Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

Hi Guys,

Here are some progress snaps of Tynebank, I apologise for the quality, will do better next time.

The concept is a modification to South Shields, giving the carriage sidings access to the harton System and also a riverside branch to serve various industries.

post-6265-0-11863200-1495455099.jpg  No 15 takes empties from High Harton Staithes.

post-6265-0-17920700-1495455232.jpg Waiting for the peg

post-6265-0-46266500-1495455259.jpg J77 on pilot duty

post-6265-0-43096900-1495455291.jpg The shape of things to come

Cheers Ian B

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 4

Design & Operation;

They space available to me is only 7' length, and fitting an urban layout into this is a challenge!

My criteria were also challenging,, the main one being that it must support the running of the actual working timetable, plus exchange traffic to a riverside line and the NCB Harton system.

In a small space I think operation is key, I have built many Bimbo Layouts in the past, nice to look at but little long term interest, as Tynebank  will probably be my final layout I wanted to have something to keep the interest going.

My starting point was with a WTT albeit slightly earlier than my chosen time, I intended to modify this to my needs and then design a track plan around it.  To make the WTT more 'user friendly' I transcribed it into Excel to allow ease of editing. I also used the 24 hour clock, this was really for my own convenience as I am more used to this. I have attached my transcript of the WTT 

Eventually! So here is the WTT from 0300 until 1800 for a week day.

As to be expected there are a lot of passenger workings, which is to be understood for a busy suburban terminus running services to both Newcastle and Sunderland.

Next task; I wanted to have passenger services that connected South Shields wider destinations i.e. Kings X, Liverpool and Manchester, I thought I would use the Express passenger slots for these.

Also as there was to be exchange traffic with the Harton System, provision for Mineral Leading would be required. In practice Mineral leading wasn't timetabled and ran as required slotted in around existing traffic flows. The Hatron System did receive coal from 'outside' as sometimes its pits couldn't meet demand, so pathways for these needed to be identified. To add some variety I made up three daily scenarios, basically whether a collier needed to be loaded, or one of the pits could not supply the required amount of coal etc.

Traffic is also run to a riverside branch, I used the ideas put forward by Dave Bradwell, in that I identified which industries would receive rail traffic, and based train make up this.

Compromises would have to be made, the primary one being train length and also trip working would be received already in destination order, so individual wagon shunting could be avoided.

In addition to the above, full signalling and interlocking was a given as is block working with block instruments.

That's the easy bit, now to design the track plan! (All in a 5' scenic length).

Track Plan to follow

Cheers for nowOverview TT.xlsx

post-6265-0-97726400-1495528562_thumb.jpg

Here is what I came up with.

Basically, passenger trains run from platform 1 to the main reception and await road to platform 2. these are, either EMU for the Newcastle service or DMU for the Sunderland service. The same concept is used for locos coming off other trains.

Freight is propelled (sans Brake Van) to the main reception the pilot will take this to the Riverside, the same principle works for mineral traffic to the Harton System.

At the back I have added some lines to to the staiths, these are inclined appropriately to allow gravity operation (using a motorised 20 ton hopper).

Next step, recheck the adapted WTT will actually work, and double check train lengths before drawing up full size.

Comments welcomed ( I have a thick skin!!)

Cheers

Ian B

Speaking from Manchester, don't feel bad. We keep going, that way the b******s don't win!!!

Nice layout, very atmospheric!

Chris.

• Like 1

post-6265-0-79939700-1495788729_thumb.jpg After to O1's were replaced by the 9Fs on the iron ore runs to Consett, they were used on general freight duties until their withdrawals.

This is the Hornby model with Dave Alexander additions. It still needs a spray, but as I have to do this outdoors, I'll have to wait for some decent weather.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Funsters,

Well, first trains ran this p.m. now on to electrical interlocking, which will be interesting, hoping to use the polarity switches on the turnout motors, to open/close signal servo circuits, any one done anything similar?

I am on a mission to get this layout completed and so a plea for help; I want to model Argyle Street Signal Cabin (Manors/Trafalgar Yard) I have numerous 1/4 3/4 snaps, but nothing full square, can any one direct me toward such a thing? Also for those of you familiar with the building, it appeared to have some sort of screens in front of the locking room, I'm guess this was due to the proximity of the running line, does any one know?

Once again thanks for your help

Ian B

post-6265-0-43057200-1496819858_thumb.jpg

Making progress with the wiring, The turnout motors are now in place and I have a representation of FPL by putting a switch in the operating circuit, so this has to be closed before the turnout will switch. Next on the list is wiring in the electro-magnet uncouplers.

Although I really want to use 3 links this will not be practical for me, so I am using Sprat & Winkle, however, as there is no 'loose shunting' these are only fitted at the each end of the cuts of wagons, within the cut 3 links will be fitted.

I'm not going to put the signals in until last, these have been built and are a mixture of UQ and LQ. I purchased a Mega Points unit to operate the servos for these, previously I used a GF electronics unit, which I found to be excellent, I choose the Mega Point unit because these can operate up to 12 servos. I have a smoothed d.c. supply for these, so we will see what happens. I truth, I am not looking forward to the installation of the signals, as I will find connecting the operating linkage to the servos difficult. I have Parkinson Plus symptoms, and the resulting tremor makes such things a challenge!

Cheers for now

Ian

Hi Funsters,

Well, first trains ran this p.m. now on to electrical interlocking, which will be interesting, hoping to use the polarity switches on the turnout motors, to open/close signal servo circuits, any one done anything similar?

I am on a mission to get this layout completed and so a plea for help; I want to model Argyle Street Signal Cabin (Manors/Trafalgar Yard) I have numerous 1/4 3/4 snaps, but nothing full square, can any one direct me toward such a thing? Also for those of you familiar with the building, it appeared to have some sort of screens in front of the locking room, I'm guess this was due to the proximity of the running line, does any one know?

Once again thanks for your help

Ian B

I would have suggested Ernie Brack's site, but only the Irish albums, and a few bits of narrow gauge seem to be there at present; does anyone know where the other bits have got to?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-6265-0-43740100-1502178524_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-43774400-1502178574_thumb.jpg

Some progress over the 'summer'. The cabin was inspired by the one at Argyll Street near Manors, it is half a N4 cabin, which I guess makes it an N2 (ha ha). I just need the ladder and a few bits 'n' pieces to finish it, then I can complete the turnout rodding runs. Still heaps to do!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Nothing more south of the river than Wrights Biscuits !

Excellent work Ian, can you regale how you did it ?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I bought the appropriate Scalescenes brick, scanned it into Publisher and created a text box. I copied the advert in and adjusted the transparency until the brickwork showed through. I am making some progress with the model but it's very slow. I'm looking forward to seeing how you are doing, I envy you your space.

Cheers

Ian B