Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

Actually, this is what has been taking up my time, I know vacuum braked had all gone from the inner suburban routes by then and I never saw any Q1's around Depford. but hey-ho, it's only a game, I promise no more Sarf London shots on this topic!

Cheers Guys  

Sgal1.JPG

sgal2.JPG

• Like 7

Early Morning Delivery. ES1 has been towed from Borough Gardens for a days work moving freight back and forwards to the Riverside Branch.

The role of the Drewry and ES1 will be reversed, as the ES1 will tow the Drewry down to the Riverside where it will act as the pilot. At the end of the working day the Drewry will take ES1 back to Borough Gardens. In my distorted world the N.E.R have 3 ES1's two on  North Tyneside  and one on the South Shields riverside Branch.

ES12.JPG

ES11.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 months later...
On 13/02/2019 at 18:56, Ian Blenk said:

Checking clearances before I fit the o'head

IMG_2288.JPG

Takes me back to Hilda's hole  (II)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Industrial-Railway-Slide-Electric-Loco-No-4-NCB-Harton-1965-4-911-/163773535180?nma=true&si=yp4%2FBiabp9cYk4LGoLnVWB2Ejt8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Seriously however, I suppose the Met Cam cars may have subbed for the Eastleigh unit when it was in the shops.

I've seen a few photographs of the Met Cam sets running on the south shores.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I spent far too much time as a nipper in Railway & Garwood Streets  (before they were demolished and the railways scraped away.)

Why? . . . .Was that where Hilda lived?

John

4 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I've seen a few photographs of the Met Cam sets running on the south shores.

Hi Paul,

There is something you could help me with please.

I am building a small (I hate the term 'Cameo') layout 'Tarnhouse Fell'. It has a self acting incline on it. I have read and re-read Mountford's books plus other sources.

Would this be generally correct; starting at the Bank Head, three rail then meetings, thence single track down to Bank Foot? Did all/most N.E. Bank Foot (Feet) have kips and dishes, I'm not sure that Seaham did. I have motorised a 20 tonner to look as if it is cable hauled etc.

I don't think it is any secret that I have a Parkinson type illness and am racing to get my models finished while I am still able.

Many Thanks

Ian B

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2019 at 15:31, Porcy Mane said:

Everyone knew Hilda.

568713737_HildasHoleReadheads.jpg.78164e9cdaecad725aa6830d9d01debb.jpg

I spent far too much time as a nipper in Railway & Garwood Streets  (before they were demolished and the railways scraped away.)

I also spent a lot of time at the neck of the yard, graduating to sponging lifts on 13......happy days.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2019 at 20:38, Ian Blenk said:

Hi Paul,

There is something you could help me with please.

Ian,

apologies for the slow reply. It's been a bit too hot to sit in front of the PC for any length of time. It's currently 35° in the railway room where the PC's reside even with the air mover going full tilt.

I'll get back to you once it's cooled down a bit

• Thanks 1

On 22/07/2019 at 14:54, Ian Blenk said:

Lost

DSC00409.JPG

Is that parcels van a new acquisition?

(two I were watching on eBay last week were snapped up for a fair, but substantial, price - was curious if this was one of them)

Cheers

Scott

3 hours ago, jukebox said:

Is that parcels van a new acquisition?

(two I were watching on eBay last week were snapped up for a fair, but substantial, price - was curious if this was one of them)

Cheers

Scott

Yes, I am ashamed to say I bought a completed kit. In truth I don't know why, I have no real use for it other than remembering the two originals. 

I do have an unstarted kit which I had plans a while ago to convert to E29166E. I can't see this happening now!  For your info the parcels van is back in its box and in the stock cupboard. No doubt it will stay there, with all my other rash purchases!!

Cheers

IB

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Yes, I am ashamed to say I bought a completed kit. In truth I don't know why, I have no real use for it other than remembering the two originals. 

I do have an unstarted kit which I had plans a while ago to convert to E29166E. I can't see this happening now!  For your info the parcels van is back in its box and in the stock cupboard. No doubt it will stay there, with all my other rash purchases!!

Cheers

IB

Congratulations!

If you ever decide to part with the unmade kit, please contact me, as I am on the hunt for one.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, tom shaw said:

New Plan? Is this a new model? I was loving the the old one!

I am busy modifying the clearances on one of the bridges, it is a couple of mm too low for the ES1.

Next step is to debug the timetable, there are a few conflicting moves which don't really become apparent until you run trains.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

Operation.

The concept of Tynebank and my previous layout Marine Park, is that the line to South Shields has been extended to Sunderland following the coast to Sunderland with stations at Marine Park, Marsden Bay, Whitburn and Roker Sands.

Tynebank is essentially an exchange yard for mineral traffic to the Stanhope and Tyne drops and a Riverside branch. It also allows for overflow traffic from South Shields carriage sidings.

The main key was to maximise operation on what is really quite a simple track formation and provide a busy environment to maintain interest for the operators, of which there should ideally be two; a dispatcher/driver and a signaller. Basically, the driver follows the sequence and the moves are governed by the signals. Bell codes are provided for communication between the driver and signaller and there is some basic interlocking.

Rather than have the sequence on paper for the operators I wanted some form of electronic display based on Microsoft Office programs. On Marine Park I simply used a power point display, but this is limiting and tedious to update, using an Excel spreadsheet is fine but the display is not ‘user friendly’ although a form can be produced from the spreadsheet this cannot be easily modified to provide a reasonable format.

Display is via a laptop and a slave screen (I used a car reversing screen) the signaller moves the display forward as required after each move is completed.

This is what I did;

·         Set up the details needed on Excel, they can be easily and quickly added to/modified.

·         Link this to an Access data base.

·         Use the form tool on access to provide a display for the operators (this can be customised to meet requirements).

·         The class of the train i.e. A, B, C etc. has available locos allocated to it.

·         Using the random facility on excel the number of one of these locos is displayed on the form.

·         The dispatcher/driver ensures that this loco is used on the train.

·         There are three different sequences to allow for different mineral leading situations.

I am currently trialling this, but it seems to hold some promise.

The Excel sheet where the sequence is entered and the access database

Tynebank Trial_1.jpg

Tynebank_1.jpg

Tynebank_2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I like the use of 'random' to chose which locos to use!  I tried to do that when I drew up my sequence for "Finsbury Square" but couldn't work out how to do it, using the Apple "Numbers" program rather than Excel.

• Like 1