IRM Ballast Wagons

NoelG

Video of IRM Ballast Wagons being transferred to Kingsbridge. Minister of Transport sanctions capital budget for purchase of IRM Ballast Wagons. Loading gauge trials successfully completed after transfer today. :) These Wagons are supremely produced. Well done team IRM. French farm unions question Kingsbridge management for reasons to circumvent EU tendering process. :) Kingsbridge management replied "They are simply the best, we wanted the best, so we got the best."

Newly built B121 consisted with B181 to transfer new rake of IRM Ballast wagons

[video=youtube;l-eToGhfLMU]

• Like 5

Looks good Noel Nice video there. The 121 is coming along nicely!

I got mine the other day as well, a small bit must of come loose in the packet but despite trying to locate where it came from I did not succeed identifying where to reattach it give the wealth of details on the Wagons!

cheers

George

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Noel Nice video there. The 121 is coming along nicely!

I got mine the other day as well, a small bit must of come loose in the packet but despite trying to locate where it came from I did not succeed identifying where to reattach it give the wealth of details on the Wagons!

cheers

George

Hey George!

If you want to send a pic of the loose bit to fran@irishrailwaymodels.com we can identify it for you I'm sure. We've been staring at them non stop for ages! :)

Cheers,

Fran

Some pics of IRM's stunning Ballast Wagons

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

These wagon are simply exquisite with even more detailing becoming apparent as you study them close up. 
IMG_2260.jpg

Recently weathered B141 up front
IMG_2258.jpg

Not sure yet about attempting to weather these beauties.  The ballast load looks like it could possibly be dulled down, but it is actually the correct bright colour for freshly crush hard core stone straight out of the quarry.  I may risk a very light dusting of frame dirt sprayed on the wagons, especially the lower half and axle boxes.
Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

Hey George!

If you want to send a pic of the loose bit to fran@irishrailwaymodels.com we can identify it for you I'm sure. We've been staring at them non stop for ages! :)

Cheers,

Fran

Your grand bud, does not bother me too much, I reckon its from under the ballast load. No hassle ok hassle but ta anyway

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Question:-   Why are the wagons coupled so far apart?.   They could be a lot closer together and still be able to go round tight curves.

A reasonable question and sorry I don't know the answer. Fran (071) from IRM may be able to comment.

I guess in designing models one has to balance absolute reproduction of scale dimensions with prototypical operating appearance. With models obviously one or the other needs slight compromise. From memory the prototypes had 2ft long buffers but in a model form obviously the buffers aren't sprung nor coupled in compression close together, hence separation distances needed for lowest common denominator trackwork expected in the target market. One of the things I like about Bachmann 2 axle stock is the wagons are prototypically very close together even with tension lock couplings which is achieved by having buffers slightly under scale length and shortish couplings. That way wagons are prototypical distances apart. I really like these ballast wagons and plan to replace the tension lock couplings with kadee's which will solve the prototypical gapping in a rake.

Edited by NoelG

I can see the point in the need to have spacing between the buffers to allow for going round curves although with such short wagons the angle between each wagon on any curve is very much smaller than for longer vehicles.   The Bachmann narrower coupler is a big improvement on the huge wide obtrusive original Hornby type, sticking away out.   I imagine the latter was originally to allow wagons to go around very sharp train set curves without buffer locking occurring.  It is now very outdated and should be discontinued, - at least for the modelling vs toy train market!.   My UK & Irish rolling stock has had the couplers replaced with Kadee ones although there still has to be some buffer spacing for curves.   As Kadee's patents have run out you can get plastic knock-offs (McHenry, Ezee Mate etc.) and I believe that Dapol has also come out with their own version.

Are those ballast wagons still available?.

I can see the point in the need to have spacing between the buffers to allow for going round curves although with such short wagons the angle between each wagon on any curve is very much smaller than for longer vehicles.   The Bachmann narrower coupler is a big improvement on the huge wide obtrusive original Hornby type, sticking away out.   I imagine the latter was originally to allow wagons to go around very sharp train set curves without buffer locking occurring.  It is now very outdated and should be discontinued, - at least for the modelling vs toy train market!.   My UK & Irish rolling stock has had the couplers replaced with Kadee ones although there still has to be some buffer spacing for curves.   As Kadee's patents have run out you can get plastic knock-offs (McHenry, Ezee Mate etc.) and I believe that Dapol has also come out with their own version.

