B233 - CIE 'C' Class chassis trials

NoelG

Short video clip of B233 undergoing chassis trials which is really a Murphy Model (Bachmann) 141 chassis with a SilverFox 'C' class body kit on it.  The 141 chassis is a near perfect fit with minimal cutting needed at cab ends to get a snug fit.  It is actually less expensive to sacrifice an MM141 as a donor chassis than buy a pair of 27:1 ratio gear box black beetle power bogies, or commission a Hollywood Iron foundry centre drive chassis. (Btw the sound is not the C class, its a 141 station pilot in the background. Spud drives with 15:1 ratio gear boxes would not have suited because they are too fast for low speed shunting and prototypical smooth start/stop speeds.  This particular Bachmann centre drive AWD/AWP chassis is one of the smoothest.

New arrivals B233 'C' class and B121 GM switcher

IMG_2102.jpg

In paint shop awaiting coat of matt varnish after decals applied

IMG_1842.jpg

141 chassis with 4mm of front cut off each cab end

IMG_1770.jpg

Carborundum mini cutting disc used to shorten each end of the chassis

IMG_1771.jpg

Edited by NoelG

I could covet a C class for Arigna Town, makes an ideal branch line loco for the early diesel era. Are there any drawings available? Am guessing nobody is going to produce a 7mm scale kit anytime soon...

Decided to change the bogie sides on B233

B233 C Class - Removed GM bogie sides from the Bachmann/MM 141 chassis and replaced with Silverfox resin sides (Metrovic Irish C class).  The Bachmann/MM bogie frames snap fit onto the bogie truck, act as a seal on the gear box, and host the NEM pocket.

IMG_2178.jpg
GM top LHS removed, and on top bogie
MV bottom LHS being added, and on lower bogie
Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

I could covet a C class for Arigna Town, makes an ideal branch line loco for the early diesel era. Are there any drawings available? Am guessing nobody is going to produce a 7mm scale kit anytime soon...

This is the only drawing I've seen.  I am planning to do a green 'flying snail' era livery one next now that I have sourced a perfect drop it fit centre drive chassis.

C%20Class%20Loco%20drawing.jpg

Edited by NoelG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...