colas rail paint producers?

• RMweb Gold

done anyone do tinlets of colas rail orange and yellow paint, cant see anything listed on phoenix or railmatch sites?

if not which humbrol colour is the closest to them, when i did my class 70 i just used humbrol paint (iirc) but i cant remember which numbers i used, the orange i used is a bit too bright but the yellow is pretty close to Bachmann's colour rendition, im looking to patch paint a modified 37421, just the grille area both ends

8F680E57-0D56-496F-ACAC-F9B0E78CF9A0.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for that, i couldn't find those when I looked!

As it happens I found the humbrol I used for the yellow in the 70 and have brush painted it on the 37 earlier but I dropped a ball by using grey primer which is showing through after the first coat, I think I'll have a go at getting it back off with a little bit of thinners and redo with the proper Phoenix paints

• RMweb Gold

rubbed down the paint and redid it with white primer and tried humbrol 99 and railcolour orange

quite a good match on the yellow but i think i'll try the proper colas orange when it arrives

D0FA5EDE-FB59-46C7-84DB-0BA0BE168208.jpg

also added handrails to the end and patch painted the headcode boxes

E189DFB1-26B9-480B-9B53-9B80731BDDBA.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Phoenix paint arrived today, they didn't look too much different to what I'd put on already until I brushed some on, the orange is a far closer match to the Bachmann rendition than the colour I originally did it with but the yellow is near as dammit the same as humbrol 99

AE9106AC-BA36-42C7-9F81-D195D147FD48.jpg

I've put some gloss varnish over it in readiness for applying the numbers which also arrived today from railtec, need to source some new roof horns too

Also added a modelu 'little willy' driver looking back at his train

639D4427-CFAA-4FCE-8B15-5959D2E7712C.jpg

The only other thing I can't get to work is the lights, I got the loco cheap 2nd hand so they may not be working anyway but the cab lights are

Pleased with it so far, should look good once the numbers and logos are also added

• Like 1

The Phoenix paint arrived today, they didn't look too much different to what I'd put on already until I brushed some on, the orange is a far closer match to the Bachmann rendition than the colour I originally did it with but the yellow is near as dammit the same as humbrol 99 AE9106AC-BA36-42C7-9F81-D195D147FD48.jpg

I've put some gloss varnish over it in readiness for applying the numbers which also arrived today from railtec, need to source some new roof horns too

Also added a modelu 'little willy' driver looking back at his train 639D4427-CFAA-4FCE-8B15-5959D2E7712C.jpg

The only other thing I can't get to work is the lights, I got the loco cheap 2nd hand so they may not be working anyway but the cab lights are

Pleased with it so far, should look good once the numbers and logos are also added

Is the body quite securely screwed on ? Always have issues with the light contacts if not quite tight enough

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not screwed it back on yet while I finish it but squeezing it tight doesn't make the lights work

Simple solution, have it pushing my DBSO train and stick a portable tail lamp on it!

Edited by big jim

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...