The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

18 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

A lot of Italian HGVs were also RHD, for the same reason.

Lancias  [Lanchas] wagons always were (and even a lot of Lancia cars too -as Rugds interesting video about the Gloucester restorer posted above explains)

Silverstone (when 2 or 3 of us used to bike down as school kids from north Derbys to camp overnight in the early 1950s) used to have some wonderful old Iti buses turn up and kip alongside us with old 4CLT Maseratis and such like stuffed into them.

I enjoy buses of that vintage turning up occasionally in Young Inspector Montelbano these days

dh

• Like 4

3 hours ago, runs as required said:

Lancias  [Lanchas] wagons always were (and even a lot of Lancia cars too -as Rugds interesting video about the Gloucester restorer posted above explains)

Silverstone (when 2 or 3 of us used to bike down as school kids from north Derbys to camp overnight in the early 1950s) used to have some wonderful old Iti buses turn up and kip alongside us with old 4CLT Maseratis and such like stuffed into them.

I enjoy buses of that vintage turning up occasionally in Young Inspector Montelbano these days

dh

Mrs.Rugd1022 is now ell versed in the correct pronunciation of Lancia... :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

A pre-war Baltimore Transit Company  (Maryland) Pullman Standard trackless trolley. In this series of photos, it is being towed (@1976 or 1977) to its new home at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum.  The first three shots are on Howard Street where it ran for most of its active service life. The last shot shows it arriving at its temporary storage at the MTA Bush Street facility:

BTCoTrackless001.jpg.a135a725c980c23636e52582da4c91b7.jpg

BTCoTrackless004.jpg.fcbabb04513b485f975375fc7a3c3660.jpg

BTCoTrackless002.jpg.094a65f98707ac98ff5e1387483f692a.jpg

BTCoTrackless005.jpg.b38b87b990c664d0f7685d7edc9bf436.jpg

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

A pre-war Baltimore Transit Company  (Maryland) Pullman Standard trackless trolley. In this series of photos, it is being towed (@1976 or 1977) to its new home at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum.  The first three shots are on Howard Street where it ran for most of its active service life. The last shot shows it arriving at its temporary storage at the MTA Bush Street facility:

BTCoTrackless002.jpg.094a65f98707ac98ff5e1387483f692a.jpg

Interesting to see that the channels under the bridge where the overhead wires used to run appear to be still in situ on that photograph.

Howard St downtown looks a bit different to that today!

I've got a photo of that trolleybus taken inside the BSM depot building back in 2011.......

11-2681.jpg.1d41c37283e21c9c5c92d4f7fdfc868d.jpg

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 10

Went to the Beer and Buses event this weekend, unfortunately as you know it "rained a bit", however we had some good beer and travelled on a few grand old ladies

our transport from Cowes to Newport

DSC02442rmw.JPG.5bcae86be1fbed86b44df7d898866b43.JPG

a nice Routemaster

DSC02443rmw.JPG.d12ae142cae35ec7c55c42c541bf1f6a.JPG

A pal of mine had a Royal Blue just like the one in the middle

DSC02444rmw.JPG.6184fafc8b899a58944fb60bf788bc12.JPG

One brave soul out there

DSC02451rmw.JPG.6ccafa19e51d5d5349ffdc22caebed37.JPG

In the queue to get back to Cowes saw this

DSC02452rmw.JPG.6e44d21dcf5e628d4f1989165f9635c8.JPG

and my favourite of the day, took us from the IoW Steam railway to Newport, very nostalgic!

DSC02445rmw.JPG.a9493f565ae215a9ae0232ca4b1b291e.JPG

Would have been really good on a dry day! but at least we had liquid compensation, sampled several Island brews!

• Like 12

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Lancia provided trolleybus chassis to Cape Town for bodying as double deckers. British manufacturers had ceased producing trolleybuses.

Porto (Portugal) certainly had Lancia trolleybuses - both single and double deck, one of the double deckers being preserved at Sandtoft.

http://tram-porto.ernstkers.nl/Trolleybuses.html

Can't recall Cape Town having any though, particularly when the system closed around 1964 - will check up later today when I have access to my library!. They certainly operated Ransomes and Sunbeam ones though. One of the Ransomes ones is preserved at the James Hall Museum in Johannesburg.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
link inserted

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Porto (Portugal) certainly had Lancia trolleybuses - both single and double deck, one of the double deckers being preserved at Sandtoft.

http://tram-porto.ernstkers.nl/Trolleybuses.html

Can't recall Cape Town having any though, particularly when the system closed around 1964 - will check up later today when I have access to my library!. They certainly operated Ransomes and Sunbeam ones though. One of the Ransomes ones is preserved at the James Hall Museum in Johannesburg.

It might have been Joannesburg rather than Cape Town. Apparently they were practically identical to the Sunbeams that preceded them, possibly built under licence.  

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It might have been Joannesburg rather than Cape Town. Apparently they were practically identical to the Sunbeams that preceded them, possibly built under licence.  

The Italian built vehicles in South Africa were actually supplied to Johannesburg in 1957, being a batch of 20 Alfa Romeo/Ansaldo chassis which were bodied locally in SA.  There were apparently (unspecified) problems with Sunbeam providing chassis, so that is why the order ended up as Italian ones. They remained in service in Jo'burg until 1974.

For anyone interested in such things, see Italian Trolleybuses Abroad, which was published by Trolleybooks a couple of years ago (and which I still have to read properly!)

• Informative/Useful 1

On 14 October 2019 at 17:36, MinZaPint said:

Went to the Beer and Buses event this weekend, unfortunately as you know it "rained a bit", however we had some good beer and travelled on a few grand old ladies

our transport from Cowes to Newport.

One brave soul out there

DSC02451rmw.JPG.6ccafa19e51d5d5349ffdc22caebed37.JPG

Love those old Gardner engined high rad Bristol Ks I - even with  6 bay ECW  body cut down as an open topper.

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That last one (Alitalia sign) made me think of a VW bus/van.:biggrin_mini:

Presumably aimed at the same market. I first came across Alfa's commercial vehicles via The Observer's Book of Commercial Vehicles from the early 60s. Said volume also contained such previously unknown exotica as the Triumph Herald Courier and the Standard Atlas, along with the oddball European stuff, and the even odderball Japanese micros. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tha later Alfa coach and the 1969 Lancia are both bodied by VanHool in Belgium. The Alfa had the same model  of body as the first VanHools imported to the UK by Smiths of Wigan in 1966, based on LHD Leyland Tiger Worldmaster chassis which were originally destined for South America IIRC. The ship they were aboard sank in the Thames estuary and the salvaged chassis were sold to Smiths. VanHool of course are now a significant player in the UK industry.

Lancia played a significant role in the early years of the UK bus industry when Barton imported large numbers of them in the 1920s which were lengthened and bodied in the UK. The first roadgoing Diesel engined bus in the world is credited with being one of those after Barton fitted a Hornsby engine to it in 1930. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The Leyland Worldmasters were intended for Cuba, the ship carrying them ended up on its side after a collision. The Americans made strong objections to the sale of these buses and there were, and still are suspicions about the accident. They were originally fitted with dual door bus bodywork. Some of the less damaged ones did go to Cuba after they were recovered and repaired. Those that went to Smiths the original bodies were badly damaged and were scrapped. A couple of the buses were reported to have survived in Cuba but its doubtful that they are in use.

An unexpected treat today was a trip aboard FRM 1. 

This was the first time I'd actually managed some mileage with this unique vehicle.

I sat at the back to make sure there was the sound of an AEC 570!

IMGP7996 A.jpg

Edited by Unicorn1
  • Like 10