This is going to be a truly awesome build Peter.

What intrigued me was the stove pipe being located at the FRONT of the building but, as they say, and here's proof, that their's a prototype for everything.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

The stairs are very tricky to get right. I tried all sorts to get them even and true. Not so easy when there are 3 axis to get straight across as a diagonal slope!

How does anyone else do stairs on a scratchbuilt box? Allan - you're the signal box legend, yours always look awesome, how is it done so neatly?

I had to resort to building a rig from styrene strips that had to be cut away afterwards. Not bad results but took a whole evening to get right.post-21051-0-14939200-1495669418_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-97130000-1495669430_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-56723400-1495669442_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-63748700-1495669881_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The stairs are very tricky to get right. I tried all sorts to get them even and true. Not so easy when there are 3 axis to get straight across as a diagonal slope!

How does anyone else do stairs on a scratchbuilt box? Allan - you're the signal box legend, yours always look awesome, how is it done so neatly?

I had to resort to building a rig from styrene strips that had to be cut away afterwards. Not bad results but took a whole evening to get right.attachicon.gifIMG_2934.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2935.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2936.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2938.JPG

Simple, mate. Cheat.

Freestone models provide a signal box detailing kit both in 4 and 7mm which includes stairs and handrails ( Jerry, 01993 775979 ) or alternatively, Plastruct.

Plastruct 4mm stairs come in 150mm lengths ready assembled ( cat number 90662 )) and handrails to match ( cat number 90692 ) both found on ebay.

Anyway, I'm not the signal box legend, Peter Leyland ( Gravy Train ) is.

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

I've never built a signal box but have done model ship ladders, which I think look the same?

post-22541-0-99922800-1495752310_thumb.jpg

These are usually built from timber, I use a jig, (mines 10mm MDF but you could use something else if you dont have the tools to cut small slots in timber):

post-22541-0-21463300-1495752772.jpg

To avoid having to cut the slots at an angle, you can cut them vertically, then cut out the jig at the correct angle (as per red outline in this badly drawn picture)

post-22541-0-47806200-1495752990.jpg

There are other techniques if you trawl model ship sites, and you used to be able to get jigs like this from model ship suppliers, though standard ship scales are 1'8th inch to the foot. which would be a bit small for 4mm..

And if you were only doing one then  the Allan Downes method above makes the most sense!

Edited by monkeysarefun

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to be a truly awesome build Peter.

What intrigued me was the stove pipe being located at the FRONT of the building but, as they say, and here's proof, that their's a prototype for everything.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Cheers.

Allan

Probably means the lever frame is at the back of the box. Banbury North is an example that springs readily to mind but there where numerous others.

• 7 months later...

For the brickwork I’m going to turn to my plaster mold method. I have made a mold of my own bricks, scribed by hand. This can create a wall that equates to a scale of around a foot thick, which makes for more realistic window apertures and doorways. I was disappointed by the brick sheets on the market, I always thought the bricks were too big or not the right shape. A long and arduous process to create this but now I have a mold I can cast walls quickly to my own spec. The signal box brickwork will need some modification as there are features on the front facade.

This mold is cast in two-part silicone that should last for 50+ pulls. Cost about £15. The plaster is giftware grade hydrocal R - a very nice product to shape and paint. It tends to allow for a Matt finish which is perfect.

post-21051-0-55413300-1518554353_thumb.jpeg

For those of you who haven’t seen my finished brickwork before, the finish is like this:

post-21051-0-02080600-1518554869_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Peterkern23
  • Like 2

Judging from your previous models I'm sure this will be another excellent one when finished. I do like your approach to modelling, very realistic.

Grahame

Edited by bgman

• 2 weeks later...

I do love the small almost hidden details which give this a totally realistic and believable aura, excellent modelling.

More please as and when :)

Grahame

Sorry, I meant to ask how you achieved the realistic lead roofing, I ask because I intent to replicate a lead sheet roof soon and would be grateful if you would share the technique with us.

Grahame

Thanks again Grahame,

Lead is reasonably easy to reproduce.

I personally use “green stuff” but it’s tricky to work with.

There’s no reason why you couldn’t use stick labels carefully cut to shape.

Then you would paint it Matt black and using a very sharp and soft pencil, colour it in with it.

Thanks again Grahame,

Lead is reasonably easy to reproduce.

I personally use “green stuff” but it’s tricky to work with.

There’s no reason why you couldn’t use stick labels carefully cut to shape.

Then you would paint it Matt black and using a very sharp and soft pencil, colour it in with it.

I have recently re-read a superb book by Emmanuel Nouaillier, who produces superb models and techniques and uses Humbrol enamels mixed with various Mig products plus other ancillary materials amongst which is graphite to get a realistic lead finish to roofs etc.

I may try both yours and his methods to see how I get on. Thank you.

Grahame

Just two examples of his work for interest ...

post-20303-0-27192700-1519262924.jpeg

post-20303-0-98023900-1519262934.jpeg

Edited by bgman

• 2 weeks later...

Signal box brickwork underway. Using giftware plaster, a router and a dremel. Also a spot of Lilliput clay, a knife and some spittle for the window bricks lintels.

Gone a bit cross eyed doing this. So glad there are only two walls that feature any detail!post-21051-0-61273000-1520469030_thumb.jpegpost-21051-0-83273900-1520469129_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...