BRM June '17 + extra interactive features

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

If you thought the new-look BRM May Interactive Digital Edition was good, just wait until you see the June issue which is available to download now! It takes our Digital Interactivity to a new level. On top of what is already a great issue, we have:

• FREE issue of Traction magazine
  • FIVE additional videos totalling an extra 1 hour 23 minutes
  • BRM TV DVD footage included
  • FOUR audio clips by Andy York
  • TWO 360 degree product videos
  • A mass of extra layout images

Our new interactive Digital Editions really do take magazines to a new level. This is definitely the month to take a look. Download it now.

post-14186-0-68294900-1495100968_thumb.jpg

The print version goes into UK shops on Thursday, May 25. You can buy a copy in advance here.

Here's what to expect.

ON YOUR FREE DVD

Watch... Vale of Oxbury (N) in action

See us... weather diecast vehicles

We test... the ultimate in DCC Sound

LAYOUTS
Vale of Oxbury (N) - A day out in the Oxfordshire countryside is perfectly captured in this mid-60s scene.
Vopak Terminal - Paul Rolley's chemical works masterpiece
Woodlands Brewery (O) - As a graphic designer, David Carr already has a great eye for detail.
Rumbling Bridge (OO) - Aptly named, this Scottish-themed layout has been a long time coming.
Rolleston On Dove (EM) - This community-spirited diorama was built to mark one hundred years of a Staffordshire village railway station.

PRACTICAL BRM
Painting laser-cut brickwork - His usual techniques don't work, but Phil Parker finds a workaround for painting laser-cut bricks.
A wagon-load of beer barrels - Phil Parker's fondness for a brew  is only outshone by his appetite for modelling. Here, he manages to combine both.
Improve a DJModels Hunslet - Michael Russell takes up the challenge of enhancing the details of this colourful shunter.
Andy builds a card kit - Our modelling novice Editor gets to grips with an engine shed kit. But how did he get on?
Modelling urban buildings - Grahame Hedges shares several useful techniques for creating vibrant cityscapes.
Make a coal yard - Michael Russell creates a filthy but commonplace steam age scenario.
Creating a back-scene - Photo-realistic backdrops are not as difficult as you think, says Andy York.

NEW & REVIEWS
News, this month we look at Revolution's Class B Tanker. Rapido's mystery bus. Minerva's Pannier Tank among other items of loco-related interest.
New Models - We have a new Farish Castle, a weathered OO Gauge Cycle Van from TMC and a Salt Van from Bachmann.
Lead Review - Howard casts a critical eye over the new Class 45 from Heljan. 
New Books - Reading matter to improve your grey matter, with books about railway guns, tin-plate toy trains, authentic railway operations, and more.

post-14186-0-39526900-1495100982_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3

Tried to order a print copy in advance but it wanted me to register and provide and complete loads of details despite wanting to pay by PayPal which automatically supplies the delivery address and necessary information. There doesn't seem to be a way to jump directly to PayPal payment (that many other sites offer). I gave up in the end and will wait until it's available in the shops.

G.

• Administrators

Tried to order a print copy in advance but it wanted me to register and provide and complete loads of details despite wanting to pay by PayPal which automatically supplies the delivery address and necessary information. There doesn't seem to be a way to jump directly to PayPal payment (that many other sites offer). I gave up in the end and will wait until it's available in the shops.

G.

Hi Grahame. By creating an account once, it means any future purchases from the site are dead simple and quick. Unfortunately our website doesn't 'talk' to Paypal adequately and we need the relevant information to be able to send your Email Newsletters (should you decide to 'opt in'). It's a very straightforward process. 

Hi Grahame. By creating an account once, it means any future purchases from the site are dead simple and quick. Unfortunately our website doesn't 'talk' to Paypal adequately and we need the relevant information to be able to send your Email Newsletters (should you decide to 'opt in'). It's a very straightforward process. 

But it's even quicker and simpler using PayPal - perhaps the interface needs upgrading to 'talk' more adequately. Other retailers/websites don't seem to have that problem.

G.

• Like 1

I am really impressed with this digital issue. BRM has really taken advantage of the medium and the interactive features are great. Added to that two very good N gauge articles and a very well put together issue in general, I think I might have to subscribe.

