Helston Station

post-17866-0-63164400-1495663892.jpg

The branch that ran from Gwinear Road to Helston closed to passengers in 1962. all that is left now at Helston is the platform and the Goods Shed, which acts as a community centre, the station site is now a sheltered housing complex.
Two years ago, I created a permanent display of St Agnes station, which resides in the Museum at St Agnes, I am now a member of the Helston railway project, which plans to re-open part of the original line, so I decided to make an 00 gauge model of the very large station at Helston

post-17866-0-54187200-1495663881_thumb.jpg

This is a view of the platform side, from the Helston end.

post-17866-0-63164400-1495663892.jpg

This is the view of the roadside, also from the Helston end

post-17866-0-69251200-1495664054_thumb.jpg

I decided to add lighting for a better effect and this shows a close up of the station entrance.

post-17866-0-48443400-1495664071_thumb.jpg

This is a view looking along the station from the Gwinear Road end. There are a few things to finish and tidy up, but as yet I'm not sure if it will be part of a layout, or just a single display item

I am also trying to get line drawings of St Ives and Bodmin General, so if anyone has any info on these two stations, I would be very grateful.

Edited by 0820PerranporthPaddington
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 8 months later...

Hi - just stumbled on this thread, whilst checking pics re point rodding runs.

Thought you might be interested to know I have / am building a layout based on Helston, which is on here as A Cartoon of Helstonish

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115712-a-cartoon-of-helstonish/

I built my station building last winter, and it can be seen in post 102 page 5. Although there will be better in situ pics further on.

I particularly like your canopy supports, mine are a bit of a cop out they do the job, but are quite hidden so not detailed.

Will yours become part of something bigger?

All the best

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

hi..

My uncle "Norman Godden" used to work at Helston station during his school holidays at first and then latter full time, unfortulaty he is long gone (mutch loved childhood memories playing trains with him, while the rest of the family was doing family stuff), this would have been around 1950's and 60's have you got a source for any photo's from that time, as its also the line my mum took to school :) 

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

There are drawings by Pat English of all the buildings at Helston (plus some from Praze and Nancegollen) in the Oakwood Press book on the line. They were of a similar design to the structures on the St Ives branch (same architect, I believe), so even if they were of a different  design, you could use the proportions of the Helston drawings as a basis.

David C

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

For those interested I am slowly turning Pat's drawings of the main Helston buildings into CAD models and then on to laser cutting diagrams which LCUT are turning into parts - see

Edited by Andy Keane