Any wheel any size!

1 hour ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I used Exactoscale Wagon wheel tyres I am not sure you can still get them although Ultrascale will make tyre to suit.

David

Thanks David. I was thinking of massacring a couple of sets of Exactoscale wagons wheels.

This might sound like a dumb question, but if going down the Ultrascale route, I just need to measure the overall diameter and width of the rim. No funky math to make sure its a interference fit or anything?

4 hours ago, Down_Under said:

Thanks David. I was thinking of massacring a couple of sets of Exactoscale wagons wheels.

This might sound like a dumb question, but if going down the Ultrascale route, I just need to measure the overall diameter and width of the rim. No funky math to make sure its a interference fit or anything?

I sent the tyres to Alan Butler at Modelu so I think he may have adjusted my original design slightly to fit the tyre, so I cant tell you want the inside diameter of the tyre should be, also the Exactoscale tyres are less than 2mm and the wheels where designed to match, so probably best to get a micrometer out and check.

David 

• 5 months later...

Apologies if this has already been asked, having recently taken delivery of a Hattons 14” Barclay I was wondering if wheels for one of these might be possible with a view to P4 conversion?

Many thanks
Mike

• 1 month later...

Those look very good David . I suspect I am not alone in wondering when and how they will be made available for purchase as I have need for four axles worth of the Pecketts.
Belated addition, in P4 please.

Cheers,

David

Edited by davknigh
Adding information and correcting spelling.
  • Agree 2

I am going to get some people to do some test builds on these wheels first as want to ensure others are happy with the way they work etc.

Also currently these inserts fit a standard Gibson P4 3'1" wagon wheel tyre. The prototype Barclay wheel is pretty close to this although the Peckett maybe an inch or two out has any one got the exact dimensions for this wheel as I may do a version that fits the wagon wheel or another one that is spot on.

I need to cost these up but at the moment I am looking around the £6 for four wheel centres.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

has any one got the exact dimensions for this wheel

I don't have the exact dimensions. I know it's bad practice to measure the model as a datum but as I've used the Hornby wheel centre to fit a slightly thinned Gibson P4 tyre. 

I tried a few tyres but to my eye the tyre that fits the wheel best and has most fidelity with the prototype is the Gibson 4838W  3' 2"  Tender Disc wheel. It used Colins 12 .6mm tyre.

I compared the 3' 3" Garratt wheel that uses the 13mm tyre It's surprising how much that additional 0.4mm affected the look of the wheel when mounted in the chassis. It just looked too big

Dunno if these dimensions are any help.   (Hoping that cut & paste keeps the formatting).

Hornby Wheel Root Diameter,    12.74mm

Gibson 4838W Root Diameter.   12.44mm        Tender Disc wheel 3' 2" 12.6 mm tyre.

Gibson 4839G Root Diameter.    12.93mm        Prototype Industrial Garratt 3'3 ½" 13.00 mm tyre.

Hornby plastic centre Diameter,  11.45mm      Not including larger diameter locking moulding.

Hornby Wheel Root Diameter,     09.80mm

Max Diameter over Flange            14.33mm

Gibson 4838W Root Diameter.  12.44mm     Tender Disc wheel 3' 2" 12.6 mm Tyre.

Inside Flange                                 09.94mm     Inside bore 10.04mm

Max Diameter over Flange         13.19mm

Gibson 4839G Root Diameter.  12.93mm     Prototype Industrial Garratt 3'3 ½" 13.00 mm tyre.

Inside Flange                                10.45mm     Inside bore 11.06mm

Max Diameter over Flange        13.69mm

P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Hi Mike

Not yet I have a few I can try although these are printed with Egloo standard, what would you recommend?

David

You need one of the "Tough" brands if you can get it. Siraya Blu from all the reviews but with the general resin shortages I cannot speak from experience.

58 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I don't have the exact dimensions. I know it's bad practice to measure the model as a datum but as I've used the Hornby wheel centre to fit a slightly thinned Gibson P4 tyre. 

