Any wheel any size!

I have now had a play and it is really easy to create most wheels the Peckett one was simple I just added the balance weights and adjusted the spoke profile.

As for the Manning Wardle type this was my first design and have been manufacted my Modelu see this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102267-manning-wardle-wheels/?hl=%2Bmanning+%2Bwardle+%2Bwheels

All this was done in Autodesk Fusion 360 a free download and in my opinion miles ahead of sketch-up the renderings are also done in Fusion.

post-186-0-66221500-1545767385_thumb.png

post-186-0-56167100-1545767695_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26206300-1545767892_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53674500-1545768657_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 3

I have now had a play and it is really easy to create most wheels the Peckett one was simple I just added the balance weights and adjusted the spoke profile.

As for the Manning Wardle type this was my first design and have been manufacted my Modelu see this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102267-manning-wardle-wheels/?hl=%2Bmanning+%2Bwardle+%2Bwheels

Hi David,

I’ve used the link to look at your Manning Wardle wheel centres, they look very respectable and compare well with the AG wheels.

Have you fitted a full set to a working model yet? I’m wondering whether you have had any issues with the plastic breaking either under use on a loco or fitting and removing them from the axle multiple times?

Such a good idea of yours!

Frank

Edited by Chuffer Davies

Hi David,

I’ve used the link to look at your Manning Wardle wheel centres, they look very respectable and compare well with the AG wheels.

Have you fitted a full set to a working model yet? I’m wondering whether you have had any issues with the plastic breaking either under use on a loco or fitting and removing them from the axle multiple times?

Such a good idea of yours!

Frank

I have fitted the to a RT models Manning Wardle K class but have not finished it as yet but can't see with care in assembly no problems should arise.

I think from memory that the spokes were generally oval but I haven't found a drawing to help with that yet.  Below is an an extract from a Dubs GA drawing showing a section through a  4'-9" driving wheel which may help with the shape of the spokes in the other plane.

Morning Andy,

you are right. The spokes need to be elliptical to minimize the mechanical stress.

Here is a picture of a Bavarian S3/6 wheel. Sorry, I couldn't find a British example...

speichenrad_ro080112d9fcz.jpg

Please note that the dimensions are metric :-)

Michael

• Informative/Useful 1

Here are the 9F wheels with a few mods, The more info I can get the more acurate I can get these wheels.

Stanier and later LMS wheels and those on the BR standards had a very distinctive triangular fillet just inside the wheel rim not present on earlier wheel designs.  This is sometimes called a bevelled rim.   The picture below is a 9F driver.

9F.jpg

Edited by asmay2002

I have been working up my wheel generator even more, it now includes the flare of the spokes in to the hub and adjustable spoke profile.

Very nice too!

I came across this yesterday.

post-25691-0-15667500-1546732724_thumb.jpg

The wheel on the left was printed on my cheapo printer in PLA. I printed it a while back more as an experiment than anything else. At this cruel magnification it's obviously not as crisp as the Romfords but at normal viewing distance it's pretty convincing. PLA is quite tough too (and also inexpensive).

I'll probably try a full set on a locomotive in the future but that might not be for a while.

Andy

My uncle was a wheelwright of the wood kind

from the 1930's and restored old road vehicles

at Goring-On-Thames into the 1970's when his

collection was sold.

Oval spokes, YES, hence the "SPOKE SHAVE."

N

My uncle was a wheelwright of the wood kind

from the 1930's and restored old road vehicles

at Goring-On-Thames into the 1970's when his

collection was sold.

Oval spokes, YES, hence the "SPOKE SHAVE."

N

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have brought a 3D printer and these are the first prints off it so the idea does work. there are two prints on the axle for a Southern E1, the front and rear driver and the centre axle with a larger balance weight.

How much trial and error was needed to get a functional fit to the axle?

The Nim.

8 hours ago, jdb82 said:

They look very good quality. Which 3D printer did you buy?

I got a anycubic proton.

the wheels where the second print so I had the axle hole at 1/8 or 3.18mm and the axle was a perfect fit but I will reduce it slightly to get more of an interference fit. 

It is a bit of a learning curve but a bit easier than I thought it would be.

• Like 1

I continue to follow this topic with considerable interest.  This approach has enormous potential for those of us either designing our own kits or scratch building models for which the correct wheels are unavailable.  

A problem I have experienced with the larger diameter AG wheels at times is that the spokes have sheared when trying to remove the wheel by twisting and pulling after previously installing it on an axle.  Have you had any issues with the materials you have used and which plastics have you tried?

Keep up the good work - please.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I think you may have a market for EM and P4  Peckett wheels if they are 3ft diameter 11 spoke etc for the Hornby Peckett.

I have sold  the first batch of fifty one chassis kits and currently have a waiting list for another fifteen.

Gordon A

35 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

I think you may have a market for EM and P4  Peckett wheels if they are 3ft diameter 11 spoke etc for the Hornby Peckett.

I have sold  the first batch of fifty one chassis kits and currently have a waiting list for another fifteen.

Gordon A

Can you let me know the crack throw and if the pin is in line or between spokes, also did yo need balance weights too?

• 1 month later...