Any wheel any size!

I've been printing directly on the build plate for my S scale wagon wheel centres.  It works very well and the only consideration is that the burn on layers cause a slightly larger diameter due to light bleed and I've offset that by putting small rebates round the edges next to the baseplate.

s-scale-wagon-wheels-009.jpg.38379c0a04625ad759c031ba67a8108d.jpg

This is one of my tests of a three hole disc wheel.

I also tried reducing the number of burn-on layers to reduce the increasing diameter problem and found that I could go down to two burn-on layers instead of the six recommended for the resin I'm using - Phrozen ABS-like Grey.

I can get about thirty wheels on the plate.  Technically I could get more but the wheels are so close together that excess resin stays between them and all the wheels come off in one sheet. :-)

Jim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I like them David.

What software are you using? I use Inventor and spent some time recently getting the profile of the spokes correct with all the tapers etc, it wasn't the easiest thing I have done!

Julia.

9mm wheel 12.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I can 3D print these wheels although I am working on something a little more exciting! 

Sounds interesting! 

I was thinking along the lines of developing  a web interface for the application. Imagine an webshop where you can order any wheel,  any size, any scale.  The app could fire off an order for the wheel centers to a 3D-printing service, and an order for the tyres to a CNC-machining centre. 

The biggest challenge might be to find someone to assemble the wheelsets for a resonable cost and with sufficiant prescision. 

But with the whole world as a market, it might be an viable business plan!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 03/01/2020 at 16:32, Andy Reichert said:

From a production cost point of view, it's the metal rim that's the problem.

But we could see development of all plastic wheels, with battery powered, locomotives.  Not my personal choice, but maybe most practical.

Andy

Could electroplating the wheels be an answer?.

2 hours ago, rocor said:

Could electroplating the wheels be an answer?.

Not if it wears off as fast as nickel plating does from brass wheels.  Using 3D printed wheels as lost wax casting moulds is a more likely low-volume M/F solution.

Andy

1 hour ago, Andy Reichert said:

I was thinking ahead to including the rim. The pictures look as though the rim is a separate turned item. If that's is the case, we'd still have a considerable likely cost issue.

Andy

Andy.

In the case of my wheels, the rims are manufactured for the 2mm scale association.  They are CNC turned and purchased in large batches therefore substantially reducing the part cost. Being available to members they are extremely useful for home brew wheels like my own.

M.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 03/01/2020 at 14:01, -missy- said:

I like them David.

What software are you using? I use Inventor and spent some time recently getting the profile of the spokes correct with all the tapers etc, it wasn't the easiest thing I have done!

Julia.

9mm wheel 12.JPG

I use Fusion 360, I have used Inventor when my employed paid the licence fee to use it. Your spokes tend to taper from hub to rim from drawings I think they curve from somewhere along the spoke to the rim.

The wheels I hope to get produced will follow the normal 4mm wheel with a plastic centre with a turned metal rim.

David

You can't beat a good 9F wheel drawing. They beat a path to your door by a rather convoluted route. One point on the 9F wheel render further up the page. Shouldn't the large boss be the flange-less wheel? Unless your modelling this fella.

2005772999_EveStar55FlangePwD2014.jpg.3d6fb2398a009d8378b21d46a2c52e5b.jpg

3 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Are these better?

Luverly.

That's one man I know of motivated into carrying on with his two chassis. He might even continue with a third once he see's these.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, -missy- said:

Andy.

In the case of my wheels, the rims are manufactured for the 2mm scale association.  They are CNC turned and purchased in large batches therefore substantially reducing the part cost. Being available to members they are extremely useful for home brew wheels like my own.

M.

Thanks for pointing that out. Definitely changes the cost equation (at least for 2mm).  Here in the US, the Proto:87 conversion options for Steam models is virtually zero.  Something we've been held back by, since 1996. Europeans have had a little more luck with some dedicated suppliers and machinists, such as Herr Teichmann. 

I'm slowly making progress with chassis and track, but even using CNC machining, making just 6 or 8 rims at a time is never going to be affordable for most interested buyers.

Andy

On 26/12/2018 at 09:24, michl080 said:

Morning Andy,

you are right. The spokes need to be elliptical to minimize the mechanical stress.

Here is a picture of a Bavarian S3/6 wheel. Sorry, I couldn't find a British example...

speichenrad_ro080112d9fcz.jpg

Please note that the dimensions are metric :-)

Michael

Hi Dave, how are things. I like what you are doing and like 'big Porcy' I would be in the market for 9F wheels though in EM for the same Bradwell chassis. I'm looking at photos of the real 9F wheel and it occurs to me the the bevel should be a bit 'taller' and the bevel looks to return on the inside like the drawing posted earlier in the thread, the print you are showing admittedly unfinished has the peak of the bevel continuing to the wheel back parallel to the tread. Just making a comment not meaning to criticize in any way. I have plenty of books and photos of BR Standards which I'm quite happy to search through for decent shots of the wheels if you like.

Cheers and 'Happy New Year' to you and the good lady.

Dave Franks.

7 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Luverly.

That's one man I know of motivated into carrying on with his two chassis. He might even continue with a third once he see's these.

Makes me think of making a start on mine as well, once the terror of opening the box wears off...

1 hour ago, davefrk said:

'big Porcy'

Thanks, but it begs the question, how do you know?  P.s. Parcel arrived safely this morning. Thanks.

like 'big Porcy' I would be in the market for 9F wheels

Tis Mr Becareful who is planning to build all the 9f's. He has many coal trains to build and haul to fire his Lancashire power station.

it occurs to me the the bevel should be a bit 'taller' and the bevel looks to return on the inside

Sorta like this:

9F-Wheel-008Sm.jpg.2e2344e4e0caa140c9b5a7f4e55a9310.jpg

P (Big)