Are those ballast wagons still available?.

Interesting about kadee patent. Thanks for heads up. Yes as far as I know some ballast wagons are available: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/index.php/shop/

• RMweb Gold

Question:-   Why are the wagons coupled so far apart?.   They could be a lot closer together and still be able to go round tight curves. 

Sorry, fletchj1, I only saw this query now. 

We wanted to have total fidelity to the prototype under the wagon as well as on top, so we were unable to place the NEM pockets elsewhere. We also had a beam running where the coupling would normally go at one end, so we had to use a cranked tension lock coupling, which pushed things a little bit further apart.

post-7114-0-97993400-1507555115_thumb.jpg

We're hamstrung somewhat with tension locks being the proprietary coupling system in Irish outline RTR models, but we have also seen some modellers using the prototypical instanter hook above the pocket with scale three links to couple the trains successfully, as well as Kadees etc. We have a blog post on kadees with our wagons here

We are also looking into designing our own close coupling system going forward and are currently kicking around a few ideas and designs (we totally agree with you re tension lock couplings, they need to be banished!)

To answer your other query; yes, there are still packs of ballast wagons available, but stock is starting to run quite low. You can also order them from our site. We are unlikely to do a re-run of them again for a number of years so we recommend ordering from this batch to avoid disappointment. 

We are also happy to answer any further queries at info@irishrailwaymodels.com too. :)

Edited by 071

Thanks for info. on couplers.

I don't know if any of the Kadee ones made to fit the NEM socket would be of any use.   Nos. 17, 18, 19 etc.    They come with various shank lengths and heights (offsets).

I have used the NO.7 one very satisfactorily on Bachmann UK wagons.   There are also lots of plastic 'knock-offs' of the Kadee.   I think Dapol makes some.   Some might fit. 

I could visualise you making a reversible dummy coupler/drawbar to join your bubbles & ballast wagons.   It could be reversible to suit the high or low NEM sockets.

I have a question:-   Is it likely that you will ever be selling single wagons in the future?. 

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for info. on couplers.

I don't know if any of the Kadee ones made to fit the NEM socket would be of any use.   Nos. 17, 18, 19 etc.    They come with various shank lengths and heights (offsets).

I have used the NO.7 one very satisfactorily on Bachmann UK wagons.   There are also lots of plastic 'knock-offs' of the Kadee.   I think Dapol makes some.   Some might fit. 

I could visualise you making a reversible dummy coupler/drawbar to join your bubbles & ballast wagons.   It could be reversible to suit the high or low NEM sockets.

I have a question:-   Is it likely that you will ever be selling single wagons in the future?. 

Regards.

Thanks fletchj1.

I'm afraid it is not likely that we will be selling single wagons in the future and a run of these ballast hoppers will not be repeated for at least the next five years, with the current identities offered not to be offered again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-7114-0-68175400-1508946440_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

As you know we like to do some special offers for the Dublin show each year. This year is no different! We will be offering unbeatable discounts on ballast wagons as well as a very special offer for the item we're launching at the show on Saturday. These deals will be for this weekend only, both at the show and online, from Saturday Morning until Monday evening (Oct 30th, 2017)

Buy any two ballast packs for €220, saving €20!

Buy a rake of ballast wagons (1 Pack A, 1 Pack B and 1 Pack C) for €310, saving €50!

Project 4 is of course, a wagon. Sold in packs of three like our bubbles and ballasts. It will cost €125 per pack.

Buy two packs of project 4 for €225, saving €25!

Buy a rake of wagons (four packs) of project 4 for €425, saving €75!

Remember folks, this weekend only. Will not be repeated. Cannot be mixed with other wagons.  To paraphrase that well known home-ware store "Once They're Gone, They're Gone!" The ballasts very nearly are, so don't miss out. We also will not be revealing what project 4 is until Saturday morning, not even via PM! We will put up pictures on here and Facebook so those who cannot make the show do not miss out. 

We will have a deco sample of project four, it's crude, without detail and we are not happy with the colour. It will be available to order from us online and at the show. 

Thanks,

Fran

(on behalf of IRM!) 

Edited by 071
  • Like 1