I tried a few tyres but to my eye the tyre that fits the wheel best and has most fidelity with the prototype is the Gibson 4838W  3' 2"  Tender Disc wheel. It used Colins 12 .6mm tyre.

I compared the 3' 3" Garratt wheel that uses the 13mm tyre It's surprising how much that additional 0.4mm affected the look of the wheel when mounted in the chassis. It just looked too big

Dunno if these dimensions are any help.   (Hoping that cut & paste keeps the formatting).

Hornby Wheel Root Diameter,    12.74mm

Gibson 4838W Root Diameter.   12.44mm        Tender Disc wheel 3' 2" 12.6 mm tyre.

Gibson 4839G Root Diameter.    12.93mm        Prototype Industrial Garratt 3'3 ½" 13.00 mm tyre.

Hornby plastic centre Diameter,  11.45mm      Not including larger diameter locking moulding.

Hornby Wheel Root Diameter,     09.80mm

Max Diameter over Flange            14.33mm

Gibson 4838W Root Diameter.  12.44mm     Tender Disc wheel 3' 2" 12.6 mm Tyre.

Inside Flange                                 09.94mm     Inside bore 10.04mm

Max Diameter over Flange         13.19mm

Gibson 4839G Root Diameter.  12.93mm     Prototype Industrial Garratt 3'3 ½" 13.00 mm tyre.

Inside Flange                                10.45mm     Inside bore 11.06mm

Max Diameter over Flange        13.69mm

P

Thanks for these dims I will keep playing, the render below shows the wheel at 3'3" 1/2

Peckett new.jpg

• Like 1

David,

If you're pondering over tyres, I have used Ultrascale tyres on my Peckett, fitted to turned down Hornby wheel centres. Worth investigating, as the range he can produce is quite varied and I found delivery times not too long (about a month).

Regards,

Geraint

20200717_133643.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of a P4 persuasion, I have stocks of wheel rims made to the profile below. Most, but not all, sizes are available in 3inch steps between scale 3 and 7 foot diameter. 

The price is £2.00 each + £2.50 p&p

Send me a PM or email if you are interested

mailto:sales@mousa.biz

Worn profile rims.pdf

Edited by billbedford

On 10/08/2020 at 20:38, billbedford said:

For those of a P4 persuasion, I have stocks of wheel rims made to the profile below. Most, but not all, sizes are available in 3inch steps between scale 3 and 7 foot diameter. 

The price is £2.00 each + £2.50 p&p

Send me a PM or email if you are interested

mailto:sales@mousa.biz

Worn profile rims.pdf 6.86 kB · 23 downloads

Hi Bill

have you a 4'10" or 4'11 tyre

David

• 4 weeks later...

David's Peckett wheel centres fitted to Gibson wagon wheel rims.

P1070319a.JPG.b95ae35a67941285082491aa7ca561d6.JPG

P1070321a.JPG.a7503ea2a130b57fd890538987e340bc.JPG

The brake gear has not been attached, because I have lost them in my modelling room!

The cylinders and wheels have been painted with Humbrol 120 Light green matt AA1238, courtesy of Paul Bannerman.

Gordon A

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

David's Peckett wheel centres fitted to Gibson wagon wheel rims.

P1070319a.JPG.b95ae35a67941285082491aa7ca561d6.JPG

P1070321a.JPG.a7503ea2a130b57fd890538987e340bc.JPG

The brake gear has not been attached, because I have lost them in my modelling room!

The cylinders and wheels have been painted with Humbrol 120 Light green matt AA1238, courtesy of Paul Bannerman.

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

Can I ask please; do these wheels run true?  Did you machine the edge of the printed wheels before fitting the steel rims?  They are really impressive and I'm hoping at some point that you will allow me to exploit all your hard work so that I can fit the correct profile wheels to the LNER loco's that I am scratch building (sort of)  for Clayton.  

Regards,

Frank

• 4 weeks later...