Halts in all their glory

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Who lit the oil lamp - guard of the last train before dusk?

Who cleaned, filled and trimmed it  - itinerant lampman or porter?

From memory, certainly in North Eastern areas it was the responsibility of the next station in the Up direction.  The lamp cases are empty which may mean that they have been prepared and lit and placed on the first suitable train for a member of staff to put in the lamps, or they may have been removed because nobody bothered?  It's probably in a dusty sectional appendix somewhere.

I'm confused by Churn. In this photo, it appears to have a fairly respectable set of buildings, neat fencing etc. https://www.railwaystationphotographs.co.uk/churn-railway-station-photo-upton--blewbury---compton-didcot-to-newbury-10-7043-p.asp  

But, later pictures show a very, bare place, with a simple shelter that is either wood or brick, hard to tell.

When and how did it fall from grace? And did the siding get turned into a loop, amking it a rare island platform halt?

Edited by Nearholmer

Here’s another modern one, High Rocks on the Spa Valley line, near Tunbridge Wells.

30746C47-C578-4F46-8B32-39955A780C1F.jpeg.6b4ea4058e2d9a781a0f238720d99458.jpeg

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

It replaces an earlier version, on a slightly different site, which probably wasn’t DDA compliant.

F6906FED-FE47-4D9F-9BA6-3A64B0B7332D.jpeg.da0ac623fb74005added495a458556f5.jpeg

I haven’t visited the rocks that it is named after since the 1970s, when they were almost completely forgotten, and the Victorian tea gardens and suspension bridges had long since rotted away, but I think vegetation has now been cleared and vistas restored.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

Tackley on the Oxford - Banbury line.  The rather bodged looking bridge made of scaffold poles is a recent addition by Network Rail so they could close the level crossing across the bridleway just south of the halt.  The station is no longer remotely DDA compliant as the crossing was the only way wheelchair users could cross from one platform to the other.  Horse riders are not to happy, either.

1989691576_TackleyHaltP1200041.JPG.5149dda7c6943d2b8ac17856982c2e72.JPG1004604364_TackleyHaltP1200042.JPG.4d2e68e4719112970e45b752fae62f51.JPG

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2021 at 17:31, Nearholmer said:

I'm confused by Churn. In this photo, it appears to have a fairly respectable set of buildings, neat fencing etc. https://www.railwaystationphotographs.co.uk/churn-railway-station-photo-upton--blewbury---compton-didcot-to-newbury-10-7043-p.asp  

But, later pictures show a very, bare place, with a simple shelter that is either wood or brick, hard to tell.

When and how did it fall from grace? And did the siding get turned into a loop, amking it a rare island platform halt?

Perhaps it was when the line was doubled during WW2.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The work in WW2 was extending the passing loops, with resignalling as needed, rather than doubling. Churn wasn’t used as a passing place, there was just a siding for the military traffic.

edit: whoops! See next post, stay in after school, 200 lines: “ North of Newbury was doubled in WW2”

Edited by Northroader

On 17/08/2021 at 20:35, Nearholmer said:

Here’s another modern one, High Rocks on the Spa Valley line, near Tunbridge Wells.

30746C47-C578-4F46-8B32-39955A780C1F.jpeg.6b4ea4058e2d9a781a0f238720d99458.jpeg

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

It replaces an earlier version, on a slightly different site, which probably wasn’t DDA compliant.

F6906FED-FE47-4D9F-9BA6-3A64B0B7332D.jpeg.da0ac623fb74005added495a458556f5.jpeg

I haven’t visited the rocks that it is named after since the 1970s, when they were almost completely forgotten, and the Victorian tea gardens and suspension bridges had long since rotted away, but I think vegetation has now been cleared and vistas restored.

I went there with my family a couple of years ago, there's a very nice pub/restaurant and the rocks themselves are a nice place to explore.

• Informative/Useful 1

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Beach-Halt_22_08.21_26.JPG.450e1adad5d44463a93675b6e3daadb2.JPG

Here's an interesting halt I just had to nip back to photograph after a ride on the line- very much a 'light railway' atmosphere.  Beach Halt on the Fairbourne; a faded shed, a nameboard, and the remains of some concrete platform edging beside the unfenced track.  Really characterful stuff.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_RUSSEL_22_08.21_26.JPG.58d1d7f6fd6ecc17a56f3af00ffac28b.JPG

It's out of use for Covid reasons at the moment, like the other (equally simple) halts on the line, though at least the trains are busy.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

From Ray Viney

The second of those would do well in a railway trivia quiz.

Which halt had no vowels in its name?

(I’ve been told off for making jokes about the Welsh language before, so I will add that I understand the ‘w’ to create a vowel sound.)

Were there any others?

• Like 1

I just stumbled upon this real oddity, which Wikipedia says has the shortest platform in Britain. It says the same about Berney Arms, so there is clearly rivalry over this point. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauly_railway_station

PS: we’ve had this one before though - I just recognised the wooden miniature train/seat/flower-planter/conversation-piece thingy.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The second of those would do well in a railway trivia quiz.

Which halt had no vowels in its name?

(I’ve been told off for making jokes about the Welsh language before, so I will add that I understand the ‘w’ to create a vowel sound.)

Were there any others?

I think the two Y's also count as vowels in Welsh