• Like 2

Out of interest, do print subscribers get the free issue of Traction - if so which issue please?

It's the current May/Jun issue of Traction. It's a digital offer, due to costs. Previously we have had BRM + Traction as print only offers.

• RMweb Gold

It's the current May/Jun issue of Traction. It's a digital offer, due to costs. Previously we have had BRM + Traction as print only offers.

Thanks Andy - I have literally just subscribed to Traction to start with the next issue so didn't want a duplicate :)

BRM and Traction subs, hopefully there's a Warner's loyalty scheme  ;)

• Like 1

My print copy of this issue arrived this morning.  One thing I noticed at once is the inconsistent treatment of authors' names, with those belonging to the builders of layouts being relegated to the small print of the Factfile box despite the importance attached to their creations.  The "Interview" feature does not even get that and it is a bit much to read  "... I  snapped a few details ..." without knowing who "I" is.  Surely a more even handed approach is required here.  For all I know someone has a box set of "The Prisoner" waiting for a rainy day and before we know it all contributors will be mere numbers!

On the credit side, the wonderful Vopak comes across much better than it did recently in a rival publication despite the need for a magnifying glass to read the credits. 

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My print copy of this issue arrived this morning.  One thing I noticed at once is the inconsistent treatment of authors' names, with those belonging to the builders of layouts being relegated to the small print of the Factfile box despite the importance attached to their creations.  The "Interview" feature does not even get that and it is a bit much to read  "... I  snapped a few details ..." without knowing who "I" is.  Surely a more even handed approach is required here.  For all I know someone has a box set of "The Prisoner" waiting for a rainy day and before we know it all contributors will be mere numbers!

Hmmm ... post #10 ... which makes me wonder if this comment might have been even more appropriate if it had come 3 posts earlier.

Still, what do I know? After all, it's not as if I've ever visited Portmeirion ... .

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

My DVD has developed a problem where it stops after a few minutes. There are some marks/scratches on the disk, but even thought I've tried to clean them up it doesnt seem to improve it. Who do I contact to get a replacement disk?

• RMweb Gold

My print copy of this issue arrived this morning.  One thing I noticed at once is the inconsistent treatment of authors' names, with those belonging to the builders of layouts being relegated to the small print of the Factfile box despite the importance attached to their creations.  The "Interview" feature does not even get that and it is a bit much to read  "... I  snapped a few details ..." without knowing who "I" is.  Surely a more even handed approach is required here. 

Having opened my print copy now I agree, I don't at all like the lack of the author's name at the top of the article, having to search in the small print in the factfile box.

And I really, really hate the yellow clipart font used used in the dark green boxes. Looks cheap, and completely jars with the rest of the page and 'proper' fonts used in the articles. Why spend so much time taking amazing photos then allow that mess on the page? Ruins the visual impact of the Heaton Lodge spread for example.

Articles are still good as is photography, but the editorial was too chatty for me. Feels like people are trying a bit too hard to change things - the basic never change. Needs to be visually coherent and we want to know who wrote the articles at the outset.

My DVD has developed a problem where it stops after a few minutes. There are some marks/scratches on the disk, but even thought I've tried to clean them up it doesnt seem to improve it. Who do I contact to get a replacement disk?

Drop me a PM with your address and we'll get you sorted out.

I picked a copy of the June issue today. I am a semi regular reading and I am enjoying the current set up. I do like the way the text is kept away from the pictures and do not overlay them. I had no problem with the coloured text boxes referred to in an earlier post. This issue was helped by featuring two layouts I have enjoyed on the show circuit - namely "Rumbling Bridge" and "Rolleston on Dove". It was nice that our exhibition got name checked in the Rolleston article.

I noticed reference in the editorial to mistakes in previous editions and a vow to improve. In the same editorial there was reference to a feature on Phil Parker's Melbridge Box Company layout. I can't find this in the magazine. Have I misinterpreted the comments in the editorial, or is this another error? I also found the omission of the author's names a little irritating - although in one case I was well aware of who the author was!

Still - it was a very enjoyable issue.

The creative team at BRM are doing a great job of combining the traditional values of a model railway magazine with the possibilities offered by a digital version. Good value for money too - loving it!

