from a short trip to the states on Tuesday and I found that model for a silly price that couldn't be left!

As for NS there is one on preorder for me! Its one of the liveries im missing along with BNSF "Swoosh" livery!

Edited by SebEIRR

Sorry for the spam post, after some time today to sit and plan things, this is the layout plan that I am going for, we will see if it stays true to the intention but really look forward to progressing with it; next stop B&Q for some wood! 

post-11728-0-91565500-1494526887_thumb.jpg

Seb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay some new stock arriving today from Japan for the layout in the form of an Amtrak unit however upon testing this doesnt seem to work, keeps slipping to a standstill which doesnt fill me with confidence, especially with the weight of it, its very heavy!! 
If anyone has any ideas to help me or if you have had any issues with P42 from Kato then let me know....

Pictures for reference. 

Adiecastmetalweightrunsalongthelengthoft

Eachtruckfeaturesacorelessmotorwithaflyw

Pictures of the inside so if anyone can see what I should be taking off to check or anything like that please let me know.... Really gutted about this as its something ive been looking forward to and now it isnt work is a little depressing! Have checked all the wheels and givent them a clean and all the brass seems to be the same! So no idea...  <_<

May I suggest you re-post in the 'USA & Canadian Railroads' section where you will find a wider audience and plenty US experts who may be able to help with your loco problem.

Mal