SW1500

May I ask what methods the "scratch building" bit will encompass? Having previously cut my teeth with a few Craftsman kits in 4mm scale and latterly with white metal and brass castings in HO scale, there is a trap waiting for you whereby a badly fitted and inaccurate detailing part looks worse than the original.

I have a couple of SW1500s on my workbench and will follow this book with interest, even if their intended final use calls for a full suite of SP spec lighting over RPM detailing. In fact I didn't realise one of them had its brake cylinders missing until I compared it to another Athearn loco.

So what did I do? Cannibalising another loco may have been as cost effective as ordering spares or aftermarket replacements, but I ended up drawing them and having a set 3d printed, and is certainly quicker and easier than scratch building 8 of them:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JL53VSBUF/ho-sw1500-brake-cylinders-x8?optionId=61568664

• Like 1

Hi guys,  Responding in the date order of your posts...so.

Tove:  Book two covers the GE 9-40CW, subtly different to the 9-44CW.  I had submitted far more than just the 9-40CW to the publisher.  ES40DC modifications to the IM model, and my unfinished C39-8 which included a scratch chassis.  This info will probably be included in one of the next three books they plan to publish from my manuscrit and images.

GP38 HH, it's on my list, but I mainly build 6 axle power over 4 axle.

w124Bob: The publisher is going to offer it both in paper and e-book.

298:  The scratch building part, publishers use of the term not mine, involves rebuilding the radiator core, more like adding to what was existing.  Adding a radiator fan.  Your brake cylinders look good.  I see you designed them with the brake 'on'.  Always a conundrum that one, they are correct only a part of the time, depends on the orientation of the cylinder rod either set in or out.  Never 100% correct, is it...?

Prof K:  The book will be sold by the publisher, OST Publications, they commissioned me to write for them.  You can get these etched switch throws along with any other detail parts you fancy from me.  my e-mail is sissons.tony@gmail.com   Use that over PM as I don;t visit RMWeb as often as I once did during the Charlotte Road and Widnes Vine Yard days, both expo layouts now sold and gone.  Postage for these etches is not expensive as these parts can be mailed out in an envelope.  http://tonysissons.zenfolio.com   The parts available keep growing as I need something that is not available by the Details Assoc and other after market parts boys.  Or what is available is no longer up to snuff.  

Prof, these are not functioning throws, cosmetic only.  The usual works are under the B/Board.  

Gene:  I was asked to write a book about my modeling style some three years ago now, it's not every modellers cup of tea.  I submitted over 85,000 words and around 900 plus images, of which 40% were prototype images.  The text covered not only the SW1500 build but also the GE dash 9's, an EMD SD70M-2 build (the flared radiator design), a  C39-8 along with locomotive sections such as, 15,000 words plus images on plows and pilots.  Another 30K words section on roofs and the modifications I have done to the variety of them ou there, and sections on the main shell, trucks, fuel tank and the plethora of pipework that goes under the sill.  A full chapter on modelling tools I make, or modify, to suit certain tasks.  Originally no model was finished, it was all about the construction techniques that I have successfully adopted.  The publisher decided to break up these sections and extract specifics covering one locomotive design at a time.  This entailed additional work to sew all the separate parts that were in separate sections and placethem in a coherent fashion for one locomotive design, then finish it, painting, weathering and all.  Hence the first book, decided by my publisher is the SW1500.  

Long answer to your question... lol, the short answer is, yes, I was writing this book last year.

As an aside, I'm one of the handful of true protomodelers here in the US.  Rivet counting is as it always is, but when nasty offensive words and slogans are written in the dust on the side of the fuel tank, and they often are, I model it and display it.  It's fun that someone else's opinion still offends when the model is on display at an RPM meet.    

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1

298:  The scratch building part, publishers use of the term not mine, involves rebuilding the radiator core, more like adding to what was existing.  Adding a radiator fan.  Your brake cylinders look good.  I see you designed them with the brake 'on'.  Always a conundrum that one, they are correct only a part of the time, depends on the orientation of the cylinder rod either set in or out.  Never 100% correct, is it...?

Cheers, Tony

As is the beauty with holding your own drawings, I can fix that...

• Like 1

Thanks Tony...that answers my question. I'm familiar with your work and posts from Protomodeler.com...that is were I became aware that you were writing a book.

Cheers

Gene

• 3 weeks later...