• RMweb Premium

I picked a copy of the June issue today. I am a semi regular reading and I am enjoying the current set up. I do like the way the text is kept away from the pictures and do not overlay them. I had no problem with the coloured text boxes referred to in an earlier post. This issue was helped by featuring two layouts I have enjoyed on the show circuit - namely "Rumbling Bridge" and "Rolleston on Dove". It was nice that our exhibition got name checked in the Rolleston article.

I noticed reference in the editorial to mistakes in previous editions and a vow to improve. In the same editorial there was reference to a feature on Phil Parker's Melbridge Box Company layout. I can't find this in the magazine. Have I misinterpreted the comments in the editorial, or is this another error? I also found the omission of the author's names a little irritating - although in one case I was well aware of who the author was!

Still - it was a very enjoyable issue.

Phi'ls Melbridge Box company layout is featured on pages of 36-39. Its a good article. Even though I have read about the layout before I always feel inspired by stuff like this.

Owen

Phi'ls Melbridge Box company layout is featured on pages of 36-39. Its a good article. Even though I have read about the layout before I always feel inspired by stuff like this.

Owen

On page 36-37 there is a description showing how to construct a free work station with pages 38-39 contain an advert for BRM subscriptions and how to get the said work station kit. No sign of any layout!

• Administrators

There are two versions of the magazine - Subscribers get the Melbridge Box Company. Non-subscribers get an article by me showing how to assemble the subs-offer workstation.

Some of us had to buy the non-subs version so we have a complete set of magazines!

Not sure if we can do the Box Company article in a future issue for those who missed it. I'll have a chat with the office and see what we can do.

• RMweb Gold

There are two versions of the magazine - Subscribers get the Melbridge Box Company. Non-subscribers get an article by me showing how to assemble the subs-offer workstation.

Some of us had to buy the non-subs version so we have a complete set of magazines!

Not sure if we can do the Box Company article in a future issue for those who missed it. I'll have a chat with the office and see what we can do.

"Go on. You know you want to … ."

Seriously though, I don't see any logic in having a layout article only in a magazine edition which only subscribers can see - and an article about something which only new subscribers can get in the "non subs" edition.

This move is likely to win few new friends for the magazine - and risks alienating existing readers. Hopefully not again, please.

Anyway, some people might wonder if another opportunity might be being missed here - a "how to" article about using a laser cut wooden box as the basis for a microlayout.

Of course, if such an article were to appear in a new, unified, "all readers" edition, it would be interesting to see the subscribers / non subscribers split of any layouts built in response.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

That would explain why I was confused about folk complaining about the work station!

• Administrators

Seriously though, I don't see any logic in having a layout article only in a magazine edition which only subscribers can see - and an article about something which only new subscribers can get in the "non subs" edition.

This move is likely to win few new friends for the magazine - and risks alienating existing readers. Hopefully not again, please.

It's simple - the workbench isn't a retail item from BRM, it's only available to new subscribers. Anyone who already has a subscription doesn't want to read pages on putting something together that they can't buy. (Grainge & Hodder who make this for us do sell an A3 version but not A4).

Therefore, we fill those pages in the subscribers copy with an extra layout. See it as a subscriber benefit.

• RMweb Premium

While I understand what having subscriber and non-subscriber issues is trying to achieve, in this case I don't agree with it. Both the boxfile layout and the workbench are of interest to me. A subscriber only offer such as £10 off the workbench and both sets of drawers, would have given benefits to those of us that subscribe (and increased sales for the workbench manufacturer). Everybody wins.

• RMweb Gold

It's simple - the workbench isn't a retail item from BRM, it's only available to new subscribers. Anyone who already has a subscription doesn't want to read pages on putting something together that they can't buy. (Grainge & Hodder who make this for us do sell an A3 version but not A4).

Therefore, we fill those pages in the subscribers copy with an extra layout. See it as a subscriber benefit.

Fair comment.

However, some of us regular readers are never likely to take out a subscription - for example, people like me, who'd quite like to see local independent newsagents and model shops stay in business.

Although I can't speak for other people, I know that I don't particularly wish to read pages on putting something together that I can't buy.

Nothing personal, you understand.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I quite enjoyed the remainder of this month's retail magazine.

I also look forward to Garden Rail - and Engineering in Miniature - under your editorship.

Regards,

Huw.