Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2020 at 09:25, Ian Blenk said:

Thanks Tom & Neil.

Looking forward to seeing some progress photos of South Shields Victoria and Neil, the Forest of Dean in 7mm!

Had heart surgery in Oct. and am feeling much better. .

Compliments of the season to you both

Ian B

Thanks Ian, I'm so pleased your feeling well.

You've shamed me into sharing some progress on my layout.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all. Let's hope next year is better than this one.

Tom

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a fun day going through the WTT on Tynebank and debugging bits and pieces. Not so happy with the performance of the ES1 which although is well ballasted has very little haulage ability. The Harton No15 needed some maintenance and No 2 deputised for it. In fact I preferred this as it gives room for an extra wagon. The TT is far too intensive for me to run, especially having to wield cassettes about all the time, think I will have three diff. TT of about 30 mins playtime each. Less hassle! Shame no-one can come round and help out!

Thanks for your interest.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

J77 68427 is relief loco on the Riverside branch whilst the ES1 is on the workbench. It is an Owen Lancaster kit, probably the best whitemetal kits produced. Under the bonnet it has a mashima plus flywheel and a fully sprung chassis. Not really needed in 00, but fun to do back in the day, runs very well. The naughty ES1 is having its Black Beetles removed and I am replacing them with Tenshodo bogies, which by happy chance I have in stock. The Harton EE may go down the same path as i am not too happy with it's running. I know spuds can be lively, but needs must etc.

DSC00727 (2).JPG

• Like 15

4 hours ago, long island jack said:

I've got my passport stamped, permit to leave the house of SWMBO, just waiting till it's all safe!!!!!!!

Ian, hope your keeping well and safe 

Hi Ray, good to hear from you, all well here hope you both are well. Looking forward to when we can all get together & play trains!

Edited by Ian Blenk

On 16/01/2021 at 16:38, Ian Blenk said:

K3  61987 with freight for transfer to the Riverside waits the departure of 539 which has come off the York train, it will run light to Gateshead

IMG_3645 (2).JPG

Ian,

This is a fantastic photo. It was only when I zoomed in on the image did I appreciate it was the models.  Keep them coming.

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

Great photos. The black and white really capture the North East atmosphere.

The 0-4-0 tank reminds me of this photo I took of a NCB 0-4-0 at Crofton Mill Pit sidings, Blyth 1967.

Crotfon Pit 1967.jpg

I remember this, my grandfather knew the driver and used to take me down when I was small would be early 60's I think. In truth I don't know if this was the loco. We went to what I know know were the exchange sidings

• Like 1

Carcass  for Harton No.1 taking shape, No. 2 for comparison  Duties will be taking wagons to and from Hilda Sidings and Tynebank, a bit more prototypical than No.14.

Having a crack at No.3 next, 4' 9'' wheel base bogies maybe a challenge. I reckon I could get a horizontal mini miser on one of the inner axles and make the motorised bogie fixed. Wot larks.

IMG_3659.JPG

Edited by Ian Blenk
Bad Speeling
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

What did you use for a drawing of No1? Don't forget if you need another ex Sunderland tram pantograph they are available separately.

Hi Mike, no stash of Siemen's drawings tucked away I'm afraid. I used Monk-Steels outline in Hatcher's book plus the table of dimensions therein. I'm guessing it's close enough, certainly for my purposes. I also had some measurements from No.2 which I took at Beamish. Thanks for the heads up about the pantographs, I have a couple which have been in the cupboard for a few years now! One thing you may be able to help me with is sourcing the correct buffer pattern? Many Thanks hope all is well with you both

IB

1 hour ago, tom shaw said:

No. 1 is looking good, as for a bogie have a look at this site:

https://www.locosnstuff.com/Motor-Bogie-and-Chassis-kits.php

Wheelbase down to 16mm but using an 'O' ring transmission. I've not used them so can't comment but I think I'll try a couple for my Harton Bo-Bo.

Tom

Thanks Tom, well who knew that was out there! i wonder if I send him a 4mm diagram if he can do something to fit. Hope your model is going well, loved the station building and looking forward to updates. When all this is  over come visit, we can play trains! 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tom shaw said:

No. 1 is looking good, as for a bogie have a look at this site:

https://www.locosnstuff.com/Motor-Bogie-and-Chassis-kits.php

Wheelbase down to 16mm but using an 'O' ring transmission. I've not used them so can't comment but I think I'll try a couple for my Harton Bo-Bo.

Tom

They look very interesting, let us know how you get on.

31 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

7 and 8 are likely to be the next Harton subject in our kit range. I don't want to discourage you from scratchbuilding but thought you might like to know....

If you're feeling really ambitious have a go at No.9.

Thanks for that! I shall look forward to being one of the first purchasers. No9 is way beyond my capabilities, but having said that......

Got the buffers today, cheers!