Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Dave Haswell (Engine Shed)

cromptonnut

I have heard that Dave had a heart attack.

The funeral was yesterday.

I did not like to just turn up and I have not got a number for his wife.

I personally will miss Dave as he was always a pleasant happy chappie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

He came up in a conversation Clive Mortimore hand I were having today - very sad news, we had no idea he'd passed away.

RIP Dave.

Edited by Colin

I am both shocked, and so very sorry to hear of Dave's passing, and while only in middle age, I think he was slightly younger than me? I knew Dave through the shop, and at various exhibitions, including the local Leytonstone shows he helped to organize, and via the local P4 group, he was always a decent chap, with a cheery outlook. I remember numerous trips to his Engine Shed shop, it could take an hour to battle through the traffic from North London, but it was worth it to stock up on essential supplies and useful detail parts (that many other shops had stopped bothering to stock).

In later years, parking became a problem (it was usually quicker by tube and short walk), so Dave threw open the patron's car park, which consisted of a long narrow cobbled alleyway around the back, past the rear of various eating outlets, you could easily block-in three other customers, or get blocked-in yourself by the kebab van. I remember once reporting to Dave, that someone had dumped an old wreck in his back yard, until a customer piped up, saying "That's my car, if you don't mind"! Much laughter followed.  Happy days.

Thanks Dave, for all your help over the years.

Brian Kirby. 

Edited by Brian Kirby

• 1 year later...

Just found this. Very sad to hear, I visited the shop on a few occasions when on one of my infrequent trips to London. After my first visit, I never planned on anything particular, but went there in the knowledge that I would come away with something interesting or unusual.