Street running in the UK

TomJ

On 19/05/2021 at 20:04, br2975 said:

Street running in Cardiff Docks, with 08854  and a brace of ASW internal users having crossed the Communication Passage Swingbridge, 12th. April, 2002.

Thirty one years earlier I watched HS4000 'Kestrel' going in the opposite direction,  top and tailed by two Class 08s, en-route to the Queen Alexandra Dock (out of shot, left) and eventually Russia.

This bridge was also the scene of a major pitched battle several years after I took the photo; when troops from U.N.I.T. engaged alien life forms known as 'Cybermen'

Brian R

08854 Communication Passage 120402.jpg

That's a great pic, and I hadn't realised the line was still operating in the early 2000's!  Went for a walk round there some years ago with a fellow Dr.Who fan who was living in Cardiff, and tried to find the bridge where the battle scene had been shot :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, russ p said:

How on earth has that consul hit the loco ?? The lettering on the wagon sums it up!

It might have been parked inappropriately, elsewhere on site I witnessed an unloaded artic reverse over the bonnet of a car parked outside the water softening plant. I was too far away to influence the outcome, however the car was parked on top of road markings "NO PARKING IN THIS AREA". Mill Hall Road through the site was private but often used as a short cut by the public, it was closed off by tubular gates when an oil train was due, one clot racing through site hit the closed gate!

Iirc Hornblower's buffer planks were 2" plate down almost to rail level (to stop it dropping too far if derailed?), added ballast weight for adhesion. She weighed about 28T.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The only bits that weren't badly corroded were the parts that were replaced after wartime bombing. 

Only the deck plates were badly corroded, most of the structure was quite sound. What really killed the LOR was the idiotic stipulation that it had to be waterproof, other overhead railways around the world were open to allow the rain to fall through. Much of the Chicago EL is almost identical in design (apart from the open decking) to the LOR and still working.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 23:47, Andy Kirkham said:

Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough

RAE Farnborough, 'Invincible' on Elm Grove Road.

The curve at 0:28 is still visible crossing the path and in the grass.  When I started at DERA Farnborough in 1996, a lot of the old RAE buildings seen in the film were still there too (and in some cases, still in use).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/07/2021 at 16:18, Ben B said:

That's a great pic, and I hadn't realised the line was still operating in the early 2000's!  Went for a walk round there some years ago with a fellow Dr.Who fan who was living in Cardiff, and tried to find the bridge where the battle scene had been shot :)

As you probably know, this location is within walking distance of Torchwood HQ, and the Ianto Jones 'shrine'

Away to my right when taking this photo was the NEG (Nippon Electrical Glass) factory, whose existence from construction to demolition was comparable  to the length of a 'sparrows fart' but part of which survived long enough to feature in an early episode of Torchwood where ISTR an alien autopsy was carried out - 

Whilst at the Celsa Tremorfa steel works, the Doctor slugged it out with John Simm's "Master" in the former Electric Arc Furnace building.

I was once a minor 'fan' of the 'Doctor' but the plots, the BBC w*ke lectures, and Jodie Whitaker have driven me to other, more worthwhile pursuits.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Is there a photo 20ms later, when the foreign lorry, driving on the wrong side of the road, hit the van coming the other way?

I know it's north of the Watford Gap, but I didn't think Birmingham was in a foreign country (even if they do have strange accents as far as Southerners are concerned).

• Funny 4

On 17/07/2021 at 22:27, jim.snowdon said:

I know it's north of the Watford Gap, but I didn't think Birmingham was in a foreign country (even if they do have strange accents as far as Southerners are concerned).

Spondon is between Long Eaton and Derby...  Birmingham is a foreign country from there!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - but are you allowed to describe it as street running ( as an oddity )  when there's a tractor up front !!?! :scratchhead:

You know I didn't look closely enough to realise that was what it was. Well anyway that's interesting in itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...