Clean Garden Railway Track Tips

Can you help please?

With the warm weather in UK beginning to appear our thoughts as 0 gauge garden railway modellers turn to uncovering, operating & possible track alignment.

However, one problem that I have experienced over the last two years is dirt on the track, together with possible sap blotches, from nearby trees, appearing on the track, resulting in the stoppage of my locos. I am operating a Lenz DDC system, with over 60 yards of double track. The rest of my layout is contained in a Log Cabin.

So my question to those with similar garden railways is;

How do you keep the track clean during operating sessions, after the initial clean and with what ??

Use of IPA or other track type cleaner

Special cleaning vehicle/truck

There must be a wealth of information out there and hopefully having read

my plea you will you will record through these pages.

Regards

Keith Gowen

There's a whole garden railway section now, proably some good info there.

It's over twenty years ago now since my OO in the garden, DC on Peco Streamline ns rail. However I still use on indoor track what worked equally well on outdoor. The back of regular hardboard. Mount a pad of it on a suitable length of broomstick at an angle you find comfortable to push along. Clean off the accumulated black muck after a few sessions with a wire brush, replace hardboard pad as it wears out. Cheap, simple, effective.

Got this idea from Pendon in the long ago, and what works for Pendon...

Keith, when I had a layout in the garden I to used a block with hardboard and it does an excellent job. I have also used end grain of 2x1 timber and I think its better as once dirty, and it gets very black, you just cut a slice off, say 1/8th and its a new cleaning tool. simples!

regards

mike g

• RMweb Gold

Is it sap or sugar from aphids? We used to get a lot on the garden line and the car, but like it had been sprayed with glue. The sugar is soluble so a quick spray with water and rub the railheads with a wood block or hardboard after a minute usually clears that easily.

I gave up on rail cleaning for pick up years ago reasoning life is too short and so are my arms where an 8 foot tunnel is involved and went on board battery power.   Using LGB type pickups bearing directly on the track might be worth a try. 

• 2 months later...

Afternoon,

Following my request back in May 17, on this web site I asked for information, tips etc on keeping my garden track clean, I have had many helpful replies. Some I have shared with you in their replies.

I think I have finally come up with a good solution in the 0 gauge Scale.

Firstly I purchased from Digitrains at Lincoln, an 0 guage CMX Car, as I had read many good reviews on this product, plus very helpful video on You TUBE. I also took the opportunity to email Tonystrains in the USA, who sell & build the car. For those who are not formilular with the CMX system it basically is a large heavy tank for which fluid is inserted by way of  a 5-10cc syringe with alcohol. Under neath the tank are two skid pads which are covered by a corduroy type of upholstery fabric with backing. A valve adjusts the “ drip “ flow onto the pads which in turn wipes the track.

The trick however is just not the I P A but Caig Deoxit Solution, which is mixed in the tank as follows:

Purchase 25ml DeOxit D100L, a bit pricey, add to this  a pint of 91% isopropyl alcohol. Both solutions can be inserted into the tank with a syringe. Mix the two together and off you go pushing or pulling with your best loco. This wagon/car is heavy!! The DeOxit D1000L product is designed to clean electrical contacts whilst the I P A dissolves the gunk!!

The above is just an overview.....two weeks ago I cleaned the outside track of my garden railway with tanker car full of the mixture and during that period with three days of rain and sun my locos travel round the layout without any problems. To test I even put the loco directly onto the exposed track and went into my indoor DCC control system, pressed F1 to check for sound and off we went.

One last thing, loco wheels must be clear, one of our golden rules, and 98% troubled running outside was achieved.

Lastly much can be read on the internet with good video, in fact this months Railway Modeller has a feature on this very subject.

Thanks to all you replied to my request. Forum item closed as far as I am concerned.

Keith Gowen