Ex- works Y6 paint scheme?

Good afternoon all,

My first posting! I'm about to build a Gauge 3 Y6 kit. I'm wondering what is the best colour for the body if i wish it to look was ex-works. I'm thinking Pression paints Teak, would that be best? Also would the roof have been grey?

Thanks

Simon

Good afternoon all,

My first posting! I'm about to build a Gauge 3 Y6 kit. I'm wondering what is the best colour for the body if i wish it to look was ex-works. I'm thinking Pression paints Teak, would that be best? Also would the roof have been grey?

Thanks

Simon

As you refer to a 'Y6', rather than a G15, I am assuming you are considering the application of fresh LNER livery, however, as the LNER painted the wooden bodies in the same way the GER did originally, that may be academic!

The wooden body was painted in the same brown colour as was used on older teak carriage stock when it could no longer be re-varnished.  It was never  a case of 'varnished teak' with the Trams; brown paint.

Bear in mind that both GE coaches and the wooden bodies of the tram locomotives received crimson paint, c. 1919-1921 IIRC.   The LNER simply painted the bodies brown again, as they did older carriages.  If there is a difference in shade between GE and LNER brown for these purposes, I am unaware of it.  Perhaps someone else can offer more precise information? 

EDIT: I would guess that the roofs might also have been painted in line with the carriages.  if so, white roofs would soon have gone to grey, but you want the ex-work looks.  White seems unlikely for a locomotive, and I believe that the GE often painted coach roofs grey, as well as white, with grey predominating after 1918.  In the absence of firm information, I would probably plump for a light to mid-grey.

Welcome, by the way.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for the reply. It is a G15, but the manufacturer call it a Y6, I'm no expert in this area! I will be modelling it as LNER and I believe the chassis were all black at this point, and it sounds like a grown body would be best, would you have any recommendations on the shade, I think Humbrol timber is too light and some railway browns are two dark,

Thank you for the welcome,

Simon

Many thanks for the reply. It is a G15, but the manufacturer call it a Y6, I'm no expert in this area! I will be modelling it as LNER and I believe the chassis were all black at this point, and it sounds like a grown body would be best, would you have any recommendations on the shade, I think Humbrol timber is too light and some railway browns are two dark,

Thank you for the welcome,

Simon

There are two restored GE 6-Wheelers finished in the "painted teak", i.e what the GE/LNER did once they were too old for just varnishing.  I believe they run on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey line.  There are plenty of pictures of them online. The trouble is, the impression of the brown varies greatly between the photographs; from light to dark, yellowy to reddish!

Alternatively, here is another RMWebber's take on LNER painted coach brown: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/27/entry-14800-lner-ex-ger-6-wheel-composite/

If painting the tram loco in LNER colours, I believe the LNER had different, smaller, number plates, but fixed centrally on the body as the GE plates had been.  The skirts were black, lined red.  The buffer beams were red.

• RMweb Gold

There are two restored GE 6-Wheelers finished in the "painted teak", i.e what the GE/LNER did once they were too old for just varnishing.  I believe they run on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey line.  There are plenty of pictures of them online. The trouble is, the impression of the brown varies greatly between the photographs; from light to dark, yellowy to reddish!

Alternatively, here is another RMWebber's take on LNER painted coach brown: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/27/entry-14800-lner-ex-ger-6-wheel-composite/

If painting the tram loco in LNER colours, I believe the LNER had different, smaller, number plates, but fixed centrally on the body as the GE plates had been.  The skirts were black, lined red.  The buffer beams were red.

Here's one all bulled up for the Stockton & Darlington Centenary parade.

post-14351-0-92131800-1495060927_thumb.jpg

Here's one all bulled up for the Stockton & Darlington Centenary parade.

attachicon.gifGER cl G15 0 4 0T 133 LNER cl Y6 7133 Faverdale 5 7 1925.jpg

Great picture, Phil, and shows the smaller LNER number plate.

Don't knosw if this helps brown colour is a mixture of track colour and sleeper grime with a little dry brushing of mat black

Regards

Terryattachicon.gifY6 68082.jpg

Midas, that is a beautifully rendered model, showing quite how worn and bleached the finish might have become in service.

For an ex-Works locomotive, the brown paint would have had a deeper shade and a varnished finish.

Here are 4 photographs of GE coaches painted, as they would be, once they were too old to maintain a varnished teak finish.  This is how  the GE and the LNER painted the G15s and C53s. 

The coaches pictured in service are those on the Embsay to Bolton Abbey.  As I mentioned above, in one light they look yellower and in another redder.

The same is true to an extent of the other two pictures, which are of an 1863 First Class Smoking carriage on the Middy.  I think this gives a really good indication of how these locomotives would have been painted, very far from the matte, distressed, earth brown shades seen on Midas's model, and that seems to be how they are thought to have looked late in their careers.  

post-25673-0-68947900-1495096811_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-54635700-1495096831.jpg

post-25673-0-78941600-1495096856_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-28337100-1495096891_thumb.jpg

• Like 1