Bemo display Layout

Kevin M

Do note that FO stock has an even narrower pan-head then the RhB. This affects the amount you can deviate the O/H wire from the centre of the track. Best wire up using an FO loco for clearance checking rather then an RhB one :yes:

Thanks, Paul, Kevin and Dutch Master for your collective helpful replies.

I have two Bemo FO tunnel locos 81 and 82 so I can use their pantographs to set the zig zag. Now I know the basic catenary positioning I can see how close I can take the track to the baseboard edge. I will need to allow space inside the baseboard side timbers for the catenary fixing washers and nuts as well as a margin of safety wrt derailed stock falling off the side of the baseboard and the catenary posts being knocked whilst taking down and erecting the baseboards!

Thanks, Paul, Kevin and Dutch Master for your collective helpful replies.

I have two Bemo FO tunnel locos 81 and 82 so I can use their pantographs to set the zig zag. Now I know the basic catenary positioning I can see how close I can take the track to the baseboard edge. I will need to allow space inside the baseboard side timbers for the catenary fixing washers and nuts as well as a margin of safety wrt derailed stock falling off the side of the baseboard and the catenary posts being knocked whilst taking down and erecting the baseboards!

Hi,

I have made a simple template - see photo - to help me position the Sommerfeldt 380 catenary posts and get the pick up wire the right height. It also makes me aware of how much track underlay I can use if I want the bottom of the post to be tight against the baseboard surface.

post-34157-0-83260400-1523539029_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin - running with the pantographs on the wire is easy and looks much better than tied down. Especially when they bob up and down under each mast..

I don't run the catenary in tunnels or in the un-sceniced parts of the layout - I bend the code 100 rail up at the end to force the pantograph back down to the wire (the thing with the red blob on the end - to stop me poking out an eye) .

attachicon.gifIMG_0230.JPG

The mast is a commercial "tunel-oberlietung" from one of the model shops in Basel. It uses code 100 rail upside down - I file a slope in the end that attaches to the wire - you might be able to see it in one of the tunnel photos. attachicon.gifIMG_0233.JPG

Below are some pages from the Sommerfeldt instructions for catenary - PM me if you would like me to send you a scan that you can actually read. They also make a tool that helps you place the masts - but there is also a diagram to help you make one yourself.

attachicon.gifIMG_0234.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0235.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0236.JPG

Are you running any of the other lines as DM says? I can look to see if there is any special instructions for them. Mine is all RhB.

Hi

Looking at the piece of code 100 rail you use to push the pantograph down, how far does the loco travel between the pantograph being fully extended and then down to  pick up wire height please? I looked at a UK layout recently with O/H wire and they lowered theirs over a four inch run as the train left the hidden sidings.

Mine did it over 2-3 inches. The pantograph head tilts which helps as does the relatively slow speed on the NG, I wouldn't like to hit a steep ramp at high speed :)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice. What you say about speed and the angle of attack makes a lot of sense. My loco will be coming straight off the fiddle yard turntable so won't be going very fast at all when it meets the pusher. On the large layout I saw at York at Easter the trains could have picked up a bit of speed by the time they reached their pusher.

On a different tack I have just found that my 4 wheel Bemo RhB gepackwagon bumps across the wing rail/check rail/crossing V when negotiating the curved arm on a Bemo code 70 520mm turnout. I do appreciate it has a long fixed wheelbase but I need to check the back to back of the wheelsets. (As I am taking a break from P4 modelling I thought I'd gotten away from this sort of thing).

Maybe the best fix is to replace the Bemo 520mm turnouts I was proposing to use for one of the station loops with Peco turnouts and use one of the Bemo turnouts in the goods yard instead where stock will be bogie or shorter wheelbase. I saw elsewhere on RM web that Dutch Master recommends Peco over Bemo/Shinohara and Tilling trackwork. I currently have a mix of Peco and Bemo code 70 as it gives more turnout options.

Cheers

John.